ADVERTISEMENT

IS a #1 QB so necessary?

gold ray

Posts Like A Champion
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2005
IN Professional ranks that's pretty much a given as some
signal callers can have as much as +10 to 15yr experiences.
NCAA is quite different with normal 4-yr elegibility and occasionally
five. With so much maturation involved and being different for
18 to 21 yr. olds.......just how important is a No. 1 QB especially
when a team has more....e.g. ND, OSU and some others.

I think this is a case by case basis, as it depends on many factors. You have to consider how the two QBs are different and similar to each other. How much will the play calling change when you switch the guys? How will the guys in the huddle respond to the switch? How much will practice time be spent on a specific playbook for a specific QB, if at all?

With that said, I don't think Golson and Zaire are too different from each other, that you have to dramatically change the offense and spend too much practice time tailoring a playbook to both QBs. Obviously, the popular opinion is that Golson is a better passer and Zaire is a better runner. However, both QBs are capable of running the same playbook in my opinion. With that said, if Kelly believes and wants to run a 2 QB system, similar to how he did against LSU(Zaire doing mostly running plays and Golson doing mostly passing plays), then I'm all for it. I don't think it would cause dysfunction internally on the team and I think this system could cause defense nightmares, as there a lot of ways to offset the defense with these two guys. I think the guys in the huddle would follow both Golson and Zaire leading them. Golson really hasn't been identified as a clear cut leader such as Brady Quinn, so I don't think the switch would cause internal confusion or favoritism. Zaire is an up and coming star and getting him a wealth of playing time now would benefit ND now and in the future, in my opinion. I will admit however, I'm on the MZ bandwagon and want MZ to have the offense to himself, but there's a reason why I'm not the head coach at ND.

GO IRISH!

I'm obviously in favor of whoever would win more games but since nobody knows who that would be I would say I'm still in favor of Golson starting.

I think that turnovers typically go down the third year of starting at QB. So I would imagine Golson would do much better at that. I also can't forget that he started out 19-1 or something like that.

The biggest thing that concerns me about Zaire is that BK mentioned that he use to fall asleep during meetings when he knew he wouldn't be playing. That bothers me a lot.

I like both guys. And I like the idea of giving Ev his chance this year (and letting Malik take over next) and having Malik come in when appropriate (I'll leave that up to Kelly and Dem and Stan).

That said, what I have noticed about Malik is what a gregarious and passionate kid and what a great leader he is! (Ev is more quiet but remember, Montana was quiet, as was Tony Rice.) Take a look at the highlights from the B&G game. At the very end, Malik mobs Van Gorderer with high fives and bumps and hugs. He has this sincere expression --- he is a guy you are just drawn to. (Now Ev might have done this earlier and it wasn't picked up, but you can see EG in the background and the difference at that moment is stark.)

This doesn't change my hopes for next season. We need both guys. I am for giving Ev his chance, because he has experience, he has all the tools AND the OL will be much much better than last year as will the WRs. I think we will see a different EG this year.

But I love the future with Malik. Hard not to root for that kid.

Nice problem to have if you can keep both kids happy.

Malik moment 2:05ish

ADVERTISEMENT