ADVERTISEMENT

How many more 3-star

Izo

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 1, 2008
Athletes are we going to offer ?.Looking at the recruiting services ,we are not on many of the top tier 4-5 star high school players lists at all . Kraemer ( Ohio St still after) and Okwara are the top commits to ND for 2016 so far . Maybe some of the players we are recruiting will move up in their rankings .But as of now we are not doing well and we don't do well in January or on signing day with stars we are after .

It is still early ,so maybe winning in 2015 will help .

Still believe this year's team should compete for a final 4 berth ..Offensive line although not as highly ranked as Ohio St and others should be able to dominate the teams on our schedule . Running attack will open up the passing game .Watching Ohio St dominating in the trenches , that wins games.

Why is Britney's "Oops, I did it again" ringing in my ears as I read this?

Mods need to create one pinned thread for the "sky is falling" crowd so new threads like this don't keep popping up like weeds after a rainstorm.

Reactions: IRISH_FRIAR
reality alert: read further only if you dare.

note on the 3stars: a few are very under rated and clearly will get a bump - but

the only real deparate need is on the DL, particularly DE. S will be good if/when Perry commits.
CB class looks satisfactory.

Unless Gilmore stricks it rich with something out of the blue, this class will be another miss along the DL.
This is the third such 'miss'; and probably puts ND in the catagory of competing for Top 15, not playoffs.
There is the hope that the "elite" offense can overcome the D problems, but sooner or later ND will face a team with a top Defense AND a top offense.

Last edited:
With a small class expected, I don't understand why Kelly is offering all these 3 star players at such an early stage. IMO, he is better off going after top tier players during the season if the team performs as expected. It would be a shame if we were 12-0 and our class was already filled with 3 star recruits. I keep thinking he has already decided to bolt if he has a good season so why worry about the future.

Agree, DL need is critical. The offense is one QB injury away from a large question mark. It's an old cliche, but being able to run and stop the run wins titles. ND has the OL and depth to make this happen on one side of the ball. Not so much on the other.

I agree that if Kelly has an outstanding season ,he jumps to the pros .

The post is not "Sky is falling " .Rather a reality that we will be an 8-4 type program in the future . We can not be in national title conversation unless we get some more top flight athletes . We are not reloading on 4-5 star athletes like the Alabamas ,USCs,Ohio States, Florida States, Georgias,etc every year.With a lot of the high school talent in SEC country , the SEC always finishes strong come February ,something we never seem to do.

If anyone thinks Eichenberg is only a 3* they are crazy.
Both Kevin Stepherson and Liam Eichenberg are going to be 4 stars or should be at the very least. 24 has Liam much higher. 24 says Kevin is the 101st rated WR in this class and rivals says 62. If that's the case then this is the best ever WR recruiting class, by a mile.
Hey, if we can't land some big time D line recruits then atleast we are getting the high end OL recruits. Run the ball and keep the D off the field I guess.

With a small class expected, I don't understand why Kelly is offering all these 3 star players at such an early stage. IMO, he is better off going after top tier players during the season if the team performs as expected. It would be a shame if we were 12-0 and our class was already filled with 3 star recruits. I keep thinking he has already decided to bolt if he has a good season so why worry about the future.

I agree with Lucky Green. Also, other coaches will be fired or leave for other jobs so eventually if you prove it on the field the 4 and 5 stars will show interest on the DL.

jmo

the next HC is on the current staff; at least I hope he is! Let's see how the season goes.
I expect a season of high scoring but close games!

reality alert: read further only if you dare.

note on the 3stars: a few are very under rated and clearly will get a bump - but

the only real deparate need is on the DL, particularly DE. S will be good if/when Perry commits.
CB class looks satisfactory.

Unless Gilmore stricks it rich with something out of the blue, this class will be another miss along the DL.
This is the third such 'miss'; and probably puts ND in the catagory of competing for Top 15, not playoffs.
There is the hope that the "elite" offense can overcome the D problems, but sooner or later ND will face a team with a top Defense AND a top offense.
Another ridiculous post by Grumpy Old Man (GOM). Trumbetti , Cage are going to be really good players and Tillery has star potential.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I think the national search you mentioned took place with the recent hires. You can't keep recycling the retreads!

jmo

the next HC is on the current staff; at least I hope he is! Let's see how the season goes.
I expect a season of high scoring but close games!
There isn't an assistant coach close to being ready for a high level college head coaching position. Coach Denbrock should get the next chance at a mid level program. I hope he gets a chance because he deserves it. I would love for him to stay.

“We were looking for was somebody that could turn the room upside down,” Kelly explained. “We didn’t want somebody to be equal. We wanted somebody that was going to turn that room upside down, that was that good. We weren’t going to settle for somebody that was on the same plane. We wanted somebody that was going to challenge us on a day‑to‑day basis. Mike does that.”

Sanford has been a coach for 10 years and I expect this year to be invaluable in his preparation for the next step.

The only one that needs to think he is ready is Jack.

Reactions: Floydy
“We were looking for was somebody that could turn the room upside down,” Kelly explained. “We didn’t want somebody to be equal. We wanted somebody that was going to turn that room upside down, that was that good. We weren’t going to settle for somebody that was on the same plane. We wanted somebody that was going to challenge us on a day‑to‑day basis. Mike does that.”

Sanford has been a coach for 10 years and I expect this year to be invaluable in his preparation for the next step.

The only one that needs to think he is ready is Jack.
He wouldn't even be considered. You do realize he has only 1 year as an offensive coordinator?

Reactions: Ara64
  1. Sanford was never a coordinator at Stanford. I like the hire by Kelly but he has zero chance of being considered.

