ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan's Jim Harbaugh slams status-quo, backs student-athlete revenue sharing

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
He directly called out/responded to Jack Swarbrick's quotes/article in the NY Times.

Jim Harbaugh opened his Monday news conference with a nearly 6-minute statement advocating for revenue sharing with student-athletes.

Amen brother! Agreed with all of his points 100%

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Football players getting a cut of the TV money is certainly coming. Might take another seven years, but it is difficult to see it not being adopted eventually.

He directly called out/responded to Jack Swarbrick's quotes/article in the NY Times.

Jim Harbaugh opened his Monday news conference with a nearly 6-minute statement advocating for revenue sharing with student-athletes.

Figures

Go follow Michigan.

What exactly are the consequences to collegiate ifootball then.......how bloated does this get?
One step closer to destruction

Paying players won't kill college football. It will turn more sports back to club level, but that IMO is fine.

The only thing that may destroy college football is if it dries up at the high school level due to injury concerns. That probably won't happen for at least 50 years, and it won't be a problem I will face.

I agree with Harbaugh. Players should get a cut if it's such a business. More so with transfers, NIL, and, let's face it, nominal affiliation and participation as students...as the top football schools feature REALLY easy degree paths, putting football 1st.

Harbaugh recognizes this for what it is. He actually stands up to a clearly corrupt NCAA that selectively applies justice. Frankly I'm surprised the BIG doesn't defend him more...as they should take a note from the PAC and how it abandoned USC for doing what SEC teams routinely do.

College football is nakedly sordid. This emperor has no clothes. For me it long as devolved into contrived entertainment, not fair competition as a student-athlete ideal.

Surprisingly, I am more attuned to Notre Dame in this context than ever. To be sure I've always been a fan. But the Irish is the 1 student-athlete team that could possibly win a NC and upend some of all this...although highly unlikely.

Either way, I don't see how college football stays relevant. Will fans still watch and follow as colleges become a front for semipro football? Probably a leading question.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
If they are classified as employees, which is most likely inevitable, 4 year eligibility goes out the window as well. It will also unbind student and athlete. At that point this is no different than any professional football league. What's to stop someone who isn't good enough to get to the next level from just remaining at the college level as an employee, collecting a paycheck.

Honestly, the billions upon billions of dollars the NFL makes, they should go the baseball route and develop a farm system. Instead they've used college football as their farm system.

With their own farm system, they can then draft straight out of high school and the athletes can then choose their path, either college or go pro.

Reactions: BGI User 756
The NHL drafts players and many choose to play in college for up to four years. The NFL is reluctant to go that path because they are afraid of losing a selection to injury. And they don't want a farm system because they are afraid of the cost. I think an NFL farm system could flourish in the Spring.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Paying players won't kill college football. It will turn more sports back to club level, but that IMO is fine.

The only thing that may destroy college football is if it dries up at the high school level due to injury concerns. That probably won't happen for at least 50 years, and it won't be a problem I will face.
You don't see outside parties that have nothing to do with football damaging the game?

You don't see outside parties that have nothing to do with football damaging the game?

The outside parties (mostly ESPN & FOX) are already here. And the players are more central to the game than bloated athletic departments, bowl reps, etc.

I also would like to see all players get health insurance that covers any long term injury.

And no matter what I want, I believe players receiving pay is coming. The only constant is change.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT