ADVERTISEMENT

Golson

Irishjohn68

All Star
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2003
What happens if he doesn't graduate in a few weeks from ND? Word on the other message boards is he isn't graduating.

well, that chat is all speculation, but if he doesn't graduate that would indicate that grades are an issue. If grades are an issue and he doesn't graduate then the next notion is he academically ineligible? If so, then the idea of transferring is off the table too.
So, the next thing for him is to prepare for the draft while working to get the diploma!

Note the posters also point out the Wimbush is studying the playbook and is working hard to be a factor.

Because he was away from school does he actually need to graduate this year? Golson was in school his freshman year and his sophomore year. He then sat out the fall semester of his Junior year before returning for the spring semester. Yes I know most ND players graduate by the end of the fall semester of their senior year or at least by the end of the spring semester but Golson missed a whole semester.

I.E. I understand that 2015 is his last year for eligibility for Football but I am sure Notre Dame does not have a hard rule that you need to graduate in four years. An example would be someone going on a Mormon mission for two years...returning to school....being sick...or in this case being suspended.

Now if Golson does not graduate all that means is he is not eligible to transfer and attend graduate school at another University and play immediately. I.E . He would have to stay at Notre Dame if he wants to play in 2015.

I also wonder if there is the option that he would graduate at the end of the summer semester?

Last edited:
If he doesn't graduate he is staying. He can't transfer without sitting a year unless he graduates. He can however have not graduated because he didn't address degree requirements while still staying academically eligible

To play at ND as a 5th year senior, he must graduate first. Can he still play after graduating in the end of summer, I don't know. I think it is important for him to be on this team next season.

To play at ND as a 5th year senior, he must graduate first. Can he still play after graduating in the end of summer, I don't know. I think it is important for him to be on this team next season.

There have been players in the past who played in their 5th year and were NOT graduated. This is a fact.

I think if you miss a semester you really have not had 4 full years so it makes sense to me he could still play and graduate in the fall.

I have not heard anything except he will graduate this spring and come back to ND for 5th year. I think he will have a great season as the primary QB and go to NFL in second round 2016

golson has told everybody since the football season ended that he was graduating so until he says anything otherwise publicly then subject closed

I have not heard anything except he will graduate this spring and come back to ND for 5th year. I think he will have a great season as the primary QB and go to NFL in second round 2016
I wish that to be true. That would mean he had an amazing season. Even then I have my doubts about him being drafted whatsoever.
He is tiny. Not that players can't succeed at the highest of level who are on the shorter side but they do so by doing something incredible that most others of normal size for that position can not do.
Sadly he bears none of that. He has a decent arm. Not a rocket. He is a tad elusive but not very quick nor fast. He is not an ox for sure.
Then the fact remains there is no way he is even six foot tall. Maybe more like 5'10". IMO he is in no way an NFL QB. No way. Malik could possibly be more of the NFL QB of the duo. He does bear a powerful arm...is very tough. etc. But so very rough around the edges.

88, he is 6 ft or maybe a tad under and 200 lbs. .... that is not 'tiny' and anyone who has ever seen Golson play in person will not contest that he has a 'rocket arm' getting more and more accurate with improving decisions. Very good chance he will have a great 2015 season,, even if MZ plays half the time.

Golson is a prototypical CFL QB. That being said I think the first 6 games last year showed NFL potential. Like Brees and Wilson seeing over the line will be difficult and there will be tipped passes which lead to pick 6's etc. but with that arm he has a chance.

He'll get an NFL shot just because he can make most of the throws necessary for the NFL style of offense. Whether or not that team will give him a chance to develop will be the question.

I agree on the BC Lions. I know Khari Jones who was a successful CFL QB who was born in Indiana but played at UC Davis. Jones is still involved with the Lions.....I will send him a note to make sure he watches Golson! According to Wiki Khari Jones is 5'11 and 195 lbs....hmmm....just like Golson. Jones threw for over 20,000 yards and 145 TD's including a record 46 TD's in 2002 for Winnipeg....he is also a great person with a great family....if this ends up being Golson's path there are worse things!

Eddie LeBaron was an NFL QB at 5'4" give or take an inch. But 6' was tall back then and 230 was A lineman.
6' is getting relatively shorter to the OL & DL in front of them.
As to Golson's arm strength, there have been bigger arms that did not succeed as NFL QB's. (Jeff George or Drew Henson as examples). There are many factors that go into being an NFL QB.
The only common trait EG and R Wilson obviously share, as evidenced so far, is their height.

What happens if he doesn't graduate in a few weeks from ND? Word on the other message boards is he isn't graduating.
My guess is that an exception would be made for him, given that he lost a semester of school. ND is usually pretty reasonable in these things, and him eventually graduating will be the main priority.

Does a suspension count as a reduction of playing time in a collegiate career? In other words, can a player get more time to play to make up lost time because of a suspension?

