ADVERTISEMENT

New USA Today article on the "need" for a 12-team playoff

fedman

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2002

Excerpts from article:

When the CFP publicly acknowledged in June that a subcommittee of commissioners had been working on a 12-team proposal, it seemed like a done deal. Maybe there were some issues to work out on the margins, but the bones of the plan were popular. On the surface, there was real benefit for everyone.

This year, the bracket would look something like this: (5) Georgia vs. (12) Pittsburgh; (6) Notre Dame vs. (11) Utah; (7) Ohio State vs. (10) Michigan State; (8) Ole Miss vs. (9) Oklahoma State with the winners advancing to face Alabama, Michigan, Cincinnati and Baylor, who would get first-round byes as the highest-ranked conference champions.

Who wouldn’t take that outcome? It should have sailed through the approval process......If the commissioners can't come to unanimous agreement on that and other peripheral issues, the playoff won’t expand until 2026. After that, unanimity isn't required — they can write a new contract with the majority deciding.

I have a feeling that expanded playoffs are not coming until 2026. As the article states, if they wait until then, a single conference can not veto an agreement - it becomes majority rules. Also, I have read/heard from other media sources that all the bowl contracts and the ESPN contract are up in 2025. The playoffs could then start negotiating with multiple television outlets and could dictate take it or leave it terms with the bowls if they wait to expand until 2026.

As an aside, here is the breakdown of the 12-slot participants in the current NY6 bowls:

SEC: Alabama - Georgia - Mississippi
Big10: Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State
Big12: Baylor, Oklahoma State
ACC: Pitt
Pac12: Utah
G5: Cincinnati
Ind: Notre Dame

It would seem to me that the SEC and Big10 should be in no hurry to change the current 4-team format. Both conferences are doing pretty well under the current system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News