ADVERTISEMENT

Golson: I just needed a fresh start

I buy it. If he had gotten cross ways with Kelly and felt like ND wasn't a positive place for him why not look for somewhere else to go.

Agreed. Because being a member of a team. Especially the QB and perceived leader of the team, should always do what is best for himself. If things get a little hot, it is best to just leave. Especially when that team allowed you back after your cheating scandal. He really is a team guy.

Go Irish!

No one said he was a team guy. Its clear that move was made with selfish motivations. It seems like a reasonable explanation as to why he left though.

If he had gotten cross ways with Kelly and felt like ND wasn't a positive place for him why not look for somewhere else to go

Your statement above would indicate you agree with his decision. And that somehow he did the right thing. I don't agree. But, he is allowed to do transfer so he did.

Go Irish!

Independent of agreeing with it I think his explanation makes sense and is reasonable. What he owes the team is a different debate.

348-Whether it is Malik, or Kizer, or Wimbush. I think we will see all three this year, and the cream will rise to the top.

Agreed. Because being a member of a team. Especially the QB and perceived leader of the team, should always do what is best for himself. If things get a little hot, it is best to just leave. Especially when that team allowed you back after your cheating scandal. He really is a team guy.

Go Irish!
He's an ND grad who thought his NFL career aspirations were better served elsewhere. Good luck to him.
We're about to see what kind of team guy he is elsewhere.... I'm betting he kills it.

Reactions: echowaker
^^^Some will be watching him elsewhere, others of us will be watching ND football. ^^^

Interesting read for sure. Needs to play free, be willing to give up on plays sooner, be willing to go for small chunks instead of the home run, get back to fundamentals, etc... all things that others here and elsewhere observed throughout last season. My takeaway is that he felt the burden of his performance last season and felt a change of scenery and head coach was in his best interest, with little regard to the implications for ND and his ND teammates. Nothing wrong with a graduate doing what he feels is best for him personally and career wise.

Reading the two separate articles is eye-opening. Fornelli cherry-picked the statements that made it look a little like Golson was leaving Kelly. Feldman let Golson tell both sides of the story.

Golson is an ND graduate. I appreciate his honesty and wish him well. If things go well at FSU, the system probably translates better to the NFL, so he might be making the correct move for his draft future.

Go Irish though! In Zaire we trust!

Interesting article. The reasoning he states makes sense (getting a fresh start, etc). However, though he downplayed playing time as a factor, I have to think it probably was, too. Zaire performed very well in the bowl and in the spring, and would've been tough competition for him. Maguire, on the other hand, apparently didn't impress that much this spring. So that was probably a factor IMO, whether Golson admits it or not.

Best of luck to him.

And Go Irish!!

I think all Notre Dame fans wish him well. My dream, as peculiar as it may be, is to see him play well as FSU loses every game. I am enjoying the heck out of the FSU people who trashed him circle their wagons now spinning a new line.

EG is good people, thankfully his time at FSU will be brief.

Go Irish!

I don't think I would classify Kelly as any more of a "team guy" than I would Golson. ND will be fine without EG. Good luck to him.

"For me, it all started with him being genuine and for me to be able to (play) free again. I think that's what I lost sight of last season. At the beginning of the season, I was playing free. I was having fun. Closer to the end of the season, it kinda came to feel like a burden."

perception is reality.... His turnovers turned Kelly into a micro mange monster

Go Irish!
sad attempt at pathetic sarcasm.

To me it sounds even more like Kelly had an uncoachable athlete on his hands. I think a guy like that works well for a coach looking for an experienced, and talented QB to fill in for a year. I'm sure Kelly agrees with what so many on this board were clamoring for. He should have started playing MZ much earlier last year. Burn me once shame on you...

Go Irish!

To me it sounds even more like Kelly had an uncoachable athlete on his hands. I think a guy like that works well for a coach looking for an experienced, and talented QB to fill in for a year. I'm sure Kelly agrees with what so many on this board were clamoring for. He should have started playing MZ much earlier last year. Burn me once shame on you...

Go Irish!
That is because you are intellectually challenged. No worries though, I am sure your other handles will agree with you soon. You are doing real well in this thread. Thanks for the chuckles.

"It was about where I can most benefit myself." said Golson then said he was all about his new team and both are true. Kelly and ND are better off without him. MZ will be great.... But Jimbo and Free Shoes are better off with him....

Great post Ara - I'm going to take this approach:

The best thing that could possibly happen now would be ND vs fsu in the championship game. And we win.

If EG doesn't transfer, that wouldn't be possible. Now it is.

Go Irish!

Reactions: Ara64
Great post Ara - I'm going to take this approach:

The best thing that could possibly happen now would be ND vs fsu in the championship game. And we win.

If EG doesn't transfer, that wouldn't be possible. Now it is.

Go Irish!
I doubt seriously that two teams with 2-3 regular season losses will meet in the championship game. More than likely they might meet in a bowl game.

FSU have many great players that Golson can fit in to become great player. That how Mr Crab legs keep FSU wins most of games.

I re-watched the Music City Bowl game over the period of the last few days. Knowing what I know now, it's kind of disheartening to watch EG jump up and down in celebration after the game winning FG. Did he know at the time that the LSU game would be his last for ND? Did he have any inkling it would be his last? I think I am taking this much harder than most on this board just by the content of many of the posts on the subject. Not that I favored EG over MZ as the starter but just the fact the lad transferred.

EG gave his all for the Irish and in return he received the most cherished reward, a Notre Dame degree.

Now he moves on where I suspect he will have great success. His move will also cement in his mine what a special place ND is as he will see the opposite end of what is good about college football.

Reactions: sluggo69
EG gave his all for the Irish and in return he received the most cherished reward, a Notre Dame degree.

Now he moves on where I suspect he will have great success. His move will also cement in his mine what a special place ND is as he will see the opposite end of what is good about college football.
Ahh ...... summer ... where flowers and your meltdown are in full bloom.

Gotta love it. :D

the ND / FSU connection - This site for example... where Noles Post and Irish faithful hate on FSU,,, then lmao - Golson Goes there.... Hahahahahahahahaha, the irony ;^ )

I doubt very much that he gave his all to ND. I am proud that he came back and got his degree but doubt very much that his teammates think he gave his all.

Reactions: end_23
I don't want to play FSU in any bowl period with Everett on the team. The meltdown would be so intense with a ND lose. I just don't want to deal with it over the off season. I don't see ND losing 2 or 3 games but we shall see. I wouldn't call this a meltdown either. My take on it was Everett saw the situation coming out of spring ball and decided to move on. It's just shocking for Irish fans to see a quarterback, with so much starting experience, leave ND for another school.

It's spelled loss. Sheesh.

Now don't have an opinion different than 78's. He'll cry then.

You must be about 12 years old. I made the initial post in this thread, taking no position. I have made no other posts until now. You are pathetic.

Years ago, college football was a sport that college students played. Today, it is big money where top athletes go to college to showcase their talents with the hope of big profession money as their goals".
not too many " Rudys" any more.
so I can not fault Golson , or any player for that matter, for doing what he feels is best for him. In short, fans may love their teams a lot more than players may love their teams ? I personally don't see Golson as a pro talent. but
if Golson wants a shot at the pros, and he feels another school gives him his last and only chance at it, I wish him luck!

Less than 5% of D1 players ever play one moment in the NFL. If the kids go to schools that won't help them succeed academically they are as foolish as the fans who all thinks college football is just a bridge to the League!

Reactions: Bodizephax
Less than 5% of D1 players ever play one moment in the NFL. If the kids go to schools that won't help them succeed academically they are as foolish as the fans who all thinks college football is just a bridge to the League!
You mean like the lower division FB factory you went to? Did your school help you succeed academically? Apparently not if spelling and grammar are any indication of your academic achievement.

Whatever^^^^^it is talking about maybe you guys can figure out, but yes, FSU is among the clearest expels of bringing in athletes who don't belong in school, than doing nothing to help them be successful in getting a degree, I suppose it should be expected when the Head Coach is as dumb as a door nob.

ADVERTISEMENT