ADVERTISEMENT

More likely Zaire for over 2700 yards passing or a RB for over 1000 yards rushing?

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
Which one do you think will happen (if either) this year.

Not all purpose yards for Zaire, just passing for 2700 or more.

Golson last year was 256 completions on 427 attempts for 3445 yards, 29 TD, and 14 turnovers

Folston last year was 175 rushes for 889 yards (longest was a TD at 26 yards) for 6 TD's

Zaire for 2700+ pass yards and Folston for 1000+ rushing yards will both happen if they stay healthy. Zaire won't throw the ball as often as Everett did last year, but he'll hit more deep shots to Fuller, Brown and Robinson off of play action. He'll finish multiple games with 300+ yards passing on less than 20 completions. ND's running attack is going to force teams into cover 1 or some cut coverages that will allow the ND receivers to get open. Screens and deep shots will be Zaire's strength in year 1, as he looks to get more consistent with his intermediate passing.

As for Folston, he's going to get a heavy dose carries this year. The combination of Bryant being out for the first 4 games and the fact that ND plays some teams that they must run the ball on (Texas, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Navy, USC) to control the clock a little bit, screams BIG year for Folston if his health holds up.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I agree that Folston will have the bulk of the carries. And I agree with Zaire you will have more play action.

However it is a Brian Kelly offense. Even with Sanford there. There are just way to many targets for him to throw to this year. Kelly has never had the receiver package he has this year. However Zaire I think is an inferior passer to Golson. (I might eat my words on that by the end of the year. And will if so) But I think Golson was better on the deep ball in a scramble than we have seen from Zaire. Malik is more likely to tuck the ball and head north, south than scramble the pocket and throw for 40+ yards.

And I think with Bryant out the first few games, and with Zaire finding his own personality on the field, and the lack of experience behind him. That will hinder some of the running game early on.

Good to see you IIO. Hope you stick around. Would love to see some of your posts more often.

D-e-c-a-f

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Golson last year was 256 completions on 427 attempts for 3445 yards, 29 TD, and 14 turnovers

Folston last year was 175 rushes for 889 yards (longest was a TD at 26 yards) for 6 TD's
Folston +1000 all day.

There is no doubt that Brian Kelly is going to have to throw the ball this year, especially because he's going to be playing from behind at times. I have absolutely no doubt about that given the strength of the schedule this year. It will be in those instances when Zaire's passing yards are racked up, however, this team will run the ball quite often. ND will attack Texas' young defensive front with the running game, while Zaire settles in and gets comfortable. ND will have to run the ball on the road in Death Valley, where Zaire won't even be able to hear or think straight. When playing Navy and Georgia Tech it will be important to keep their offenses on the sideline and ND can do that by managing the clock a little bit and running the ball. There are simply too many games in which balance will be important in 2015 for a healthy Folston not to crack 1000 yards. Kelly also indicated that this offense will will move quickly, which tells me they are going to line up and run the ball. Zaire lacks the experience and generalship at this point to check in and out of pass plays at will should ND be considering running an up tempo spread passing attack as its primary weapon. Look for them to run the ball.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
IIO, you beat me to the punch with last evening comment.
I think that both are likely to happen. And, both likely need to happen for ND to win 10 or more games. I can see Folston getting less than 1000, but it means ND will need more production from Prosise and Bryant (when he returns).

Given the Bryant situation, I think it's a good bet that Folston goes over 1,000 yds this season. I like Malik to average 200 to 225 yds per game passing.

Yeah, I think both happen as well. I feel more confident in Folston rushing for 1,000 but still think both will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT