www.gstatic.com
'16 CA QB Ian Book (Notre Dame Verbal)
Pro-style Quarterback
El Dorado Hills, CA (Oak Ridge)
4_3174135.jpg

Measurements

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 175

He is rated as a 3 star by rivals (Washington State wanted him real bad--Mike Leach

Last edited:
Not a bad get. With all of the guys and years left they can play. I don't see him seeing the field much.

Interesting... Shouldn't scare off any elite guys from 2017.

Exactly. Word in the hood is that the Irish look good with 2017 super 5 star QB Hunter Johnson.
Irish Illustrated‏@PeteSampson_ 3h3 hours ago

Interesting connection with new commitment Ian Book. His quarterbacks coach also works with Hunter Johnson in the off-season.

*** As Irish fans we know that we need to recruit a QB every year (because of all the transfers)
Ian Book is a more athletic Tommy Rees who can run the show in a pinch. Insurance.

I was really hoping the staff wouldn't take a qb this year to have some space between Wimbush and a 2017 qb like hunter Johnson but we fans just have to trust the staff on this one. I can also see your point bodi about needing a qb every year because of transfers and other things but I guess I just don't want to see anything like this hurting us in getting johnson

Last edited:

Brandon Wimbush was listed as a pro style QB, the categorizing of recruits is an inexact science.

I'm with Coach Sanford!!! Watching a few highlights he looks bigger than listed......and really like his movement and accuracy when on the move. Seems to have "presence". Is his HS in a good league?

Nothing wrong with taking a QB recruit every year. But is Kelly shifting towards pro-style QBs now? Seems odd given his offense has been more dynamic with mobile QBs.

The kid is not a dual-threat, but then again neither is Hunter Johnson. Supposedly he has been electronically timed at 4.7. I will trust Sanford and Kelly if they liked him enough to extend an offer. And Sanford has been following him for several years, so he must like his progressive improvements.
He is accurate and can make all the short and mid-range throws. He certainly doesn't have a Golson arm, but most don't.
I have read elsewhere that people like him as much or more than some of the Elite 11 guys. Good get, and likely won't scare off Johnson. Tennessee has a highly rated guy coming in this year also.

WTF??? Is Kelly off his meds again? We could not get a better QB than this? Maybe some consistency in how he recruits his QB's would be nice. Now that he has recruited a 3 star Pro-Style QB who has a crappy offer list, does that mean he is going to change his offense again? Another Scholly gone for a guy who will never see the field. Kelly obviously has one foot out the door.

Reactions: end_23
No, but evidently you ran out of yours.
ND got the guy that really fits Kelly's offense last year. And they are looking good for a top 3 guy for 17. Depth and 1 QB every year is important. BTW, Kelly won quite a few games with a guy not nearly as gifted as Book.
Kelly won quite a few games? I assume you are referring to Rees. 8-5 is not winning quite a few games. This signing serves no purpose and makes no sense. We don't want another Rees.

Reactions: end_23
Kelly won quite a few games? I assume you are referring to Rees. 8-5 is not winning quite a few games. This signing serves no purpose and makes no sense. We don't want another Rees.

I think from all I have read this is a step up from Tommy. But, having a solid back-up never hurts a program. Contrary to your opinion, Tommy did all that was asked of him and won his share of games. With Wimbush in the fold and potentially Johnson in 17, Book is a nice addtion. And, Sanford likes the kid alot.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Why pro style when we have recruited a stable of guys who can run.

Hunter Johnson is a pro style QB and we are recruiting the hell out of him. Kelly is smart enough to know that offensive philosophies are constantly changing. He wants to be able to get the best athletes. If we get Book in '16 and Johnson in '17, our offense will be centered on pro style QBs. Book is a complimentary piece to Johnson.

Quick note on book, his Soph season he tossed for 2,500 30 TD's to 5 INTS. His junior year he threw for 2,000 and change with 18 TD's and 7 INTS. The drop in stats could be a red flag but there could be a lot of factors such as a loss of talent at the O-Line or receivers. Or possibly a improved running game since he threw for about as many yards and saw a trop in scoring stats. ND could be getting a real steal.

WTF??? Is Kelly off his meds again? We could not get a better QB than this? Maybe some consistency in how he recruits his QB's would be nice. Now that he has recruited a 3 star Pro-Style QB who has a crappy offer list, does that mean he is going to change his offense again? Another Scholly gone for a guy who will never see the field. Kelly obviously has one foot out the door.
And the other one shoved up his azz.

I think you need to take a QB every year in this environment where kids at that position are prone to transfer.

You weren't getting a highly rated one in this class after getting Wimbush in the previous class.

IMO you have to trust Coach Sanford on this one.

Kid wont play for four yrs --he could be Joe Montana by then or he could be just a back up .

btw Jiff you are catching up to purse and turnover as the biggest douche bag in this forum

Kid wont play for four yrs --he could be Joe Montana by then or he could be just a back up .

btw Jiff you are catching up to purse and turnover as the biggest douche bag in this forum
At least this response is better then your usual "we would have been 12-0 if not for all the injuries" excuse. Except we lost to FSU before the injuries and we lost 5 games total. Go away with your sis-boom-ba rhetoric and head-up-the-ass analysis. You are not a very intelligent person.

I think we are going to need a photo finish to decide amongst the 3.

We always worry about when a kid is going to play, than someone gets kicked out, transfers or gets hurt...than we're short handed. Golson was suppose to win a Heismam, win a NC and ended up getting benched. Who knows what's going to happen over the next four years.

ADVERTISEMENT