ADVERTISEMENT

Great quotes

Pers, that is an awesome quote. There was something very special about ND playing USC when Parseghian and McKay were coaching. Those two coaches were what was great about college football. Woody and Bo get a ton of press, and they should. But Ara and John McKay were just as competitive yet both coaches and schools had such great respect for each other. Two different coaching styles yet both had great results. For me there was no bigger game than ND vs USC. That was truly a nation game.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Pers, that is an awesome quote. There was something very special about ND playing USC when Parseghian and McKay were coaching. Those two coaches were what was great about college football. Woody and Bo get a ton of press, and they should. But Ara and John McKay were just as competitive yet both coaches and schools had such great respect for each other. Two different coaching styles yet both had great results. For me there was no bigger game than ND vs USC. That was truly a nation game.
Parseghian and McKay won National Championships - not so much for Woody and Bo.

When McKay was asked about his team's execution, he said it was a good idea.

One of Bear's sayings in the given link …"If you prevent the opponent from scoring you will not lose" … this is what I grew up with when playing football. The worst that could happen if you held your opponents to 0 points was a 0 - 0 tie.

Apparently today that doesn't happen much (holding an opponent to 0). Offenses have gotten more sophisticated, sure. But I also think that often the 11 best defenders are not on the field.

Grew up hating John McKay and that little smirk he wore on the sidelines. Of course, was taught to hate all things USC in a good way, including Charger and their damn Trojan centurion. Went to every ND game at USC for twenty plus years, and have great memories of the rivalry. Miss McKay's kind of humor in today's game, but this year's years game has the potential to be one of the great ones. Surprised USC is not ranked in the top five given their Talent.

ADVERTISEMENT