ADVERTISEMENT

I hope JC transfers will be allowed for Football in the future.

letsgond

Here Come The Irish
Mar 1, 2007
Would be super beneficial and make a difference. Imagine if ND had got 1/2 DL from a JC for 2007 after losing Abiamiri and Landri. It might have made a difference in close losses to Navy/Air Force and such. Or at any point to help with depth. I just hope that it becomes reality soon.

Not likely to happen. Very few JC players have the academics to succeed at ND.

Does ND have certain class requirements, with a religious focus, that are problematic for nearly all JC transfers?

Not likely to happen. Very few JC players have the academics to succeed at ND.

It's not always about academics. It can be about being mentally ready or whatever. I had a 3.6 GPA in high school, but I opted for community college instead because I felt it was a better path.

It's not always about academics. It can be about being mentally ready or whatever. I had a 3.6 GPA in high school, but I opted for community college instead because I felt it was a better path.

For that reason, I said "very few."

Would be super beneficial and make a difference. Imagine if ND had got 1/2 DL from a JC for 2007 after losing Abiamiri and Landri. It might have made a difference in close losses to Navy/Air Force and such. Or at any point to help with depth. I just hope that it becomes reality soon.
Games against navy/air force should not hinge on jucos....

Does ND have certain class requirements, with a religious focus, that are problematic for nearly all JC transfers?
Why would religious classes at ND be "problematic for nearly all JC transfers?"[

For athletes coming from Jr. College it is almost always an "academic" issue. If they were good enough to go to a D1 school they vast majority would have out of high school. Don't expect ND to change their posture on this any time soon and that remains a good thing.

For athletes coming from Jr. College it is almost always an "academic" issue. If they were good enough to go to a D1 school they vast majority would have out of high school. Don't expect ND to change their posture on this any time soon and that remains a good thing.

I don't appreciate you looking down on JR college. ND should change and it would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Letgond-

I think the biggest hurdle facing Jucos is not whether they can handle the academics of ND as much as will they be able to qualify to get into ND. Not all their Juco classes will be accepted by ND making it hard for them to transfer in as a sophomore or junior. ND isn't going to accept a kid who just fished 2 years of juco but only can come in to school as a second semester freshmen or first semester sophomore.

Letgond-

I think the biggest hurdle facing Jucos is not whether they can handle the academics of ND as much as will they be able to qualify to get into ND. Not all their Juco classes will be accepted by ND making it hard for them to transfer in as a sophomore or junior. ND isn't going to accept a kid who just fished 2 years of juco but only can come in to school as a second semester freshmen or first semester sophomore.

Wouldn't that be where summer classes come in to get them up to speed?

"If they were good enough to go to a D1 school they vast majority would have out of high school." Your discussing academics is not looking very credible.

When Reuland transferred to Stanford all his Saddleback college credits were accepted there. He went to Saddleback to stay current while he sat out a year...

When Reuland transferred to Stanford all his Saddleback college credits were accepted there. He went to Saddleback to stay current while he sat out a year...

I did not know Reuland went to a different school before Stanford.

It some cases maybe but for a player that has burned two years at juco, if he only has enough transferable credits to be a sophomore he would have to get done with 3 years of school in two years. I don't see admissions banking on kid taking an increased load to catch up when they know his FB schedule is going to wear on him already

Just to point out this is the exception not the rule. Not all jucos are viewed the same but a school like ND is only going to take X credits.

I did not know Reuland went to a different school before Stanford.
Yeah, he stayed active. He did his homework and found out what classes would be accepted at Stanford. He's with the Ravens now and hopefully can break out this year.

Just to point out this is the exception not the rule. Not all jucos are viewed the same but a school like ND is only going to take X credits.

I don't know what the "equation" is, but I am guessing some electives rather than core curriculum classes might work more readily. You are correct that not all JUCOS are viewed the same academically. PS I think southern cal is tapping san jacinto? fairly regularly.

You seem to know a lot about being a dickhead. That may stem from seeing one in a the mirror each morning.

Again, no one that I can see made any derogatory post regarding Jr. Colleges, some need to read better.

http://articles.southbendtribune.co..._1_konrad-reuland-stanford-program-notre-dame

"Because the university has a policy that prohibits players from transferring to schools that will appear on future schedules, Reuland was forced to find a back door to Stanford. Reuland did not catch a pass in the 10 games he played at Notre Dame over the 2006 and '07 seasons before deciding to leave. Reuland told the San Francisco Chronicle that Notre Dame “wasn't a terrible situation for me. But I wasn't extremely happy there. It was more than just football (that led to the transfer). It was the day-to-day life.” After leaving Notre Dame, Reuland spent part of the 2007-08 academic year at Saddleback College, where he earned his associates degree. After that, he was free to pursue his college of choice. “It was tough going that route because I knew I wanted to go to Stanford and I had to apply just like anybody else to get in and make sure I took all the right classes they wanted me to take and get straight-As and all that,” Reuland said, “so it was very rewarding when I found out I finally got in.” Reuland finally got in the stats column this season. He could have played last season but he and Cardinal coach Jim Harbaugh decided that it would be better to retain two full years of eligibility (2009 and '10) rather than play part of last season and all of this year."----from the article above.

Smart young man and used the JR College route to get around a possible ND block. He knew Weis would never allow him to transfer to a school on the schedule. There are a host of reasons young men chose to go the the JC route, so you have to go case by case. I'm sure the admissions office would if the coaching staff submitted a candidate for consideration.

Ara, keep your eye on Yale this year. His younger brother Austin OC MVP at mission viejo as voted by coaches is about to go off at rb/slot. He is a senior. His other brother Warren is enrolled at LSU medical school. He was a nightmare at wr for Richard Sherman at Stanford and sadly blew both knees acls..... He had never high jumped and did 6'8 to tie for the best in oc his senior year at MV. "Hey Warren, jump over that bar..." "okay...." I was recently at a function for Stanford and Shaw was there. He has so much respect for the Reuland family... Harbaugh loves them too. Harbaugh put Konrad on the 49ers practice squad and got his NFL career going....

New Quote from Argus/Holy Smoke, DubsDreader, Big Fella Fan, Irish Fan26, Epiciticus, etc., etc..:

"-My knowledge of Notre Dame is minimal? I and my family have been hopnored at half time, has yours?"

What year? What game? There is no answer to his crock of BS! He really is a John Hinckley, Jr.

468 × 286 - dailymail.co.uk

You seem to know a lot about being a dickhead. That may stem from seeing one in a the mirror each morning.

Again, no one that I can see made any derogatory post regarding Jr. Colleges, some need to read better.

Meanwhile as you gaze into a mirror you see a white haired jfk jr. That's normal...

For athletes coming from Jr. College it is almost always an "academic" issue. If they were good enough to go to a D1 school they vast majority would have out of high school.

Letsgo is right, this is a derogatory remark and disrespectful. There are many kids that the traditional route does not work for so many reasons. Some want to stay near home for any number of reasons. Others are still unsure of their path. This doesn't make them any less capable of the academics than those coming out of high school. The level of assumed elitism by some on this board is gross. And comedic. I agree with letsgond, JR college transfers should be considered. But regardless I'll enjoy the games on saturday.

Some kids are like Jaylon Smith and some are like Joe Schmidt. Joe could just as easily have been at OCC or Saddleback. A lot of kids just like him did end up there. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to contribute.

Go Irish!

For athletes coming from Jr. College it is almost always an "academic" issue. If they were good enough to go to a D1 school they vast majority would have out of high school.

Letsgo is right, this is a derogatory remark and disrespectful. There are many kids that the traditional route does not work for so many reasons. Some want to stay near home for any number of reasons. Others are still unsure of their path. This doesn't make them any less capable of the academics than those coming out of high school. The level of assumed elitism by some on this board is gross. And comedic. I agree with letsgond, JR college transfers should be considered. But regardless I'll enjoy the games on saturday.

Some kids are like Jaylon Smith and some are like Joe Schmidt. Joe could just as easily have been at OCC or Saddleback. A lot of kids just like him did end up there. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to contribute.

Go Irish!

We allowed a juco last year...Cody Riggs... ask floridairish....

Last edited:
I don't appreciate you looking down on JR college. ND should change and it would be a good thing.
ND has no policy to change. If there was a juco transfer that met the academic requirements and the athletic requirements we would gladly take him. It's just going to be very rare for those two things to ever happen.

JUCO transfers as others have put it, are difficult for ND.

Usually players that go this route require additional academic work. And ND doesn't want to look to prefer athletes over academics during the admission period. I wish there was a better middle ground as well. But I don't know that we will ever see it.

ND has no policy to change. If there was a juco transfer that met the academic requirements and the athletic requirements we would gladly take him. It's just going to be very rare for those two things to ever happen.

I hope something could work. It would be a good thing long term.

You never know. To many of the older alumni posting in this forum the scariest concept is "CHANGE". On the other hand, it seems like when change does come it is well embraced. I.E. recruiting younger and younger kids for future classes, (it was once stated in this very forum that would never happen because "We are ND and we don't have to go after recruits they come to us"), turf, sound system, etc. Who knows..........maybe the JUMBOTRON is right around the corner? :D

Last edited:
I don't know why you think it is a big deal. It's not like ND doesn't already have some recruiting advantages.

It's about having experienced depth. As I mentioned, there was the 2007 example. Again a DL out of a JC could help preserve a year of eligibility by allowing a freshman to redshirt, considering injuries up front lately. Or depth when someone transfers after one year for whatever reason.

It's about having experienced depth. As I mentioned, there was the 2007 example. Again a DL out of a JC could help preserve a year of eligibility by allowing a freshman to redshirt, considering injuries up front lately. Or depth when someone transfers after one year for whatever reason.

Pretty much a non-issue if you ask me.

Last edited:
One has to remember that Notre Dame is first and foremost an academic institution with a limited number of spots in its undergraduate program.

It is my understanding that a comparably small number of students drop out … and the number of transfers in does not exceed the number of that drop out. In addition to that the transfer student is expected to have successfully completed the same required courses a student who attended ND straight from high school would have taken for the year he/she is transferring into.

Thus it is quite difficult to transfer into ND … probably much more so from a JC or a college that doesn't have or require students to take courses similar to what ND requires. It doesn't matter if they're athletes or non-athletes.

ND has had a few JC transfers in the past. But that has been the exception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT