ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan PR trying to clean up their mess

This has major implications if the allegations prove positive. The Navy information he stole may lead to breaking privacy laws leading to federal consequences.

Would ND fire a low level assistant just for writing a 500 page manifesto?

I'll answer: no, you wouldn't.
You mentioned he was crazy. I asked why they retained him. You then deflect. It wasn’t just the 500 page paper.

You are trying too hard to toe the party line (you do that in politics as well) about it being a one man nut job case. Sorry but the purchase of seats on both sidelines at so many games and some video evidence that proves he was interacting with the coordinators is quite curious. I’ll ask again…who benefits from such info? Hmmmm

And the description of a low level administrative assistant doesn’t jive with his front row seat on the sidelines. Lol with that excuse by the school

Schools and sports programs should have financial accountability. Mich will have to take a few more body blows with this one. Especially while there is an open investigation.

After the Washington Post article.. no amount of clean up will get rid of the stink..
They are doomed and I couldn't be happier..

Reactions: Tru2Irish
I don’t like UM whatsoever but this is a ridiculous “sCaNdaL”.

I’ve listened to and read articles all week discussing the issue with numerous head coaches. I’d say over 90% think this is pretty standard practice and a non story.

If you think UM is beating the Hell out all these teams because of sign stealing, you’re delusional.

In fact reporters have spoken to Coach Day, Franklin, and even Sonny Dykes and everyone of them laughed it off. Day and Dykes both said they know sign stealing is common and they changed their signs the week before the games with UM.

Again, I root against UM near weekly minus OSU and this is simply rubbish.

I’ve listened to and read articles all week discussing the issue with numerous head coaches. I’d say over 90% think this is pretty standard practice and a non story.

If you think UM is beating the Hell out all these teams because of sign stealing, you’re delusional.

In fact reporters have spoken to Coach Day, Franklin, and even Sonny Dykes and everyone of them laughed it off. Day and Dykes both said they know sign stealing is common and they changed their signs the week before the games with UM.

Seems you are not appreciating the varying matters of degree here. To suggest that it's standard to steal signals in this way is like suggesting to the officer who pulled you over that every one speeds. Sure, maybe 3, 4, 5 MPH over the speed limit. But this is like going 30 over in a 35. You sure as Hell can expect to be ticketed.

Based on allegations, they partook in an elaborate and ambitious sign stealing scheme that blatantly broke two rules by my count:

1) Prohibitions against advanced in-person scouting
2) Using electronic devices in order to video or audio record the signals of the opponents

How about the integrity of the game ? Does that matter a little bit to you ?

Rules during Covid were no recruits brought to campus. Michigan brings recruits to campus.

Rules specifically bar sign stealing via tape or from sidelines. Michigan steals signs via tape and sideline.

Do you detect at least a little of " the rules don't apply to us mentality there " ? Just a tad ?

If the Big Ten Commish doesn't slam these guys hard by Monday why is he even there ?

Reactions: Tru2Irish
They would if a trail of his phone texts provided conclusive evidence he communicated with his superiors regarding behavior violating explicit NCAA rules
Ivan your two posts on this are sad and I feel for you. First, he was just an isolated crazy.....Second, ND would have acted the same. But he was not isolated, and the manifesto is just a Michigan made distraction. They paid a guy to cheat. Others steal signs but you can't have a paid guy go to stadiums and film--especially in such an organized manner. Michigan is in deep shit and if they knew people were attending the games (which reimbursements will show they did) are going to suffer immensely. Your next stage of grief will be he acted alone and fooled the whole program. You might as well just skip ahead to grief and acceptance because that's what's coming.

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69
Obviously....the cheating breaks the rules. But there is another layer to this that I think rests on Harbaugh's shoulders in particular. The lying about it. It reminds me of Jim Tressel and his demise. Lying is not going to be forgiven. So, in the course of these "investigations'....Harbaugh will be caught denying what the evidence shows he knew about.
Not that cheating isn't serious....but I don't think it is quite as "terminal" as lying to investigators ..to the university, to the B1G and the NCAA. Harbaugh either owns up...and the violations will be diluted by "everybody does it"...and it isn't terminal; or he continues to lie until he is dismissed. Lying is > than cheating where perception goes.

Reactions: SubwaydomerDFW

Those are the teams that reported it lol

Would ND fire a low level assistant just for writing a 500 page manifesto?

I'll answer: no, you wouldn't.

I guess it would depend on what it said. Usually, you don’t need someone’s manifesto to come to the conclusion that they’re not right in the head.

Did they about this “manifesto” prior to all of this?

It’s obvious what happened to anyone being objective. The Michigan coaches absolutely knew what this guy was up to based on what I’ve seen.

They paid his tickets to games. He was on sidelines at UM with DC and OC and his paperwork in hand. UM knew everything going on including Harbaugh. They simply thumb their noses at rules and continually lie about it. It's as bad as MSU Izzo protecting rapists on his ball teams over the years.

• Haha
Reactions: ivan brunetti

think you are missing the boat here. It is a more premeditated and organized then trying to steal signs during games or from shared tapes

Ivan your two posts on this are sad and I feel for you. First, he was just an isolated crazy.....Second, ND would have acted the same. But he was not isolated, and the manifesto is just a Michigan made distraction. They paid a guy to cheat. Others steal signs but you can't have a paid guy go to stadiums and film--especially in such an organized manner. Michigan is in deep shit and if they knew people were attending the games (which reimbursements will show they did) are going to suffer immensely. Your next stage of grief will be he acted alone and fooled the whole program. You might as well just skip ahead to grief and acceptance because that's what's coming.

I know what is coming. A punishment that rivals will feel is a slap on the wrist, that comes sometime after this football season. See Tennessee as a recent example.

And ND likely pays someone, or has a grad volunteer, whose job it is to decode other teams' signals. That is not paying someone "to cheat".

You can get yourself all giddy that the ban hammer is coming down, but I think you will be sorely disappointed.

Ivan, what are your thoughts on traveling to scout in person and using video/audio to record other teams signals? You keep avoiding those landmines.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Notre Dame Nation:

I am sure that I am not expressing anything that you all are not aware, but this has been going on for some time. The focus is on Michigan and believe me when I say I am a Michigan hater, but there will be other schools that will become a part of this as the investigation continues. I believe that as it relates to Michigan and this sign stealing scandal is not about that, it is about Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan administration. Things are not as they might seem on the surface.

With that said and as they interview and obtain more information, it's like when that bright light is focused on you, the bird begins to sing and others with that glass house will begin to crumble because they are just as guilty. After this dies down, especially with the amount of money involved in college athletics, these schools will find another way to Cheat or get around the so-called policies. Money Talks and -------- --------!

Go Irish!!!!!

Ivan, what are your thoughts on traveling to scout in person and using video/audio to record other teams signals? You keep avoiding those landmines.

If Stalions attended those games in person, that is against the rules. Michigan would get hit for that, but it would not be anything major. Buying tickets for someone else is not against the rules. Someone else recording video from the stands is not against the rules.

And it looks like Ryan Day has a role in all of this. Stay tuned...

I guess it would depend on what it said. Usually, you don’t need someone’s manifesto to come to the conclusion that they’re not right in the head.

Did they about this “manifesto” prior to all of this?

It’s obvious what happened to anyone being objective. The Michigan coaches absolutely knew what this guy was up to based on what I’ve seen.
I am still up in the air about the girl who shot up a Christian school down south. They need to publish that 'manifesto' so we can read every word.

If Stalions attended those games in person, that is against the rules. Michigan would get hit for that, but it would not be anything major. Buying tickets for someone else is not against the rules. Someone else recording video from the stands is not against the rules.

And it looks like Ryan Day has a role in all of this. Stay tuned...
Michigan should and will get hit very hard for this. I see now that stalion paid a d3 coach to film other teams sidelines as well

When the film taken at those games is then used to figure out the opposing teams signals, it is a violation. I admire your dedication to UM, though. If this were the Irish I would have a tough time defending it and I've been a fan since elementary school.

Seems so easy to solve. Let CFB have connects helmets like the NFL. Problem solved and we don’t have to watch all the crap on the sidelines to get plays in.

Herbstreit - I’m just tired of this story - can we just talk about football?

Des Howard - this team is laser focused now

ESPN are such B1G schills. Could you imagine if this was an ND scandal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT