ADVERTISEMENT

Football Notre Dame Pro Day - Initial Thoughts (UPDATED: Pro Day Numbers Added)

Bryan Driskell

Football Analyst
Apr 19, 2015
Granger, IN
My recap from today's Pro Day at Notre Dame.

* Talked to Alex Bars for a bit before the Pro Day started. Physically he looked great. No bad weight on him, which is always the concern for an OL going through a lower body rehab. Said he's still ahead of schedule and expect to be full go by mini-camp.

* Jerry Tillery had his arm in a sling due to the recent shoulder surgery he went through, but he was in attendance.

* ND SID Michael Bertsch tweeted that Tyler Newsome did 30 reps on the bench.

* I confirmed scouts from 27 teams, and Notre Dame tweeted out that all 32 had someone in attendance.

DRUE TRANQUILL, LB

I wasn't sure Tranquill could build on his brilliant combine performance, but he did. Tranquill only did drills, rightly choosing to stand on his combine numbers. During drills he thrived. His foot quickness was top notch, his movements were fluid and smooth and he showed explosiveness. There was a weave drill they ask the LB's to do and Tranquill stayed right on the line the entire time, and his transitions were clean. It was exactly what a coach wants to see from a linebacker. If there was a scout that doubted him after the combine, I would imagine those doubts have been permanently erased.

JULIAN LOVE, CB

40 Time: 4.45, 4.51
10-Yard Split: 1.59, 1.64
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.20 (slower than his 4.10 from the Combine)
3-Cone Drill: 6.83 (slower than his 6.72 from the Combine)

Love had an up-and-down day. He improved his 40-time, with his official numbers being 4.45 and 4.51, but he went down in the 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone drill. He wasn't as sharp during position drills. His transitions were good in some drills but in some other drills the DB coaches kept getting on him b/c he was guessing, and a couple times he really got caught doing it and they jumped all over him. But overall his movements were good, but he just didn't dominate like I felt he needed to in order to jump into the first round.

TE'VON CONEY, LB

40 Time:
4.72, 4.72
10-Yard Split: 1.75, 1.71
Vertical: 32 1/2"
Broad Jump: 116"
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.45
3-Cone Drill: 7.33
Bench: 18

Like Love, Coney's day was a bit up and down. His testing numbers weren't good despite him being down to 229 pounds. He ran a 4.72 in both 40-yard dashes and he ran a 4.45 in the 20-yard shuttle and 7.33 in the 3-cone drill. Compare those to Tranquill's 4.14 and 6.94. Coney also did just 18 reps on the bench, compared to Tranquill's 31 at the Combine. The side-to-side shuffle linebackers drills and the plant and drive linebacker drills allowed Coney to show off what he does best .... come down hill. The drills where he had to open his hips or show suddenness laterally were areas where he had some struggles. His hips are tight and you could see that in the weave and backpedal drills. You could also see it when he was running the 40, but he's incredibly cut and defined, he clearly has power on the field and his plant and drive is good.

NICK COLEMAN, DB

40 Time: 4.59, 4.63
10-Yard Split: 1.69, 1.64
Vertical: 36"
Broad Jump: 121"
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.27
3-Cone Drill: 6.96
Bench: 14

Coleman might have put himself on some team's radar after today. His testing numbers weren't as good as he looked going through the drills. He looked like he was moving, and he looked really fluid and sharp during testing. Coleman was also very sharp and fluid during position drills. The DB coaches putting them through drills lauded him several times. I think there are legit questions about his feel for playing DB from an instincts standpoint, but his athleticism was really good today and his late season film stood out.

MILES BOYKIN, WR

Boykin only did position drills, which was expected after his dominant combine performance. He caught the ball well, was crisp as a route runner, tracked the deep ball well and showed good vertical burst off the line. I had him down for one drop on a deep in route, but other than that he caught the ball clean, away from his body and showed the body control that we see on film. It was another good day for him from what I could tell.

ALIZÉ MACK, TE

Mack did exactly what anyone who has watched him the last four years would expect. He looked very athletic during position drills and showed a really good burst off the line. His route technique was above average and he showed tremendous ball catching skills. He attacked the football, he made a sick one-handed grab and showed very good body control for a tight end. And then he had two drops that hit him right in he hands where he started to look away before he secured the catch. Overall a good day because he showed off his size and athleticism, but the couple of drops made me shake my head.

DEXTER WILLIAMS, RB

40-Time: 4.59, 4.59
10-Yard Splits: 1.62, 1.63

Williams ran a slower 40-time (4.59) than he did at the Combine. Part of the issue is his running style. On the field he's smooth, fluid and low exertion, but running the 40 he exerts himself way, way too much, which any track coach will tell you is basically fighting against your body. He looked explosive moving around during drills, but he had multiple drops in the pass game and even when he caught the ball his hands were stiff and he fought the ball. At times he would even move his head back, which is the mark of someone who isn't confident catching the football. His pass catching ability was a concern coming into the Pro Day and it's a concern for him coming out of the Pro Day. But in typical Dex fashion, he had a smile on his face all day, and you have to love that about the young man.

JONATHAN BONNER, DT

Height: 6-0 3/4"
Weight: 289
Hand: 10 4/8"
Wingspan: 81 5/8"
Arm Length: 33 4/8"
40 Time: 4.96, 5.01
10-Yard Split: 2.89, 2.94
Vertical: 32 1/2"
Broad Jump: 116"
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.69
3-Cone Drill: 7.41

I thought Bonner had a really good day. His testing numbers were quite good for an interior DL, and he looked clean and smooth during the various agility drills and he wasn't doing the high-exertion running that we often see when running the 40. He wore down a bit at the end (he was the only DL going through drills and they were working him hard), but he showed good hand quickness, good movement skills and he took coaching well. I don't know if what he did today was good enough to get him drafted or to get him on a roster, but he certainly put his best foot forward, which comes after having the best game of his career against Clemson.

NIC WEISHAR, TE

40 Time: 5.01, 5.06
10-Yard Split: 1.88, 1.80
Vertical: 27"
Broad Jump: 104"
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.52
3-Cone Drill: 7.13
Bench: 15

He showed excellent catching ability during drills, but he just doesn't cover much ground and is not overly sharp out of breaks.

SAM MUSTIPHER, OL

Height: 6-2 6/8"
Weight: 304
Hand: 9"
Wingspan: 79 4/8"
Arm Length: 32 1/8"
40 Time: 5.59, 5.66
10-Yard Split: 2.03, 1.96
Vertical: 26 1/2"
Broad Jump: 103"
20-Yard Shuttle: 4.84
3-Cone Drill: 8.25
Bench: 20

I thought he moved better than I expected him to move, but his testing numbers were poor. He actually showed me some bending ability (knees) and his movement was good. His footwork looked crisp in the drills I saw and he actually did a solid job with his lateral quickness and COD. We aren't supposed to root for people and we are supposed to remain objective, and I will do that when evaluating Mustipher's performance, but he's the kind of young man you root for and pull for. Hopefully today's workout combined with his 2017 film can catch an OL coach's attention.

FORMER ND PLAYERS

* DB Justin Brent looks to be in tremendous shape from a muscular standpoint, he was incredibly stiff. His COD was really tight and he was heavy footed on his plant and drive movements. He worked out with the DB's. He ran a 4.71 in the 40 and had a 4.55 in the 20-yard shuttle. His 7.08 in the 3-cone drill was decent. Brent had 22 reps on the bench.

* CB Nick Watkins looked smooth in drills but he lacks explosiveness. He ran good times with a 4.57 and a 4.53. He had a 4.22 in the pro-shuttle and a really good time of 6.82 in the 3-cone drill to go with 15 reps on the bench. His 33 1/2" vertical and 120" broad jump were average.

* WR Corey Holmes ran a 4.52with a 1.58 and a 1.56 10-yard split number. He had a 38 1/2" vertical with a 116" broad jump. His 4.08 pro-shuttle was very good but his 7.34 in the 3-cone was average. Holmes did 12 reps on the bench and measured in at 6-1 1/8" and 183 pounds"

* Tommy Rees threw the ball extremely well and allowed the pass catchers to make plays on well thrown balls.

FULL RESULTS

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News