ADVERTISEMENT

ND / Navy square off in San Diego in 2018

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
After playing in Jacksonville in 2016

LINK

Notre Dame will travel to Jacksonville, Fla., for a neutral site game against Navy in 2016, and now the two teams are poised to travel 3,000 miles west for a meeting two years later.

Only two weeks after the location of the 2016 matchup was made official, news about the location of the 2018 game between the two programs confirmed the validity of a mid-April Associated Press report. The Irish will take on Navy at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego in 2016, the San Diego Bowl Game Association announced Wednesday.

The San Diego Bowl Game Association had inquired about hosting the 2016 game, according to the AP report, but on July 8 the Jacksonville Sports Council announced Notre Dame and Navy will play at EverBank Field on Nov. 5, 2016. Notre Dame, which defeated Navy, 49-39, in 2014, leads the series, 75-12-1. Navy takes on Notre Dame on Oct. 10 for the 89th meeting between the programs.

Notre Dame hosts the Midshipmen at Notre Dame stadium every other year. Navy, meanwhile, hosts Notre Dame in varying locations around the country – and on occasion, across the Atlantic. Recent game sites include Landover, Md., and Dublin, Ireland. Every game away from Notre Dame Stadium in the series between 2001 and 2011 took place in Baltimore, Md., or East Rutherford, N.J.

Reactions: ForeverNole22
What happens if the Chargers leave for LA after this season and the city of San Diego decides to tear down Qualcomm stadium?

They'd leave it up for this game and make an even bigger deal of it. Would only be vacant for a few months, same as any other football offseason. And doesn't SDSU use it?

The city of San Diego and its residents are rather frustrated with Qualcomm stadium. The chargers have a weak fan base and it costs the city money to just have the stadium and they don't make any profit off of SDSU games there. With that said, if the chargers leave, and the stadium is destroyed, SDSU could be forced to shut down the football program. It's going to be tough for them to find the money or a location to set up a brand new college football stadium, as they don't have much of a fan base either. It's up in the air as to whether or not that would happen, but it is a concern.

From what I understand, San Diegoans want a new stadium for the Chargers and an MLS team that can share the stadium with the Chargers.

Play it in the Coliseum in LA.
The Coliseum is the worst. I'd rather see them square off at Petco or maybe the Home Depot center (capacity is not there). I hate the Coliseum, anywhere but there. They're already forced to play in that dump every other year.

I think I have the problem solved for SDST. I went ahead and had my staff conduct a little research and found a perfect stadium in Tijuana Mexico. It's the Estadio Caliente multi use complex and it has a seating capacity of a little over 33k. Perfect. The SDST people need to contact my people and we can negotiate a Finders fee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT