ADVERTISEMENT

If you were Golson wouldn't you............

Duo

ND Expert
Jul 23, 2006
be looking for a guarantee to be the starting QB? And I'm guessing the traditional power houses aren't going to give him that luxury. That would include:
  • FSU
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • South Carolina
  • LSU
  • Texas
  • UCLA
  • Even Florida
If one of these schools guarantees a transfer QB a starting position that could potentially jeopardize future recruiting.

Of course. Why else would he leave ND? He knows the offense...I think if healthy and not overly turnover prone he likely wins the job and holds it....but just like Kelly could yank him half way through a game so will any of those other coaches if they think they have someone else who will either give them a better chance to win now or at least get some development time in if it turns into a lost season. I think Golson is going to have to go to a lesser school....try and put up gaudy stats and hope when he goes to the combine he is actually 6' tall.

Otherwise he should call the B.C. Lions and talk to Khari Jones.

be looking for a guarantee to be the starting QB? And I'm guessing the traditional power houses aren't going to give him that luxury. That would include:
  • FSU
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • South Carolina
  • LSU
  • Texas
  • UCLA
  • Even Florida
If one of these schools guarantees a transfer QB a starting position that could potentially jeopardize future recruiting.
I don't know how any school top flight program would do that without so much as a practice with the team. I can't imagine that Golson would be making that "demand". It seems way too over the top.... Stranger things have happened though.

My guess is it's Golson's conundrum: Go to a big time power house with no guarantee or go to a lesser school with some sort of guarantee???

At least in the power house schools even some of the 2nd string QB's make it to the Pro's. At FSU Brad Johnson backed up Casey Weldon and Casey was a close 2nd in the Heisman. They both were drafted and Brad went on to win a Super Bowl at Tampa Bay.

It's going to be interesting to see where Golson ends up and how well he succeeds.

My guess is it's Golson's conundrum: Go to a big time power house with no guarantee or go to a lesser school with some sort of guarantee???

At least in the power house schools even some of the 2nd string QB's make it to the Pro's. At FSU Brad Johnson backed up Casey Weldon and Casey was a close 2nd in the Heisman. They both were drafted and Brad went on to win a Super Bowl at Tampa Bay.

It's going to be interesting to see where Golson ends up and how well he succeeds.
I saw a post on quarterbacks that played for/were coached by Fisher. It was pretty impressive. I'd like to see EG in the ACC. FSU would be a good challenge for him and if he shines the skies the limit for him.
Factoid: FSU has 4 common opponents with us next year BC, WF, Clemson, and GA Tech.

I wonder if there's any chance that after looking around and not finding any guaranteed starting jobs at any powerhouse programs, that Golson decides to just return to ND?

I wonder if there's any chance that after looking around and not finding any guaranteed starting jobs at any powerhouse programs, that Golson decides to just return to ND?

That's been floated as an idea. I don't see why not..... I seem to recall our HC who had one foot out the door making this statement,

"Like every kid who has ever put on a pair of football cleats, I have had thoughts about being a part of the NFL. However, after much reflection and conversation with those closest to me, I have decided to remain at Notre Dame."

Who knows.......maybe he could end up like FSU's Christian Ponder..........in 5 years got his bachelors in business and an MBA, drafted in the 1st round of the NFL, counted his millions, married a drop dead gorgeous ESPN reporter and is still making big money as an NFL back up.

Oh yeah, and named his new born son..............Bowden in honor of Coach Bobby Bowden at Florida State.

I'm sure Golson would be thrilled to achieve any portion of those accomplishments. ;)

I'm glad that he's not shying away from competition. He's going to be competing for a starting job the rest of his FB career -- whether it is NFL, CFL, or Arena FL. He might as well challenge himself this year too.

Best of luck to him! I hope we get to beat them in the playoffs.

Now let's see how he does under fierce pressure and fierce competition. Good luck as this will be the supreme test.

Now let's see how he does under fierce pressure and fierce competition. Good luck as this will be the supreme test.

& ND shill Keith Arnold's remarks about competition ring as hollow as ever...

"Simply put, Golson looked into the future and didn’t like what he saw. While dodging competition certainly doesn’t seem like the best way to make it to the NFL, the decision has been made and the Irish are moving forward with Zaire."

& ND shill Keith Arnold's remarks about competition ring as hollow as ever...

"Simply put, Golson looked into the future and didn’t like what he saw. While dodging competition certainly doesn’t seem like the best way to make it to the NFL, the decision has been made and the Irish are moving forward with Zaire."

So you think Maguire's better competition for Golson than Zaire? I disagree. Supposedly Maguire had been rather unimpressive in spring practice, which prompted Fisher to recruit Golson.

Ponder does not have a Notre Dame degree and I would think he is smart enough to realize that EG has that ahead of him.

Golson will be the FSU starter, you can be certain he was guaranteed, not that he wouldn't have earned in anyway looking at Maguire and the young prospects.

EG is better now than Ponder ever was or will be!

Ponder does not have a Notre Dame degree and I would think he is smart enough to realize that EG has that ahead of him.

Golson will be the FSU starter, you can be certain he was guaranteed, not that he wouldn't have earned in anyway looking at Maguire and the young prospects.

better than a guy who has started games at the highest level ? that has yet to be determined.

Ponder failed miserably at the top level and EG has proved himself against better competition than Ponder faced at FSU and what EG will see in 2015.

Ponder failed miserably at the top level and EG has proved himself against better competition than Ponder faced at FSU and what EG will see in 2015.
golson has to make it to the next level and that's far from a guarantee. think he'll be a 1st rd pick like ponder ?

So you think Maguire's better competition for Golson than Zaire? I disagree. Supposedly Maguire had been rather unimpressive in spring practice, which prompted Fisher to recruit Golson.
That's a good point. Zaire is terrific. I was looking more at the school he chose and what they will be trying to accomplish. I think he's right in the thick of National Championship Competition.

PS imo I think he felt he needed to get away from kelly and get a fresh start. That could be wrong, but at the end of the day he believed his NFL/pro aspirations were best served elsewhere. This should be real interesting to watch unfold. He'll be cramming hard.

Ponder graduated with a master's degree. I don't think he's going to be in awe of Golson.

It's the posts like this one why everyone thinks you are a delusional nutjob. At least that's one of the reasons they think that.

Note: You don't have a ND degree either. There's an obvious reason why.

Christian Ponder 6'2,230 (NFL stats) set records playing for the Vikings and then was injured. And now he plays for the Raiders and is still making millions. Will Golson achieve that kind of success? We shall see.

Christian Ponder 6'2,230 (NFL stats) set records playing for the Vikings and then was injured. And now he plays for the Raiders and is still making millions. Will Golson achieve that kind of success? We shall see.
He's also in his 5th NFL season which is rarefied space.

Quote from Argus/Holy Smoke, DubsDreader, Big Fella Fan, Irish Fan26, Epiciticus, etc., etc..:

"-My knowledge of Notre Dame is minimal? I and my family have been hopnored at half time, has yours?"

That's a good point. Zaire is terrific. I was looking more at the school he chose and what they will be trying to accomplish. I think he's right in the thick of National Championship Competition.

PS imo I think he felt he needed to get away from kelly and get a fresh start. That could be wrong, but at the end of the day he believed his NFL/pro aspirations were best served elsewhere. This should be real interesting to watch unfold. He'll be cramming hard.

FSU has an easier schedule than we do, but I think both teams have the talent and experience to be in the NC race this season.

FSU has an easier schedule than we do, but I think both teams have the talent and experience to be in the NC race this season.

If we can stay healthy and get off to a fast start we can build off that momentum. I like our chances a lot if we can knuckle down and play smart football. (I can't wait to see Yoon kicking too.) imo Lyght and Denson are going to add tremendous stability. They don't f around.

I wish I knew more about FSU and our 4 ACC opponents BC, Clemson, Ga Tech and Wake. Some of the fsu guys here that visit do know their sh**. Unfortunately, it seems like we can never get anywhere in football discussions with them because of the ongoing distraction.

cgvr..........

Re: "I wish I knew more about FSU and our 4 ACC opponents BC, Clemson, Ga Tech and Wake."

ND should have no trouble with Wake. There just isn't any talent comparison. ND by 3 TD's.

BC could be tricky. Their hall mark is their Oline. FSU struggled with BC last year and had to come from behind pulling out a squeaker 20-17. BC's modus operandi is to wear you down and slog it out in the 4th quarter.

At Clemson-IMO this will be your toughest game of the year. Clemson is loaded with highly rated talent. Their QB is very mobile..........like Golson but more talented, super quick, super smart. They are a quick strike offense and once they get the lead in their home stadium their fans are as loud and crazy as any fans in CFB. If you could only attend one away game this should be it. Also, Dabo Swiney will make some crazy high risk calls and put the game on the line multiple times. Last year FSU won in OT 23-17 (Winston was suspended for that game for cussing in the student union). Good chance Clemson will be favored in the game. By all rights they should have beaten FSU last year. They had about 3 different opportunities but it just didn't work out.........missed FG's, etc.

Georgia Tech- All you have to do is go to Google and pull up Paul Johnson. He's the old Navy coach that turned losers Hawaii and then Navy into real winners. GT gave FSU all they could handle and then some last year. Johnson's philosophy is "you know exactly what we're gonna do...........now try and stop us". Calls all his own plays from the sidelines and sends them in with different players...............old school football. #1 team in rushing last year..........they are serious. And remember, size differentials don't matter when they are cut blocking and brush blocking. They rely on speed and deception on nearly every play and chew up the yardage. They will be in the game until the final seconds of the 4th quarter...........tough, really tough team. ND will likely be favored but that doesn't matter. GT sort of prefers it that way. FSU pulled it out in a come from behind win last year 37-35.

ND will struggle mightily to pull out wins over both Clemson and GT. Best 'O Luck!

Unless our ACC opponents bring the refs in their pockets like last year, I don't see any problem with them. ND should dispatch them easily.

Go Irish!

Unless our ACC opponents bring the refs in their pockets like last year, I don't see any problem with them. ND should dispatch them easily.

Go Irish!
Well ... it appears argusman is rubbing off on you. He couldn't have said it better. ... word for word.

"Easily"? .... you are in dreamland. ND will likely be the dog to Clemson and very possibly GaTech too. They may win both but be assured it won't be "easily".

Clemson is likely to be the favorite in their division along with FSU as usual, GaTech in theirs. Both games will be a big challenge.

You're entitled to your nole opinion. I don't agree. GT will be a supersized navy that ND will crush. Clemson, sure they can beat fsu, but without the refs, they have no chance against this ND team.

cgvr..........

Re: "I wish I knew more about FSU and our 4 ACC opponents BC, Clemson, Ga Tech and Wake."

ND should have no trouble with Wake. There just isn't any talent comparison. ND by 3 TD's.

BC could be tricky. Their hall mark is their Oline. FSU struggled with BC last year and had to come from behind pulling out a squeaker 20-17. BC's modus operandi is to wear you down and slog it out in the 4th quarter.

At Clemson-IMO this will be your toughest game of the year. Clemson is loaded with highly rated talent. Their QB is very mobile..........like Golson but more talented, super quick, super smart. They are a quick strike offense and once they get the lead in their home stadium their fans are as loud and crazy as any fans in CFB. If you could only attend one away game this should be it. Also, Dabo Swiney will make some crazy high risk calls and put the game on the line multiple times. Last year FSU won in OT 23-17 (Winston was suspended for that game for cussing in the student union). Good chance Clemson will be favored in the game. By all rights they should have beaten FSU last year. They had about 3 different opportunities but it just didn't work out.........missed FG's, etc.

Georgia Tech- All you have to do is go to Google and pull up Paul Johnson. He's the old Navy coach that turned losers Hawaii and then Navy into real winners. GT gave FSU all they could handle and then some last year. Johnson's philosophy is "you know exactly what we're gonna do...........now try and stop us". Calls all his own plays from the sidelines and sends them in with different players...............old school football. #1 team in rushing last year..........they are serious. And remember, size differentials don't matter when they are cut blocking and brush blocking. They rely on speed and deception on nearly every play and chew up the yardage. They will be in the game until the final seconds of the 4th quarter...........tough, really tough team. ND will likely be favored but that doesn't matter. GT sort of prefers it that way. FSU pulled it out in a come from behind win last year 37-35.

ND will struggle mightily to pull out wins over both Clemson and GT. Best 'O Luck!
Thank you.

I believe BC was the first team ever to start five grad students on the O-line last year. Ergo, five new starters this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT