ADVERTISEMENT

How many more 3-star

IZO:

hypothetically, if ND gets commitments from a top tier DT and a Top tier DE what would your thinking re this class be?

Bear in mind ND may be adding another high ranked WR (maybe 2) - and 1 more top DB prospect. And there are at least 4 kids who will get bumped at the next ratings release.

The whole of the matter: DL has to be addressed.

IZO:

hypothetically, if ND gets commitments from a top tier DT and a Top tier DE what would your thinking re this class be?

Bear in mind ND may be adding another high ranked WR (maybe 2) - and 1 more top DB prospect. And there are at least 4 kids who will get bumped at the next ratings release.

The whole of the matter: DL has to be addressed.
please tell the board here where you get your so-called "expertise" in recruiting ? been through it ? coach ? adviser ? or just one mans opinion with no formal background in the subject ?

Reactions: Bodizephax
you don't see posts like that on the Bama board or UGA or tOSU or....

BTW: CJP whereever he starts' will be a 1st year starter. Hold off on the College Hall of Fame induction till he plays a few games.

Before denegrading the rating system or trying to create a bogus success idea; first at least examine the past 10 years and (1) who were the best teams and how did they recruit? (2) ND recruiting at this level has been how successful?

"denegrading" Thank you for this.

I didn't know you had "special needs".

It explains a lot.

criticize unfairly; disparage.

for the galactically stupid.

there is something some posters have in common: little knowledge and a propensity to make personal attack to hide their lack of knowledge.

They never ever offer anything of sustance to support their opinion. Facts will never affect them.

there is something some posters have in common: little knowledge and a propensity to make personal attack to hide their lack of knowledge.

They never ever offer anything of sustance to support their opinion. Facts will never affect them.

I don't think you should be "denegrading" anyone about knowledge as you are clearly illiterate.

Reading is fundamental..... I'm guessing you are below 3rd or 4th grade level...

Fortunately, you can go on Ebay and buy SRA Reading Lab K-8 and study at home. You need it.

Last edited:
things can only get better for those of you worried about us taking so many 3 star players. as you all know parker who we just got is a 4 star and then I just read this morning that big time 4 star GA ATH Marqueze Callaway is telling people per a recruiting insider that our irish are his leader right now as he got blown away by our irish at the irish invasion event. he is a top 15 overall athlete that can play wr. cb or safety. has schollies from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia amongst many others

^ the one to watch is Chase Claypool. This is an ubber talent - ND has a real shot - probably offense but as good a prospect as you find out there! This is the kind of prospect that ND usually is not in the mix.
He is a class changer.

I disagree with Pers in that I think the secondary was the primary focus this year and has been addressed. A DE that can rush the passer is a close second. ND has decent depth on the DL with Day, Jones, Rochell, Blankenship, Tillery, Cage, Tumbetti, Randolph, Matuska, and Hayes and we only lose Jones, Day, and Okwara after this season. The question is can we develop a pass rush out of the talent assembled.

I think the lack of obvious two deep playing time is hurting ND in this recruiting cycle...limited scholarships are a good thing when you have obvious openings, but with the two deep at ND, there is very limited opportunity to start or even see the field from day one. This will turn off a lot of these "5 star" guys that everyone clamors for.

So what has ND done:
  1. -ND has addressed the secondary depth issue so far in this recruiting period 3 potential starters down the road and immediate help on ST
  2. -Nd has pulled in 3 top tier Olineman to keep the cupboard full (necessary every year considering development time and esp since Tillery switched to DL last year).
  3. -ND pulled in a talented FL RB target (Necessary annually)
  4. -Nd pulled in a talented WR
  5. -ND brought in a talented but raw legacy DE
  6. -ND brought in a LB (depth made this necessary with Schmidt in last year and Grace off serious injury, and Jaylon possibly declaring next year)
Note that not one of those positions are even open to competition for starting this or probably next year other then DE, and even though we need an upgrade in pass rush talent, there is a lot of young competition there with no easy path to playing time.
If we have expected success this year and the depth chart clears up a little bit I think next year is the chance to reel in some big fish, but right now, there isn't much playing time to help entice top players that can also qualify for ND (stop the SEC nonesense of course they get a ton of 5 stars and some dont qualify or grey shirt....yeah yeah we arent in the running for those guys...period)

For those who say "playing time shouldnt matter"... tuitt, lynch, nix, jaylon, teo (The defensive players most people on this board say we should be getting players like in recruiting) all had clear paths to playing time or starting as true freshmen. Right now that is not the case at ND.

Last edited:
^ the one to watch is Chase Claypool. This is an ubber talent - ND has a real shot - probably offense but as good a prospect as you find out there! This is the kind of prospect that ND usually is not in the mix.
He is a class changer.

"denegrading" and now "ubber".... you really need to go back to grade school.

I disagree with Pers in that I think the secondary was the primary focus this year and has been addressed. A DE that can rush the passer is a close second. ND has decent depth on the DL with Day, Jones, Rochell, Blankenship, Tillery, Cage, Tumbetti, Randolph, Matuska, and Hayes and we only lose Jones, Day, and Okwara after this season. The question is can we develop a pass rush out of the talent assembled.

