ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Assessment on Ludwig to the Children of the Board

BleedingBlueNGold

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2009
Let’s be honest, Andy Ludwig is a name none of us ever heard of until 2 weeks ago. When I researched him, the more I thought he would be a good fit for us, but I thought it was a long shot to land this man.

Let’s face it, the dude is 58 years old and about 5-7 years away from retiring comfortably. He made a nice living for his family as a career OC, so what would be the draw right now to go to a higher pressure situation in the middle of Indiana for probably not much more than what he is making at Utah.

Even if ND were to throw the bag at him, who’s to say he and his wife would want to give up their life in Utah. One thing I know about people from Utah, they like to ski and they are surrounded by world class slopes. Let’s say his wife is really into skiing and is roughly the same age. She has a a limited shelf life to continue partaking in that activity. Why would she want to move to the middle of Indiana and give up her hobby?

The juice has to be worth the squeeze to uproot your family and start a new life somewhere else. It’s a lot harder for someone older to do that. If Ludwig was 20 years younger, I would bet he comes to ND for the opportunity to showcase his skills on this bigger stage. Not everyone is motivated by money. Especially a 58 years old looking at retirement in the face.

The assumption that the administration is cheap and screwed this up is ridiculous. As far as I know, no official offer was given to Ludwig for him to turn down. That means there likely wasn’t enough mutual interest for there to be an offer to begin with.

Notre Dame fans are rather biased. We tend to think that ND is the greatest University on Earth and that no one in their right mind would ever think of turning down such an opportunity to provide their services to Our Lady. And although we think that, there’s a lot of people that don’t. That’s just a fact.

So does it suck a little? Yes, because I thought his offensive philosophy and years of experience are what this program can benefit from. However, I’m not gonna have a 2 hour pity party on YouTube like the Irish Breakdown guys did last night. I’m not a child. My life has more meaning. I’m not going to let a football team get in the way of that.

There's no let's face it at all. No gaslighting on this one, buddy. This is a disappointing turn of events, and he was a perfectly excellent candidate. Just what the doctor ordered. If same time next year we just completed another 8-4 or 7-5 season, because we promoted our TE coach from within, then wtf are you even talking about?

I want to keep winning. That's what BK brought us. And I want to get back there. As far as you being a man of such higher caliber, whose life has meaning, and it's moments like this that help you understand what's actually important in this crazy world.... you don't need this board to hold your hand and reassure you. Just take it outside, I suppose, if all you really want is to 'simp' for ND's bungling and self-interested frugality....

Lots of OC's that fared as well as Utah. UCLA, Western KY, Ole Miss, UTSA, SMU and UCF to name a few.

If you go over the last two years, the Hilltopers have been one of the best 2 years running.

Im sure we can find someone that relates, has the chops and we can afford. Had to be more than money, Nd could wipe its butt with 3M by asking any alum to help.

Lots of OC's that fared as well as Utah. UCLA, Western KY, Ole Miss, UTSA, SMU and UCF to name a few.

If you go over the last two years, the Hilltopers have been one of the best 2 years running.

Im sure we can find someone that relates, has the chops and we can afford. Had to be more than money, Nd could wipe its butt with 3M by asking any alum to help.
It has everything to do with money. And also Jack not really wanting Ludwig

I was not excited at all about the hire … we need a dynamic recruiter and a proven QB developer and Ludwig is neither. I can’t imagine too many top QBs excited to play in Ludwig’s scheme.

Utah re-structured his contract 2 weeks ago. Before that he is a 3-year contract making less than $1.5M per year.

I would not pay $4M to release this guy and his OL coach … whether you have the $ or not you can’t just throw it around carelessly and then if the guy is not a fit he’s even harder to fire … and we’ve had our share of “not a fit” assistants.

I was not excited at all about the hire … we need a dynamic recruiter and a proven QB developer and Ludwig is neither. I can’t imagine too many top QBs excited to play in Ludwig’s scheme.

Utah re-structured his contract 2 weeks ago. Before that he is a 3-year contract making less than $1.5M per year.

I would not pay $4M to release this guy and his OL coach … whether you have the $ or not you can’t just throw it around carelessly and then if the guy is not a fit he’s even harder to fire … and we’ve had our share of “not a fit” assistants.
His offense scored 38ppg at Utah. With Utahs talent. So at worst, he has a similar offense to Rees but did more with less

Reactions: NDinNJ

That's fair. There are definitely other good options, without question. But since we settled on this guy, and it seemed like everything was great guns and MF had found his man, this was going to be a great hire. And Utah's offense rocks, and he did wonders with that white-trash looking dude they had at QB, Cam Rising, though he does have a cool name. So I don't think that's fair commentary about Ludwig. Plus there's that other QB who's in the NFL now, I'll look it up real quick. Tyler Huntley is his name. He probably wouldn't be in the NFL today if not for the huge improvement in his senior year at Utah under Ludwig.

You just didn't want this guy to be hired. You'd probably be willing to spend the same 4 mil on someone you did like. So that's just personal preference.

Let’s be honest, Andy Ludwig is a name none of us ever heard of until 2 weeks ago. When I researched him, the more I thought he would be a good fit for us, but I thought it was a long shot to land this man.

Let’s face it, the dude is 58 years old and about 5-7 years away from retiring comfortably. He made a nice living for his family as a career OC, so what would be the draw right now to go to a higher pressure situation in the middle of Indiana for probably not much more than what he is making at Utah.

Even if ND were to throw the bag at him, who’s to say he and his wife would want to give up their life in Utah. One thing I know about people from Utah, they like to ski and they are surrounded by world class slopes. Let’s say his wife is really into skiing and is roughly the same age. She has a a limited shelf life to continue partaking in that activity. Why would she want to move to the middle of Indiana and give up her hobby?

The juice has to be worth the squeeze to uproot your family and start a new life somewhere else. It’s a lot harder for someone older to do that. If Ludwig was 20 years younger, I would bet he comes to ND for the opportunity to showcase his skills on this bigger stage. Not everyone is motivated by money. Especially a 58 years old looking at retirement in the face.

The assumption that the administration is cheap and screwed this up is ridiculous. As far as I know, no official offer was given to Ludwig for him to turn down. That means there likely wasn’t enough mutual interest for there to be an offer to begin with.

Notre Dame fans are rather biased. We tend to think that ND is the greatest University on Earth and that no one in their right mind would ever think of turning down such an opportunity to provide their services to Our Lady. And although we think that, there’s a lot of people that don’t. That’s just a fact.

So does it suck a little? Yes, because I thought his offensive philosophy and years of experience are what this program can benefit from. However, I’m not gonna have a 2 hour pity party on YouTube like the Irish Breakdown guys did last night. I’m not a child. My life has more meaning. I’m not going to let a football team get in the way of that.
They can hop on a jet and go skiing any time they want. You make it seem like these coaches are earning the median income. They are what is considered the 1%. They can fly out on a whim and go skiing.. 😂 some of the posts on this board are absolutely ridiculous.

They can hop on a jet and go skiing any time they want. You make it seem like these coaches are earning the median income. They are what is considered the 1%. They can fly out on a whim and go skiing.. 😂 some of the posts on this board are absolutely ridiculous.
Yes- they are certainly 1%ers, but lifestyle matters. Especially to 55+ year olds. It’s not terribly practical to hop on a jet out of SB and go ski at Park City for a few days.

ND had parameters they were willing to work within. $2.8M buyout was outside of those parameters. On to the next guy.

Only time will tell how this all shakes out.

Yes- they are certainly 1%ers, but lifestyle matters. Especially to 55+ year olds. It’s not terribly practical to hop on a jet out of SB and go ski at Park City for a few days.

ND had parameters they were willing to work within. $2.8M buyout was outside of those parameters. On to the next guy.

Then they shouldn't have brought him in and basically had him agreed to come here. Then at the last minute balk at the buyout. It's an embarassment for the University

I’m not that disappointed, Ludwig is a solid OC, he’s the equivalent of a double in baseball, let’s swing for a home run.

It has everything to do with money. And also Jack not really wanting Ludwig
"It has everything to do with money. And also Jack not really wanting Ludwig"

If Jack did not want Ludwig, then it should never have gotten to the courting stage when MF had a list of potential OC's to go after. I am betting there is more to what all went down.

"ND had parameters they were willing to work within. $2.8M buyout was outside of those parameters. On to the next guy."

Probably closer to $4 mill with the OL coach buyout as well.

Non-Ivy League schools ND ranks only behind Stanford in endowments. Like Stanford, ND is not serious about competing. ND like Stanford is content winning a National Championship in Girls Basketball. Not football. A Head Coach with a National Championship on his resume' or with aspirations of beating the Alabama's, Clemson's, and Georgia's of the world. Should not come to ND, or in the case of BK or MF, should not stay at ND when real jobs, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU or Georgia come on the radar.

Then they shouldn't have brought him in and basically had him agreed to come here. Then at the last minute balk at the buyout. It's an embarassment for the University
Disaster, mess, ugly situation- no doubt. Not sure who dropped the ball. Per Driskell, ND had their hands on “the wrong contract”. No damn idea how that happened. Agents? Utah? ND Admin? How’d we get “the wrong contract”?!

How do you feel about Parker as an option?

Non-Ivy League schools ND ranks only behind Stanford in endowments. Like Stanford, ND is not serious about competing. ND like Stanford is content winning a National Championship in Girls Basketball. Not football. A Head Coach with a National Championship on his resume' or with aspirations of beating the Alabama's, Clemson's, and Georgia's of the world. Should not come to ND, or in the case of BK or MF, should not stay at ND when real jobs, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU or Georgia come on the radar.

I could swear that ND not only beat Clemson last year, but that we beat them badly. Must have been a dream.

Reactions: Classic Irish
"It has everything to do with money. And also Jack not really wanting Ludwig"

If Jack did not want Ludwig, then it should never have gotten to the courting stage when MF had a list of potential OC's to go after. I am betting there is more to what all went down.
He was willing to let MF hire him but when they realized the buyout was as high as it was, he wasnt willing to pay up for someone he didnt love

Disaster, mess, ugly situation- no doubt. Not sure who dropped the ball. Per Driskell, ND had their hands on “the wrong contract”. No damn idea how that happened. Agents? Utah? ND Admin? How’d we get “the wrong contract”?!

How do you feel about Parker as an option?
I've ready and heard good things but it is a complete unknown. Could be very good or could be really bad. That's dangerous

If ND admin had the wrong contract, I don’t see how that is anyone from ND’s fault. I would think that it would be up to Utah to provide the correct contract. If they say “Hey, here’s the contract you requested,” you kind of have to take their word for it.

If a coach is tied up in issues by AD and administration in hiring his" guy", how can he be expected to be successful. Tommy was JS's guy before MF had any chance then to look for his type of OC. Swarbrick is not coaching the O. He is wrong in curtailing MF from getting his guy. Watch it end up being someone on the cheap that has had little success. It's not that ND didn't get Ludwig. It's letting MF choose his guy . Not Swarbrick trying to handpick him like he did with TR.

Reactions: TheSodFather
He was willing to let MF hire him but when they realized the buyout was as high as it was, he wasnt willing to pay up for someone he didnt love
Tell us, WHEN exactly did they come to the realization that the buy-out was too high ?

I've said it already. Many times. Learn how to read. Maybe it's because you can't see. You have bad eyes remember sleepy Joe I mean Pat
You continue to evade answering the question, and you do so because you don’t know the answer !

If you did you would have provided the in depth details …. But, you know nothing !

You’re intellectually dishonest and you’re a fraud !

You continue to evade answering the question, and you do so because you don’t know the answer !

If you did you would have provided the in depth details …. But, you know nothing !

You’re intellectually dishonest and you’re a fraud !
I already did many times

Notre Dame is going to directly address and speak on the Andy Ludwig situation this afternoon.

Who is going to speak on Notre Dame's behalf I do not know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT