ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Williams Transferring Out

SALittleGiant513

I've posted how many times?
Nov 24, 2012
No word on destination.

My bad, auto correct turned Jhonny to Johnny... Not sure if they let you edit thread titles on this format.

/sigh.

A position ND is so absolutely thin at already.

Will not be surprised if the D line costs a win or two through the season.

Hard to tell how big a loss it is right now as he's played no snaps and will likely have to sit another year at this point.

We have to get a play now type de in this class though. We lost our only pass rusher in the 15 class in Wallace, he was our pass rusher in the 14 class, and okwara graduates this year. Seems like it'd be an easy sell with playing time available, but for some reason we struggle to get these types.

He wasn't going to see the field------struck me as more athlete than football player and if this is where he is in Year 2 I can certainly understand his wanting to find another school.

I wish him the best and thank him for his efforts.

Reactions: Bodizephax
so, if he stayed he would have been great response, but if he leaves he's a bum? As things stand, ND needed him!

And Sal the day is early, what more do you have?

Perse he wasn't cracking the 3 deep this year at DE. ND needed him next year which makes the move a bit perplexing since he now has to sit out a year anyways.

since he never played last it is then hard for any of us to say that he'll be a loss as none of us know what he would've brought to the table def wise. it may hurt depth wise but beyond that nobody knows talent or playmaking wise

I think he needed to add weight. And he struggled a bit in spring.

I wish the kid nothing but the best. Find a fit, and go with it.

Perse he wasn't cracking the 3 deep this year at DE. ND needed him next year which makes the move a bit perplexing since he now has to sit out a year anyways.

he had good personal reason; nuff for me, cause this kis is no EV character wise.

But ND needs DE's.

Sure Bodi, keep holding me to an opinion that was qualified at the time with "As things stand today" when there have been at least 5 scholarships freed up that were not expected. 6 scholarships if you believed Williams was going to go or that ND was going to get to 26.

Here's a quote from after the Blue-Gold game

“Transitioning to Notre Dame has been difficult for him. He was underweight and playing at the defensive end position. He's worked so hard on putting on weight and making that transition, and carrying all that weight has been hard for him. He's got to work really hard in school and all those things, so it was nice to see him have some success today."

With the loss of Williams, the Irish appear to have 87 scholarship players on the roster. That number includes defensive end Ishaq Williams, who is enrolled in school but remains in NCAA limbo, fifth-year student Chase Hounshell, a former defensive lineman who switched to tight end in the spring in an effort to remain on the roster, and VanGorder, a former walk-on player.

Sal, you probably saw it but,

TOS rumor, an un-named incoming player, has some issue and might not count - but that's just mssge board stuff.

YEP. Happens every year.......this is 1st year ND is still at 85!!!!!!!!!!! Beat texas!!!

Yes, that's probably why Kelly went ahead and slightly over-recruited this year. He was tired of being down to 80 scholarship players every year by the time the season started. There's always several transfers/academic casualties. Happens every year.

I hope your guess is wrong bodi about us possibly losing 5 to 10 players. losing 10 would just be crazy

Notre Dame is probably not done with transfers, academics and all that. We will probably lose about 5 to 10 more.

We knew we needed to get down to 85. It seems that the coaches may have known this would happen. It would help explain why they've been secretive about who is definitely on the 5th year list.

I think Jhonny's transfer leaves 86 with Ishaq included. So either Ishaq or Houshell not playing would get us to 85. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... ;)

^ bear in mind that the staff was aware of each of the recent 'losses' more in advance than the 'go public' date.
My feeling is that ND is at 85 - or how to get to 85 - is already a done decision/deal.

^ bear in mind that the staff was aware of each of the recent 'losses' more in advance than the 'go public' date.
My feeling is that ND is at 85 - or how to get to 85 - is already a done decision/deal.

I suspect the decision is if Ishaq is declared eligible, he's in. If not, Hounshell gets to stay.

the rumor in question is the that the incoming player will be at ND but not be eligible; however the rumor is a few days old and seems to have quieted. But surely the staff has this whole thing covered.

Outside of 4-5 guys I don't believe whether or not a guy coming in is eligible to play is going to make that much of a practical difference in the teams this year. I don't see as many true freshmen playing as last year for ND.

ADVERTISEMENT