ADVERTISEMENT

No Bryant

wicker

I've posted how many times?
Jan 30, 2002
Academically ineligible, per Brian Hamilton's twitter

in the end he was less productive that James Aldridge! At least JA was a great citizen and team'er!

Bryant really really really needed that diploma! His next carry may be someones luggage!

Last edited:
Hope this is not true, but he's had a really difficult time making the transition to college life at ND. This young man may have the physical tools to play on Sunday, and he's wasted three years prepping for the chance.

Hope this is not true, but he's had a really difficult time making the transition to college life at ND. This young man may have the physical tools to play on Sunday, and he's wasted three years prepping for the chance.
Hearing that he needed a B+ in a class and got a B-..... apparently, his father is the source.....

Will be a great story when he turns it around hopefully. Tantalized by his talent and hopeful for him. But if this is the third of our offseason transgressions, we've come out a lot better than recent past offseasons.

Well the good news is you never want to wear out your body in College.....you need those fresh legs in the pros! Seriously though I would imagine he cannot play anywhere in 2015 and he will need to decide if he can cut it academically at Notre Dame as there could be a good opportunity for playing time in 2016 and 2017 if required. If not I think you will see him transfer to somewhere in Florida....or maybe even Ohio State and try to put together a great 2016 and try and get drafted.

I am thinking Bryant might head to OSU as they have a major in rolling blunts or UCLA where Snoops kid can hook him up with some good stuff. I am kidding. I am hoping Bryant will take his medicine and return and start to show some of his talent but I wonder. I love me some T. Folston and Procise and one of the frosh will take some of the load. Amir will have to get cross trained as well.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Too stupid for ND. Do they move Carlyle back to rb for depth? Any senior rb transfers available? Players on defense that can play rb?

Father also said it was in African Studies. B+, B-, whatever. Ridiculous to make him ineligible over such a minor discrepancy. This is why the big time players don't come to ND.

Its half a letter grade which is more then a minor discrepancy. Also, the reason he needed a B+ and not a B- is because there is another grade(s) out there that are much worse then the B- and he had to balance those out. There are are lot of reasons why big time players do or do not come to ND lets not pretend like academics is the only hurdle ND has to jump.

Father also said it was in African Studies. B+, B-, whatever. Ridiculous to make him ineligible over such a minor discrepancy. This is why the big time players don't come to ND.
I took a course at ND called "People's of Africa". The professor sat on his desk when he taught and discussed his years in the jungle living among bushman, Hottentots, Zulu, pygmy, Watusi..... It was fascinating and Don Quixote like. He spoke click and other languages in the class. The way some tribes communicated mirrored sounds of the jungle to hide from predators, set up attacks..... It was a fun class and an easy A....2 ten page papers....

I wonder if Justin Brent will move to RB now . I think he has the ability to be a great player . He was a RB in HS so the move might not be a bad one. If Folston were to go down that would leave ND with Procise and 2 Freshmen in the backfield. Not a good thing at all. This is a tough game and Folston was banged up bit last year. This loss right now does not seem to be too bad but an injury here and there on the offense and there could be some problems . Suntract Golson and Bryant and if MZ and Folston ere to go down and we maybe looking at Wimbush and Williams in the backfield . 2 freshmen. On the other hand if procise is the real deal as a back this can give him the opportunity to get more carries. Folston is a solid back but is do not see breakaway ability in his game but Procise does.

Reactions: Nocalirish
Well I'm sorry to hear this news. However, there is plenty of skill that can fill the void. I really hope Greg Bryant sticks it out and gets back on track.he has a ton of potential. I realize we haven't seen fully what he is capable of doing. More importantly is how he handles adversity. I am not going to speculate on what he did or didn't do. I just wish him the best and hope to see him starting in the Irish backfield next year. There is an opportunity for someone to make an impact. Who will it be? Stay tuned, I think it's going to be a fun year. Go Irish!

Are people really this stupid? If you need to get a B+ to get the MINIMUM GPA required to be eligible, a B- is going to put you BELOW the minimum GPA required to be eligible. It's just math.

Was this an NCAA thing or an ND thing?
The NCAA "thing" is looming in the background.
We are waiting for their ruling.
We may be forced to vacate wins for playing academically ineligible players.
I'm hoping the NCAA is merciful, but it could get very ugly.....

at other schools they could have posted the B+ before classes even began!

as a Walking Dead fan, I liken this to the moralistic Dale character; always taking the high road to preserve the social moray that had ceased to exist. Oh, Dale got eaten by a Zombie(a walker).

Last edited:

Great recruiting story. Another success. And you wonder why top skilled people don't come here?

And while we are on the subject, the South Bend school system has voted to lower academic standards to play sports. It used to be a 2.0 GPA would be the minimum to participate. It has been lowered to 1.85 for Juniors and even less for underclassmen. This is a teaching moment for everyone in that the less you demand and expect, the less you will get. Is that what Irish athletes expect of themselves? Less? I would think that Irish athletes and students didn't come to ND not to be challenged. Is it a matter of time management? Laziness? The work is too difficult for some? I don't know what the answer is but it sounds like BK is not happy with GB right about now. I hope GB gets this fixed and can have a successful return to the program.

Whatever? The problem with this situation in the first place is personal accountability, so to solve that we just remove the requirements altogether! Hilarious, you must be a millennial. I mean his father was quoted as saying that he basically blamed this on the coaches not staying on him and the transition of running backs coaches. I think the discussion should be how did it get so bad in all his other courses that it got to this point, not just removing requirements (the ncaa's no less) so he can do whatever he wants and play. And ND gets plenty of elite talent regardless.

Last edited:
Don't see this as an indictment against the program or coaches. The father's apparent comments blaming the coaches and the change in running back coaches are misguided in my opinion. He need not look any further than his son for an explanation for what has transpired. While I support Kelly's push for an even stronger academic support system for athletes given their time commitments, it seems to me that Bryant just has had a very difficult time making the transition. His body language on the sidelines his freshman year, his seeming reluctance to learn the play book and blocking assignments his sophomore year, his insistence on running his way rather than as coached, and failing to meet the minimum GPA this past semester, etc... all point to a young man who has simply failed to buy in and to be held accountable. A great end of story would be his triumphant return to the team next year with great on and off the field performance.

Telx

good post! ...the end of the story sentence probably might be more TV than reality though.

Sometimes a kid has no one to blame except himself.

Investigate the Professor. Make sure they have everything on order.

All of these academic casualties over the last three years are African american. Is their a disconnect with the university here?

ADVERTISEMENT