I think the lack of obvious two deep playing time is hurting ND in this recruiting cycle...limited scholarships are a good thing when you have obvious openings, but with the two deep at ND, there is very limited opportunity to start or even see the field from day one. This will turn off a lot of these "5 star" guys that everyone clamors for.

So what has ND done:
  1. -ND has addressed the secondary depth issue so far in this recruiting period 3 potential starters down the road and immediate help on ST
  2. -Nd has pulled in 3 top tier Olineman to keep the cupboard full (necessary every year considering development time and esp since Tillery switched to DL last year).
  6. -ND brought in a LB (depth made this necessary with Schmidt in last year and Grace off serious injury, and Jaylon possibly declaring next year)
Note that not one of those positions are even open to competition for starting this or probably next year other then DE, and even though we need an upgrade in pass rush talent, there is a lot of young competition there with no easy path to playing time.
If we have expected success this year and the depth chart clears up a little bit I think next year is the chance to reel in some big fish, but right now, there isn't much playing time to help entice top players that can also qualify for ND (stop the SEC nonesense of course they get a ton of 5 stars and some dont qualify or grey shirt....yeah yeah we arent in the running for those guys...period)

For those who say "playing time shouldnt matter"... tuitt, lynch, nix, jaylon, teo (The defensive players most people on this board say we should be getting players like in recruiting) all had clear paths to playing time or starting as true freshmen. Right now that is not the case at ND.

I disagree with Perse, also.

So what has ND done:

you can't put words in my mouth! I never said DB was not a priority; and I have called this group very good;

DE and DT are ongoing problems: years in the making.

If you think the Elite DE or DT is turned off by the depth chart - your smoking something similar to GB!
Awhile back I mentioned that I thought ND had reached elite on offense; but talent is not scared off by the ND depth chart - or try to explain the Bama recruiting to me!

there are 3-4 big fish possible; currently none on DL though.

If you refer to my posting be so courteous as to getting it correct.

And I have no criticisms of the current commits, especially since I am convinced they are unvalued. As to PB's commitment I posted my thoughts prior to his commit. He is now a ND pledge so he is off limits to any question. The fact is the worst I said of him was he was, in my opinion, a better prospect than Brederson! I was surprised by the Jones commit. But it was a question of position.

Last edited:
didn't know where to put this but 2016 CA 5 star OLB Caleb Kelly is visiting this month per some recruiting writers. would be a huge get

I asked a fair question. not surprising that you chose not to answer. I'm guessing it's because you have zero personal experience and are not well versed in the recruiting process.

Hopefully, if we recruit any more 3 stars, it will be guys that the recruiting gurus will magically change to 4 stars so we can all claim a recruiting victory!

I asked a fair question. not surprising that you chose not to answer. I'm guessing it's because you have zero personal experience and are not well versed in the recruiting process.

You're dealing with someone who claimed to be a board moderator to try and intimidate. It didn't work as he has already outed himself as a bs artist on numerous occasions.

I guarantee he has never attended anything where ND recruiters/other recruiters were in attendance.

He also saw fit to provide the definition for "denegrading" as:

"criticize unfairly; disparage.
for the galactically stupid."

It's fascinating that this numb skull still can look up the meaning of denigrate, but can't figure out how to spell it....

His calling anyone "stupid" tells you what you are doing with.

Ego combined with lying and stupidity is never pretty.

didn't know where to put this but 2016 CA 5 star OLB Caleb Kelly is visiting this month per some recruiting writers. would be a huge get

Cool

Kelly is a real long shot, but the visit can't hurt chances.

But it looks like there could be good news on a couple : McKinley and Claypool. IMO that would be 2 consecutive overall 'elite' WR classes back to back. That could help sway Hunter Johnson!

Last edited:
Athletes are we going to offer ?.Looking at the recruiting services ,we are not on many of the top tier 4-5 star high school players lists at all . Kraemer ( Ohio St still after) and Okwara are the top commits to ND for 2016 so far . Maybe some of the players we are recruiting will move up in their rankings .But as of now we are not doing well and we don't do well in January or on signing day with stars we are after .

It is still early ,so maybe winning in 2015 will help .

Still believe this year's team should compete for a final 4 berth ..Offensive line although not as highly ranked as Ohio St and others should be able to dominate the teams on our schedule . Running attack will open up the passing game .Watching Ohio St dominating in the trenches , that wins games.

I wrote about this a month or so back. I see people are automatically complaining about the reality of our recruiting, "the sky is falling," blah blah blah but it is obvious many don't think in realistic terms and are still living in the golden era of ND football. At the same time I am not blaming all of this on Kelly because I don't think it matters if he offered every top recruit, they most likely do not have the academics to attend ND or they don't want to play here, probably both.

In terms of recruiting and our future it is hard to say whether some of these 3 stars become big time players, we can only hope, but ever since we landed Manti the 5 stars we have had panned out pretty good. I think the one who didn't do well is Max but he still has a chance to become a stud. Also it is interesting looking at the 4 stars we have been getting lately, many on the O-line. On one hand it is great if they can become solid players because you aren't doing anything without the hogs up front. On the other hand it doesn't matter as much if you don't have kids making plays around them.