Eddie LeBaron was an NFL QB at 5'4" give or take an inch. But 6' was tall back then and 230 was A lineman.
6' is getting relatively shorter to the OL & DL in front of them.
As to Golson's arm strength, there have been bigger arms that did not succeed as NFL QB's. (Jeff George or Drew Henson as examples). There are many factors that go into being an NFL QB.
The only common trait EG and R Wilson obviously share, as evidenced so far, is their height.

Wilson acknowledges that he studies guys like Drew Brees a lot to figure out how to find the throwing lanes. If EG wants to emulate those 2 QBs, he'd better get to studying film. He can make the throws, but he seems to wait for the perfect opening before cutting the ball loose. That could be fear of turnovers, lack of trust in his receivers or not seeing the field well. To succeed in the NFL, he needs to make that next leap. Otherwise he might end up more like Chase Daniels (another short QB that was fun to watch in NCAA).

88, he is 6 ft or maybe a tad under and 200 lbs. .... that is not 'tiny'
I'm sorry but apparently you don't know the world of inflating the program weights, heights, etc. Or decreasing in the case of some. Ha...ha.
There is no way he is 6' tall. I would make a friendly wager with you that if he goes to the combine where they pull no punches there he is shy of 6' by 2 inches.

Does a suspension count as a reduction of playing time in a collegiate career? In other words, can a player get more time to play to make up lost time because of a suspension?
I don't think so. Once he is enrolled at a university the clock starts ticking. He has 5 years to play 4 years unless a medical redshirt comes about. A suspension keeps the clock ticking.

I don't think so. Once he is enrolled at a university the clock starts ticking. He has 5 years to play 4 years unless a medical redshirt comes about. A suspension keeps the clock ticking.

Can't be...what about those who go on a Mission? Any break from school stops the clock. If you are enrolled that is different but when not enrolled the clock has to stop.

Actually.....we are both sort of right!

ncaa_eligibility_explained.gif

Some of the most frequently asked "Ask the Vet" questions that we receive regarding NCAA Division I rules have to do with what does and what does not compromise a player's eligibility. It is of course imperative that we as players educate ourselves on what will and will not affect our eligibility and for that reason, we felt that it was time to include an article on PlayYourGame.com that deals with the uncertainty surrounding the NCAA eligibility rules. We hope that this article clears up any questions that you may have now, or in the future. As a hockey player interested in pursuing the NCAA (Division I) as a playing option, especially with regards to obtaining a scholarship, two of most important rulings that you need to be aware of are the following: 14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

88, he is 6 ft or maybe a tad under and 200 lbs. .... that is not 'tiny' and anyone who has ever seen Golson play in person will not contest that he has a 'rocket arm' getting more and more accurate with improving decisions. Very good chance he will have a great 2015 season,, even if MZ plays half the time.

seahawk,

You need to attend a home game and witness the player walk. Golson is maybe 5'9. He is so tiny when he walks by, if you don't miss him altogether. Don't ever believe a listed height in the program.

Second round NFL pick???? Now that's just delusional thinking. He could possibly play in the CFL. He'll never take a meaningful snap in the NFL. He's just not that good bro.

Reactions: mh2365
I have known EG since second grade. I have stood face to face with him many times in the last 4 years. I am a little over 6'. He is eye to eye with me. One day we talked to him at the mall and I asked my wife after if EG looked as tall as me. She did not hesitate to say yes and has no prejudice in this matter. Have any of you hight'ers met him in street clothes ? He looks small standing next to giants as any of us six footers would. Also, his upper body is muscular and he looks to be 200 or over. He is slim in the lower half but his father and older brother are not, so he will probably thicken up in the next few years. EG throws the ball like few you will ever witness in person. When he started as a freshman at Myrtle Beach it was obvious,,,but through the years his ability to sling the ball with rocket velocity has never been in question by any objective observer.
Haters gonna Hate.

seahawk,

You need to attend a home game and witness the player walk. Golson is maybe 5'9. He is so tiny when he walks by, if you don't miss him altogether. Don't ever believe a listed height in the program.

Second round NFL pick???? Now that's just delusional thinking. He could possibly play in the CFL. He'll never take a meaningful snap in the NFL. He's just not that good bro.

Thankfully no .... last thing I need is another season after this of "this is the year Golson wins the Heisman"

I think he is officially just like a 1/4 under 6'; also he is depending on the day between 195-200

Nothing wrong with being a star in the CFL if that is the way it goes. NFL? JMO: UDFA

Reactions: mh2365
Can't be...what about those who go on a Mission? Any break from school stops the clock. If you are enrolled that is different but when not enrolled the clock has to stop.
I don't know about that. You are most likely right about Mission work. BYU students usually take a Mission after there freshman year and I guess that is why there juniors and seniors are 2 or 3 years old then other teams.

But I have heard many times over the years about this clock that starts on scholarship athletes once the first enroll at said school that they have 4 years to play 5 years. Maybe I have miss understood that.

I really hate to see Golson leave ND. But I wish him the best and I am looking forward to seeing where he ends up at. He will always be Irish!

Quite clear why he was not talking to the media now. Kelly can't go all pinky purple faced on him anymore for throwing TO's. 8-5 the new normal at ND.

ADVERTISEMENT