ADVERTISEMENT

---NEW FORMAT---

NDsince35

I've posted how many times?
Jul 25, 2010
Mr PERSE---I know you didn't do it-----your too smart.

This lovely site went from simple and easy ---just perfect for us old farts and football fans

in general, to a computer soft I tried to an---wear designers idea of being up to date--

and so I leave our old buddy Irish Illustrated with fond memories and heavy heart.

I may pop up somewhere else which is easier to use and not as pretty. ADIOS.

Reactions: irishdave2000
Don't know if you will see this. Hope so. However one of the members on another board came up with an extension to use with this site. It takes some of the empty 'white space' out of the boards. It doesn't so much as make it look like it did. But it does add to the amount of threads you see per page. And might look a bit more recognizable to you then it currently does.

A link to the thread about it is
HERE

I know you aren't much of a computer guy. But if you would like I would be happy to show you how to install it. All you really need it Google Chrome. And I could put you in touch with the guy that developed it also. I am sure he would be happy to help.

give us some time to come up with a solution; check back again in a few days:

every problem has a solution.

we luv ya guy!

Reactions: MTIrish98

This lovely site went from simple and easy ---just perfect for us old farts and football fans

in general, to a computer soft I tried to an---wear designers idea of being up to date--

and so I leave our old buddy Irish Illustrated with fond memories and heavy heart.

this is a horrible format hard to read just the worst have you seen the new ESPN web site? Another disaster. Laughable how people ignore "if it works, don't fix it"

The new format does not agree with my phone. I used to be able to browse the message boards while on my phone, and now I am completely unable to

The new format does not agree with my phone. I used to be able to browse the message boards while on my phone, and now I am completely unable to

The webpage itself won't load at all? Or just that you don't see the full version of the webpage on your phone?

I have had people report both.

Don't like to read you have problems with using the site, it isn't perfect, but try to stick it out. I'm illiterate when it comes to computers but there are guys here that are computers-wise and are willing and may be able to help you.
Give them a chance.

I've bounced around on quite a few sites but this one is one of the best if not the best regardless of some of it's problems and I'm not one for passing out flowers.

Whatever you do, the best of luck, pardner.

Last edited:

I may pop up somewhere else which is easier to use and not as pretty. ADIOS.[/QUOTE

<iframe width="854" height="510" src=" " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

35----I hope I just reported your problem to the MOD.....and he/they will try to help!!!

I think 35's problem is the same one I'm having now. The type is so light that it makes it hard for people with eye problems to read it comfortably. I wish they had done with a darker print and not so bright background. In many ways this site is much better now, but the print and background aren't user friendly for us guys with thick glasses.

@Ara64 I had another one of my posters in the sound off board say the same thing. And I promise I have already sent a recommendation in for exactly that. Specifically the names on the left hand side.

I will send another one in with a link to this thread. If I hear anything back I will pass it along.

If you have other (realistic) requests feel free to tell me here or email me. My email is in my signature.

I stated in another thread, that older members like 35 who has vision problems may find this new format difficult. I also don't know what kind of device he uses desktop computer? laptop? iPad? … this format may be more difficult to use on some devices than others.

I notice that lots of web pages … this site, google maps, ESPN, Formula1, to name a few are "upgrading" their web sites to this new format. While I can follow them and make them work, I find them more irritating than their old web pages and really don't like them. Feels like more work to get the same information I used to get.

I contacted support and they said they are working on a good solution. I don't know what exactly it will be. But they are aware of it, and others have reported issues with ease of sight as well.

Let me say this. Yahoo has been terrific in hearing issues, and suggestions through this process. I have never talked to them as much as I have in the last two weeks. For all the people thinking that Yahoo or Rivals simply doesn't care about the average poster or the free posters. You are wrong. They care a great deal and trying to find the best solutions for the poster and the server.

Reactions: Telx1
Try Domer Domain. Site is like our old site

the other big thing that has not been mentioned is -- I have no clue who posted the thread and who responded unless I really look for it This is way too hard to read and not enjoyable. The poster should be easy to find with each post but it is like "where's Waldo?"

Reactions: Bodizephax
^ probably true; And if one carefully checks out the basic screen, the more things change the more they stay the same. The presentation may appear different but if one ignores the bells and whistles options the screen presents the same information as the prior screen. The one thing that might help ease of use is making the "back to top" or "back to topics" more prominent than just at the bottom of a thread. The basic operation of the format has not changed as much as 1st thought; it just looks as if it has changed. Look and the same items are there as before - even if was was accross is now up n down or vice versa. A few tweeks and we might all be far more familiar.