In addition remember we lose a ton of talent after this year and if you look at last years recruiting class and this coming season, it looks bad in terms of replacing those kids. Obviously the key though will be the progress of Malik and how he does in Kelly's offense, which needs to change to suit his style. If he becomes a stud and we run the ball more I think it changes a lot of things and maybe some new recruits might be willing to head over, if not then we are going to be in rough shape. Our number 1 rival is USC and looking at their team this season and their recruiting from this past season and already for next year, which is better than ours for last season already, they are going to be tough to beat. If we are ever going to have that chance to make it to a playoff game we have to beat them and it is looking bad.

Hey I am still okay with 9-10 win seasons, better than what we had before, but it would be nice to think we really have a shot at a 11 win season or a legit shot at a playoff spot. Again though I am realistic about our program and know things aren't the same as they were when Holtz was around or from 40's-70's. I think we have 1 NC in 38 years now, should still be 2 from 93 if Bowden wasn't a joke, but it is was it is.

Well let's hope Malik becomes a big time player and our defense gets healthy and steps up... maybe we get a miracle season :) Go Irish!

btw: the standard I use to predict Nation Playoff contention is the ave rating at the end; so if a kid gets a 4th star - it does not matter when he gets it. ND has 'bumpable" guys with more on the way.

We are not getting the players to compete for a NC . Domers see that . We will have 8-4 type seasons and throw in a 9-10 years once in a while .

Manti was a big get ,so was J. Smith ,but now it seem we are losing more talent than we are recruiting. .Lately ,offensive lineman , Quentin Nelson seems to be our top 5 -star recruit .We are really doing well in this area of recruitment with Kraemer ,etc .

Every time ,I go to this home page , I see pictures of QBs that we are looking at .and read about other 4-5 star position players who do not have ND near the top of their lists.Meanwhile the SEC ,USC,UCLA,Ohio State ,Clemson ,Florida State will cash in come February.

Also,I firmly believe with a healthy defense and an offense that can control the clock we can beat anyone on our schedule . That includes Clemson ,USC. Just hope Kelly doesn't screw up the play calling .

Izo:
that may be so; but (always a but) the thing is ND is getting to a level on offense that would put the team up there with the very best offenses; ND in a few weeks will have had the best back to back WR recruiting classes in it's history and as good as anyone including Bama and USC). A top OL and good RB's with a real threat at QB!
Offensively - no problems!

And if ND just gets 2 Quality DT commits and flips D Hayes - in an instant you go from your post to
pretty solid on Defense too! (this is of course a very BIG IF), but possible.

ND will never have USC/Ala depth but unless the rules change only 11 guys can be out there at a time!

Not in denial about the recruiting challenges ND faces annually, but just don't get those who feel we are in an irreversible decline. We have tremendous talent, and not just on the offensive side of the ball, and the best depth in many years. We have a very good core of commitments thus far, and the final star rating will reflect this for those that place a lot of weight on this. We always seem to flip or grab some last minute major talent, and why should this year be any different?

Yes but ND will lose an = talent somewheres; but otherwise as far as talent - the defense is not top 15. There are good commits in this class defensively but your as good as the weakest link and that is and has been DL?
The hope? like the Tuitt Lynch commits: it just takes 2. It ain't over but DE and DT cannot be whifs!

Perse, I agree the Defense is not top 15, simply because they have not shown that on the field, yet. Personally, I think our DL has the potential to be outstanding. I don't share your concerns about DT as I think Day and Jones and Cage and Tillery, et al will prove formidable. I do share your concerns about DE. Really anxious to see if Bonner is the sleeper here. That said, we absolutely need to sign a couple stud DL out of this class or we will be hurting next year and beyond.

Day has to stay out of the Trainers room! and JJ is coming off a sig injury. Cage really is not a strength nor a weakness; stay at home DT. Tillery is a year away and frankly s/b at DE (where he will eventually be)

Last edited:
Notre Dame has been getting excellent recruiting classes lately. The SEC is on the decline. Notre Dame was just in a National championship game and, IMHO, Notre Dame is going to win a National Championship this year. The worm has turned !! The Irish are back !
Go Irish !!
Notre Dame 44 Texas 17 !

Reactions: echowaker
Ogundej, another 3-star .Is this another diamond in the rough ? This seem like the worst recruiting since Willingham . Weis had better recruiting years than the 2016 commits under B.Kelly Weis just didn't know what to do as a head coach .

Question: Are we on plan B or plan C ? Reality ,we aren't high on the lists of many of the top high school stars.

Kelly should have an excellent season this year with Day ,Smith ,Redfield ,Stanley ,Fuller . Procise, Folston ,etc and a very good offensive line and experienced D line . But in the future ? Don't know ? 8-4 seasons?

IZO

ND is "in it" with a few top prospects that if they become part of this class will change your opinion of the overall class. It is a wait and see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT