ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2015 Preakness Stakes

I did some triples. 1,2,4. 1,2,8 1,5,8 1,2,5 Off the wall 2,4,8 Long shot Tale Of Verve Dallas Stewart trainer.

Preakness yes. Belmont no.

As I said out of shear racing ignorance. Yes to the Preakness but it will all come down to a crashing end in a few weeks. I only say this out of gut feeling, not out of expertise. I've heard a few experts discuss the Triple Crown and they sounded very convincing that American Pharaoh cannot run the long race. Are they correct?

1 1/4 mile is a long race. All of the horses will have to run the whole Belmont distance. If there is a better horse, he has not run in either the Derby or the Preakness.

The Belmont
As I said out of shear racing ignorance. Yes to the Preakness but it will all come down to a crashing end in a few weeks. I only say this out of gut feeling, not out of expertise. I've heard a few experts discuss the Triple Crown and they sounded very convincing that American Pharaoh cannot run the long race. Are they correct?

The Belmont Stakes is a mile and a half, which is a damn long race for a horse---that's why no horse has won the Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978. I've been to the Belmont Stakes twice, and you get a real sense of how long the race is when you're there watching it in person---it seems like it goes on forever. While I think American Pharoah obviously has a chance, it will be tough. Let's not forget that California Chrome and other horses (e.g. Smarty Jones, Big Brown, War Emblem, Alysheba, I'll Have Another, Silver Charm, Spectacular Bid, etc...) had some convincing wins in the Derby and/or Preakness and then look bad in the Belmont. I think American Pharoah will be in the same category, but of course only time will tell. Hope I'm wrong. Not a fan of Baffert, but the sport could use a Triple Crown winner to rekindle interest in the sport.

Pharoah crushed the field - the jockey held him back after taking the early lead for most of the race - that was an impressive win.

The Belmont

The Belmont Stakes is a mile and a half, which is a damn long race for a horse---that's why no horse has won the Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978. I've been to the Belmont Stakes twice, and you get a real sense of how long the race is when you're there watching it in person---it seems like it goes on forever. While I think American Pharoah obviously has a chance, it will be tough. Let's not forget that California Chrome and other horses (e.g. Smarty Jones, Big Brown, War Emblem, Alysheba, I'll Have Another, Silver Charm, Spectacular Bid, etc...) had some convincing wins in the Derby and/or Preakness and then look bad in the Belmont. I think American Pharoah will be in the same category, but of course only time will tell. Hope I'm wrong. Not a fan of Baffert, but the sport could use a Triple Crown winner to rekindle interest in the sport.

Bid was probably the best horse NOT to win the TC.

Reactions: wicker
AP is the most accomplished of all the recent TC hopefuls (I'm not including Bid). Not sure The Gods of Racing have anything against him winning, as they may have with flashes in the pan like Real Quiet and Charismatic.

I say he does it.

i am not sure but didn't Sham break records in all three TC races while finishing second to Sec?

On the non scientific lighter side, I was reading a piece and the author predicts AP to win the triple crown because of his name. The author claims that all triple crown winners had names that commanded respect and spread fear among the other riders. American Pharaoh has the same commanding name. I mean, if you are going to bet the farm on AP, this is as good reason as any in the eyes of the author.

On the non scientific lighter side, I was reading a piece and the author predicts AP to win the triple crown because of his name. The author claims that all triple crown winners had names that commanded respect and spread fear among the other riders. American Pharaoh has the same commanding name. I mean, if you are going to bet the farm on AP, this is as good reason as any in the eyes of the author.

Interesting theory, but I'm not sure Seattle Slew was a name that necessarily spread fear among other riders.

Pharoah crushed the field - the jockey held him back after taking the early lead for most of the race - that was an impressive win.

Not denying that it was impressive, but Smarty Jones' Preakness victory in 2004 was even more so if I recall correctly.

Probably the best ever. Sec then/or Man-O-War. after those two? Affirmed is a good choice.
(was it Alydar then that finished second in all three races?)

how many 'other' colts do you think will be in the race?

this may be a de facto solo appearance. Not a real great class.

The mob will remind espinosa about the dirt nap he will take if he wins....no way no triple crown......2 much money 2 lose if he wins....remember guys ny racing is the most corrupt org. goin

ADVERTISEMENT