Athletes are we going to offer ?.Looking at the recruiting services ,we are not on many of the top tier 4-5 star high school players lists at all . Kraemer ( Ohio St still after) and Okwara are the top commits to ND for 2016 so far . Maybe some of the players we are recruiting will move up in their rankings .But as of now we are not doing well and we don't do well in January or on signing day with stars we are after .

It is still early ,so maybe winning in 2015 will help .

Still believe this year's team should compete for a final 4 berth ..Offensive line although not as highly ranked as Ohio St and others should be able to dominate the teams on our schedule . Running attack will open up the passing game .Watching Ohio St dominating in the trenches , that wins games.

^ conclusion: I only read ESPN headlines....

To BGI User 756,

Other than that 2012 miracle 12-0 regular season ,we are and have been an 8-4 team under Kelly . That is not from ESPN ,but from many Domers on this website . Some of the fans just don't view us as being able to compete with the perennial powers .
Point being : our recruiting has got to improve . We can't always hope that our 3-star commits are all going to be stars at the college level.

Hey I am ALL IN for 5-star guys that are RKG's. But simple numbers indicate that there are so few of them to start and then fewer still that academically qualify. I am okay with ND recruiting lesser known dudes with smarts AND huge UPSIDE.......especially since they are likely to stay 4-5 years. There sure seem to be enough smart QB's that want ND....and they are the key to any offense. Just SHOW them MALIK!!!

Keep in mind and I realize I am stating the obvious, but Kelly and Co. want all of the best players they can get regardless of the star rating. If they don't get their "target" guy, it isn't because they haven't done everything they know how to do to make it happen. Now you can argue that they aren't good recruiters and someone else could do better. Until that happens, it is just a guess. The Irish had the breaks swing its way during the 12-0 season or else they could have easily lost a couple of games. The ball bounced the other way last year or this team could have easily gone from 8-5 to 10-3 (FSU and NW). We aren't that far off. These coaches know what to do. Whether or not they can do it is why we watch the games.

Reactions: Ara64
To BGI User 756,

Other than that 2012 miracle 12-0 regular season ,we are and have been an 8-4 team under Kelly . That is not from ESPN ,but from many Domers on this website . Some of the fans just don't view us as being able to compete with the perennial powers .
Point being : our recruiting has got to improve . We can't always hope that our 3-star commits are all going to be stars at the college level.

Kelly has recruited of at an average of 7-11 via all recruiting services thus far. NSD is 8 months away. At least 2 of the commits will be bumped into 4 star range. You prematurely ejaculated again.
Could give a shit about what this website says.

The so called miracle year was no different than what OSU did during their season (see Va Tech, PSU, UM games)....and nobody was beating Bama that year. Give Urban credit for what he did in 2014 post season. Though Saban kicked Urban's ass the last few years in the SEC. Had EG not been suspended, we are back in BCS in 2013. His cheating hurt us both that year and last, for anyone that understands team play, leadership, confidence and repetition. This team is deep and explosive. Shame EG didn't stick it out.

Grow some hair, the short and fuzzy ones.

Reactions: Bodizephax
"...Keep in mind and I realize I am stating the obvious, but Kelly and Co. want all of the best players they can get regardless of....""

did Ty want the best players he could get?

Keep in mind that the stars don't mean as much in June. The recruiting gurus have all talked highly about each of our "3 star" commits. they fully expect them to move up the charts as they attend more camps and when the season finally gets going. I would just remain calm and see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: echowaker
at the end of the day until proven otherwise overall recruiting will give an indication of what future success level a team will achieve; regardless of fan banter. One players star designation does not tell all, but the overall group and 2-3 preceding groups will be indication of the level of performance.

at the end of the day until proven otherwise overall recruiting will give an indication of what future success level a team will achieve; regardless of fan banter. One players star designation does not tell all, but the overall group and 2-3 preceding groups will be indication of the level of performance.

And what is your point?? Notre Dame has been recruiting at a high level for the last three years ! You will see the results this year !! Quit being a old woman ! Open your eyes !

Kelly has recruited of at an average of 7-11 via all recruiting services thus far. NSD is 8 months away. At least 2 of the commits will be bumped into 4 star range. You prematurely ejaculated again.
Could give a shit about what this website says.

The so called miracle year was no different than what OSU did during their season (see Va Tech, PSU, UM games)....and nobody was beating Bama that year. Give Urban credit for what he did in 2014 post season. Though Saban kicked Urban's ass the last few years in the SEC. Had EG not been suspended, we are back in BCS in 2013. His cheating hurt us both that year and last, for anyone that understands team play, leadership, confidence and repetition. This team is deep and explosive. Shame EG didn't stick it out.

Grow some hair, the short and fuzzy ones.

756: foul rude ...and just not accurate

Last edited:
While I'm not "thrilled" with 3-star commits, I appreciate the fact that this staff has backup plans. Previous coaches (Weis especially) would swing for the fences and have no backup plan in place.

The departure of EG trumps any recruit we fail to land this year IMO...Having his leadership, with the talent pushing behind him in MZ, puts this team in prime position to do major damage this year. Winning (and getting to the playoffs) will help us with those "prize" recruits who typically wait until NSD to make a choice. In the end, I think MZ will be everything EG was and more, but the team is stocked THIS YEAR for a run...not necessarily going forward.

Just my two cents, but I am cautiously optimistic about this year. If we win (and lose by small margins), the upper-level talent will turn around.

I will also add, it is nice to be bitching about recruiting instead of cheating scandals, drug use, or other suspensions during the off-season. I'll take this over the nefarious stuff anytime!

I put more faith in the staff's evaluation than recruiting services. Often the main difference between 3 and 4 stars is the amount of camps a recruit attends.

Recruiting so far, not going well. That's my opinion . January and February ,don't close with top tier talent .

A great season might help.

ADVERTISEMENT