ADVERTISEMENT

NFL deflate-gate report out

BGI User 348

I've posted how many times?
Aug 29, 2003
Pennsylvania
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ion-implicates-pats--tom-brady-173408354.html

Ha! My 1st reading of the texts concludes it was "just guys fooling around". Definitely NO smoking gun here. If anything.....Walt Anderson was told PREGAME to be alert for underinflated footballs......then he DOES NOT retest them after KNOWING they left the officials room without his knowledge!!?? CRAZY. NFL guilty as charged!!!!

Congrats to Brady & Pats from this Eagles fan!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ion-implicates-pats--tom-brady-173408354.html

Ha! My 1st reading of the texts concludes it was "just guys fooling around". Definitely NO smoking gun here. If anything.....Walt Anderson was told PREGAME to be alert for underinflated footballs......then he DOES NOT retest them after KNOWING they left the officials room without his knowledge!!?? CRAZY. NFL guilty as charged!!!!

A whole lot of "more probable than not" in there. Nothing very definitive.

Such a crock. I'm clearly biased as a Pats fan. How the league can pursue discipline based on "more probable than not" is silly. While there's no proof of anything, I'm sure Brady tells the guys to keep the balls as low as possible. The guys involved, in their texts seem to HATE Brady and joked about inflating the balls to the size of rugby balls. Aaron Rodgers said that he likes the balls to be OVER inflated. It seems to me that most teams, and QBs, like to get the balls to meet their preference, rules be damned. And quite frankly, the fact that there is a rule about how inflated a ball can be, or not be, seems preposterous. This is a sport where officials almost arbitrarily "spot" the ball after every play, yet the inflation of said ball is more important? I'd much rather utilize some technology, like soccer has with goal line technology, to ensure a first down has properly been earned, or not, than worry about if Brady's footballs are a little soft and Rodgers' are a little firm.

End. Rant.

Reactions: Crimsonite1
NBC guy made the point tonite that the act of checking pressures LOWERS the psi. Was that too mentioned in the report? NHIrish......was the one NH guy your neighbor? ;)

If the NFL doesnt come down on Brady for this, then any team should cheat as they see fit. This is a second offense for this cheater franchise, and if the proper punishment isnt handed out then it sets a bad precedent.

Cheating is cheating and the NFL needs to take care of bidness! BTW, cheating ain't never a HA!

Brady's wife will call the shots on this - few favors in the NFL head office - but the Patriots - cheating - murdering hoods - what's next.

No, its an "agenda" to punish someone who "cheated"
"cheating" is prominent in many forms all the time. always has always will. tons and tons of examples in almost every sport. Gaylord Perry thumbed his nose at major league baseball every time he took the mound. he's in the hall of fame. I just think people react based on how they feel about the individual in question. receivers spray their gloves with stickum. we sprayed Pam on our jerseys when I played and it's still done now. boomer esiason said the balls have been altered since the nfl changed the rules allowing teams to have their own game balls. a change in protocol will eliminate this sort of thing. the nfl can certainly afford two sideline ball officials at every game. simple.

Last edited:

The NFL also checked Indianapolis' balls that game. Wells report stated that 3/4 of the Colt's balls were also under inflated.

The NFL also checked Indianapolis' balls that game. Wells report stated that 3/4 of the Colt's balls were also under inflated.
the ball pregame ball checking is a joke. just like weigh ins at fights. they weigh in a day or two before then gain 5 pounds.

"cheating" is prominent in many forms all the time. always has always will. tons and tons of examples in almost every sport"

I didnt argue that, but when you get caught, and they are now repeat offenders, you cant "let it go" for that reason, did you look at their fumble numbers over the last 4 of 5 years? Who knows how many games it affected...

Jerry Rice publically said he wore stickum after it was banned. Not a single word from fans or the media. No cries to have his records dissolved. Pure silence. Aaron Rodgers likes his footballs overflated. Again, not a peep out of anyone. Brad Johnson paid to have his footballs doctored. Not a word from anyone. Those calling for Tom Brady's head seem to want the job of executioner and enforce the rules on some but remain silent on others. This whole drama can be a "Seinfeld" episode. A story about nothing.

My thoughts on this from day one are the same: The NFL has no one to blame but itself!!! It cannot even keep control of footballs when the Head ref was told to be on alert before an AFC championship game????? What if the Pats had gone up 50 to 0 in the 1st half?????? NFL=Three stooges act!! Fire the Head of Officiating/Security!!!

Reactions: echowaker
The only problem with this and 10,000 other sports problems is very simple - Electronic media. The best thing that could happen to the entire world and all the B.S. problems that fly around every day, is for the media and communications systems to regress to pre 1950's technology. Hey people, it's only going to get much, much worse. It's not as difficult to believe in an apocalyptic world as it once was.

So what I'm reading from some of you is, cheating is okay because others have done it, and if we didnt have news or media, or social media, cheating is still okay because then we wouldnt know? Also, crimsonite, really? The best thing that could happen is to regress to pre 1950's technology, or the apocalypse will happen? I hope you people dont coach or teach our youth....

The hypocrisy in wanting the head of Tom Brady but complete silence for Jerry Rice is astounding. Jerry Rice admitted as recently as February that he cheated by using the illegal stickum. He claims everybody did it. Chris Carter says no, everybody didn't do it. And the world stood silent. The media, sports talk, social media, this board, fans in general. Back in January, Aaron Rodgers admitted that he overinflates footballs beyond the legal limit because that is the way he likes it. And the world stood silent, including this board and social media. That takes us to Brad Johnson who admits last January that he paid "people" over 7 large to scuff 100 footballs according to his specs for the 2003 Super Bowl. And the world stood silent including this board. The media is diggin' every second of this Tom Brady drama while they kill themselves making Ray Lewis feel quite at home in their self important little world. This is a non story made big by the media and some willing accomplices known as fans.

The hypocrisy in wanting the head of Tom Brady but complete silence for Jerry Rice is astounding. Jerry Rice admitted as recently as February that he cheated by using the illegal stickum. He claims everybody did it. Chris Carter says no, everybody didn't do it. And the world stood silent. The media, sports talk, social media, this board, fans in general. Back in January, Aaron Rodgers admitted that he overinflates footballs beyond the legal limit because that is the way he likes it. And the world stood silent, including this board and social media. That takes us to Brad Johnson who admits last January that he paid "people" over 7 large to scuff 100 footballs according to his specs for the 2003 Super Bowl. And the world stood silent including this board. The media is diggin' every second of this Tom Brady drama while they kill themselves making Ray Lewis feel quite at home in their self important little world. This is a non story made big by the media and some willing accomplices known as fans.

It is obvious the NFL has absolutely NO CONTROL over its own rules as it relates to football psi. Therefore they have NO IDEA who did or did not adjust the psi to personal preference. As I have also stated this is no big deal. Each QB should throw a football that maximizes his own performance!!! Heck they spend an incredible amount of time massaging them anyway!!!

"......And by then, maybe he can avoid talking about another subject he knows little about: the science of footballs.

''I went to Tennessee, I can't give you that much information,'' Manning said sarcastically. ''A man's got to know his limitations.''

Peyton being funny...serious???

Much to do about nothing. Aaron Rodgers admits that he likes the ball over the legal limit. They would have kicked the crap out of the Colts with a beach ball.

Jerry Rice publically said he wore stickum after it was banned. Not a single word from fans or the media. No cries to have his records dissolved. Pure silence. Aaron Rodgers likes his footballs overflated. Again, not a peep out of anyone. Brad Johnson paid to have his footballs doctored. Not a word from anyone. Those calling for Tom Brady's head seem to want the job of executioner and enforce the rules on some but remain silent on others. This whole drama can be a "Seinfeld" episode. A story about nothing.
exactly. it's all about how folks feel about the individual in question.

So what I'm reading from some of you is, cheating is okay because others have done it, and if we didnt have news or media, or social media, cheating is still okay because then we wouldnt know? Also, crimsonite, really? The best thing that could happen is to regress to pre 1950's technology, or the apocalypse will happen? I hope you people dont coach or teach our youth....
c'mon. it's like ten cars in a row going over the speed limit and only one gets pulled over. who here is above reproach ? let's not make sports more important than it is. I coach and teach. I don't teach or condone cheating but I'm also not going to turn a blind eye to reality. professional sports are multi billion dollar entities. of course folks are going to try to gain an edge. the competition is fierce. please tell me what entity in the world doesn;t bend the "rules" in some manner.

Brady can play around with this thing with the media and drive them nuts. He's getting up in years and has so much money he can just toy with these clowns. I doubt the NFL or Patriots will do anything. He's too much of a financial asset for them.

If Gisele was my wife, I would prefer to be with her instead of trying to make the media happy. Screw the NFL and the media. Tom has made all of them a ton of cabbage.

Reactions: Bodizephax
"let's not make sports more important than it is. I coach and teach."

Great, and it sounds like you condone cheating, good job! It sounds like you want to give a pass to the most visible person on the most visible franchise for cheating, so what message does that send in your opinion? By the way, this is sports, its not making it more important than it is, its trying to keep the sport from becoming a laughing stock for giving a pass to someone because of who they are. Pretty basic concept in my opinion, glad my kids dont play on your team...

"let's not make sports more important than it is. I coach and teach."

Great, and it sounds like you condone cheating, good job! It sounds like you want to give a pass to the most visible person on the most visible franchise for cheating, so what message does that send in your opinion? By the way, this is sports, its not making it more important than it is, its trying to keep the sport from becoming a laughing stock for giving a pass to someone because of who they are. Pretty basic concept in my opinion, glad my kids dont play on your team...
did brady cheat ? did he personally take air out of the balls ? if you ever drove over the posted speed limit you are much more guilty than tom brady ever will be in this situation. were your children in the car when you drove over the limit ? what are you teaching them in that situation ? you can be high and mighty all you like but are you truly lily white in every phase of your life ? I don't teach or condone cheating but I do understand the realities of it in every part of life not just sports.

Try to stay on topic, I'm not an NFL QB and Ive never asked for my footballs to be deflated to give me an advantage in a sport where a lot money is spent on tickets or merchandise, etc. If your only argument is my speeding or not, thats very shallow and sound like you're making excuses for someone, and not unlike someone else bringing up the fact that some other players have cheated and gotten away with it. Those issues are separate and dont have any bearing here.This issue is cut and dried, the Patriots broke the rules, AGAIN, and were caught, AGAIN, and should be appropriately punished.

Try to stay on topic, I'm not an NFL QB and Ive never asked for my footballs to be deflated to give me an advantage in a sport where a lot money is spent on tickets or merchandise, etc. If your only argument is my speeding or not, thats very shallow and sound like you're making excuses for someone, and not unlike someone else bringing up the fact that some other players have cheated and gotten away with it. Those issues are separate and dont have any bearing here.This issue is cut and dried, the Patriots broke the rules, AGAIN, and were caught, AGAIN, and should be appropriately punished.
I don't disagree that there should be punishment. there should be. it's still akin to jaywalking in my eyes. my point was folks in every walk of life bend or break the rules all the time. you get caught you face the consequences. this is hardly a serious matter. hall of famer gary Zimmerman was fined 5k for greasing up in his playing days. to me that's no different than this. brady should be fined if its PROVEN he's guilty of breaking the rules. the language used in the Wells report hardly proves that. game suspension seems like the death penalty for a parking violation. I'm not an nfl player either. wrong is wrong. the punishment should be equitable to the infraction.

Agree to disgree then, because in my opinion, if the sport loses its integrity, its not worth watching, and I love football and dont want to see that happen. Really for me, it wasnt just that deflating gave him a better grip, but those fumble numbers were eye popping, that changes the game, and is much more than just "jaywalking".

When it's apparently common knowledge that NFL QBs go to great lengths to alter the balls(based on quotes from past and present NFL QBs) why should one guy be punished because he "more probably than not" had something to do with it? Like I said before, Aaron Rodgers has admitted to trying to get over inflated footballs put into play. Should he be suspended too?

That's not what I said. I know you're nothing but an internet homer, but try to keep it in perspective.

"I know you're nothing but an internet homer"

I have no idea what that means, and I dont know you from Adam so I'm not sure what you think you know about me, but keep on truckin!

I think the punishment was appropriate, but after what they did to Sean Payton a few years ago, I'm surprised Belicheat got off without a scratch

ADVERTISEMENT