This new format sucks! What was wrong with the old one?

The old one actually had numerous problems. Both on the front and back side.

For beginners you could only have a couple of pages worth of archive. On here I believe the ceiling for that was 5 pages. On the national boards it was 3 to 4 pages. Once a thread got older then that, the system just erased it. Also there wasn't a way for you to go to Google, and search any thread topic on here and get a search hit. Because all of the threads were indexed by a number. Not by a thread title. Which kept extra traffic from here. The different domain pages between teams, and national boards didn't really connect to one another. And the entire system wasn't all that stable. In the last couple of years I can't remember how many times this board or the national board was down. And last year on LoI day, the board was down almost all morning, due to a system failure. One of the biggest days of the year for Rivals, and no one could get on the board. Huge loss of Ad revenue.

Did it affect ND page as much? Maybe not, because there wasn't as much traffic on this particular page. But the system as a whole was tanking, and it was time to move forward. Personally I am a fan of the new system. There are things I don't really like. But there were things I didn't like about the last system as well.

Biggest pluses to me:
Easier to index a thread, easy user set up if you want signatures, avatar pictures, much easier to embed video, youtube, pictures, etc., basically unlimited thread recall. On the national board we keep a politics and religion thread going, and every time it got to about 12 pages, we had to reset the thread. That isn't a problem any longer., From a moderation viewpoint it is much, much easier to moderate. We have a vastly improved set of tools for watching, and controlling unwanted content. And instead of just banning a poster, if we want we can just remove the poster from the thread and allow the thread to carry on.

I'll try. I keep watching to see if I find someone who resembles 35 on other boards. Hope he stays here though.
Come on 35, you can survive this. Anyone who's gotten through two world wars, great depression, oil embargos, the 60's, Willingham coaching, can get through this. Did you give up when Germans bombed Pearl? Japanese took Alamo?

Reactions: nemeth#5
things to tweek: make the reply box more prominant - the screen is very monotone and difficult to discern exactly where you are; any vision issue would present even more problems.

Need a better top of thread and back to topics presentation. the slide bar that appears only on curser is too vague and having only the bottom post with the return (back to) options is insufficient.

My suggestions.

35 - We have some unfinished business regarding DE King -- We must not foreske the program because of a techie glitche -- strap it on and get back to work .

Board sux but its abot DE King !!

Patton faced obstacles in his career -- back to work

Need a better top of thread and back to topics presentation. the slide bar that appears only on curser is too vague and having only the bottom post with the return (back to) options is insufficient.

up in the upper left hand corner of your browser, there is a big left facing arrow. You can click at any time, from anywhere to go back. Just saying :)

oh...you mean the back arrow? come on, that's no way to fix a problem; even if it is effective.

I hate this new format ! Once the Technies get involved , they take a great working simple thing and create a monster of confusion.

Reactions: gold ray
To IB :
one way to not be so complex is to follow the design used in Microsoft Office with ribbons.
Instead of a single banner that is trying to do everything, that is trying to take you everywhere, instead use Ribbons design that depending on the desired activity or task would be more familiar and easier to manipulate.

The crazy trend is to create complex drop down and slide across matrix's that are trying to accomplish "take you anywhere from anywhere" result is too often that usually you get you lost in a cyber web or worse "hang" your system.

Last edited:
Not trying to side step what you typed. But I don't create anything on the web. :). I'm just a lowly little railroader.

In my spare time I volunteer to moderate the national sound off board and since I love ND and love talking ND I still come here to talk with y'all.

^ IB

I know you are not on the design team, but if they reach out to you for feedback, I am just offering my feedback.

(1 man focus group; lol!)

Reactions: IrishBlooded

It was outdated and unstable. The message board code contributed to the NSD crash the previous year. So the upgrade also brought rivals from using 90s board software to what is.used.primarily Internet wide now.
This new format still sucks!

Reactions: IRISHJD98
What I don't understand is, WHY COULDN'T THE DESIGNERS USE THE NEW SOFTWARE TO DEVELOP A MORE SECURE AND STABLE PACKAGE THAT LOOKS AND BEHAVES LIKE THE BOARD IN IT'S OLD FORMAT?

ADVERTISEMENT