ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Hegarty going to Oregon

So two people unhappy for not being guaranteed starting positions on our team end up on teams that made the final four last year! Wow! What does that say about the strength of Kelly's current lineup??!!! I can't tell if I'm being ironic.

Will link shortly. Just saw it come across.

Best of luck to him in Duckzilla land.

I just don't see how someone can go to a school for 4 years, graduate, and then go play somewhere else for a year? I guess if playing time is an issue and you have nfl dreams but even then, stick it out at your alma mater.

I just don't see how someone can go to a school for 4 years, graduate, and then go play somewhere else for a year? I guess if playing time is an issue and you have nfl dreams but even then, stick it out at your alma mater.

The transfer rule has only been around for about a decade. And only really hit ND a few times.

Yes the kids are student athletes first, and the education should be their most important goal. But many of these kids intend to play at the next level. And to do that, they want a chance to play at the most complete programs, that offer them the best training and prep for the next level. Why wouldn't you leave to go to schools that made the playoff last year? Obviously they did something right.

makes perfect sense to me. gotta do what's in his best interests for his future.

makes perfect sense to me. gotta do what's in his best interests for his future.

I get it. I just see college football differently than the NFL. There's something to be said for school spirit, especially at a place like Notre Dame.

Oh well, good luck to him.

The rule definitely hurt us this year, losing 2 former starters while getting one guy who may or may not start in the secondary.

I think both Golson and Hegarty were unique situations, former starters who faced the prospect of having to battle for their jobs in their 5th years, while also having NFL dreams. Impressing NFL scouts is a lot harder to do if you're not playing. Hopefully that type of scenario won't happen to us too often again in the future.

Reactions: echowaker
Both EG and Hegarty accomplished their first goal when the graduated. Both saw opportunities which they felt would enhance their futures. I can understand going to Oregon and I also understand EG going to FSU where he will start. Both won!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT