ADVERTISEMENT

freshman ineligibility rule

coolirish9

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 7, 2011
yesterday on my way home from work a couple of radio hosts on Siriusxm college sports nation were taking calls nationally talking about how the ncaa and conference presidents are considering right now making freshman ineligible like in the past. I was wandering what everybody thought about it. i'm leaning toward it because it'll force the one and done kids at schools like Kentucky to actually work on there academics in the classroom or go over to Europe and play ball instead of going to college
This post was edited on 2/14 1:05 PM by coolirish9

Would be a much better idea just to remove the restrictions on entering the draft that force players to go to college for a year.

I wouldn't be against going back to freshmen ineligibility again. Would bring "college sports" back to college sports, not having colleges and universities serving as minor leagues for the NFL and NBA.

If an athlete really doesn't want to have to go to class, then he/she has no business being in college.

I remember about forty years ago when an old basketball coach was speaking at the conference where the NCAA was considering whether to allow freshmen to play varsity ball. The coach told the members that he was against freshman eligibility. He said that he remembered when he was 18 years old--- he was laying there on the gravel beach on Iwo Jima, with fellow Marines blowing up all around him---and he was thinking---"Thank God I'm not playing varsity basketball, I couldn't take the pressure."

They voted to allow freshman eligibility.

Originally posted by tankdmw:
I remember about forty years ago when an old basketball coach was speaking at the conference where the NCAA was considering whether to allow freshmen to play varsity ball. The coach told the members that he was against freshman eligibility. He said that he remembered when he was 18 years old--- he was laying there on the gravel beach on Iwo Jima, with fellow Marines blowing up all around him---and he was thinking---"Thank God I'm not playing varsity basketball, I couldn't take the pressure."

They voted to allow freshman eligibility.
cool.r191677.gif

Big transition from HS to Div 1 level. A year to acclimate to new surroundings, academics and maybe just play Freshmen ball all makes too much sense, that's why the NCAA will probably oppose it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We don't have to keep score of the freshman games because everyone is a winner. We can give them participation ribbons too. Stop coddling these kids. It is suppose to be difficult. 99% of them aren't going to be playing past college anyway. When you take a new job or get promoted to you get a one year adjustment period were you don't have to take care of all your responsibilities?

I just want to see the one and done thing in mbb go away like everybody that isn't a UK fan does. the nba just needs to raise the age limit to 20 and see what happens

Cool- Just curious as to why you think raising the age limit to 20 is a better idea then getting rid of the age limit.

because if kids have to wait to turn 20 before entering the nba it'll force them to have to take academics seriously since they'll be at the school of there choosing for at least two seasons playing wise

I don't know why the NBA is requiring kids to go to college one year. This is a free society. If a kid is good enough to go pro out of high school, he should be allowed to do it. These rules appear to serve special interests, not the guy trying to make a living. If the pros don't think 18 year old kids can make it, then don't hire them. The way it is today, it is a joke. Calipari isn't to blame. He is exploiting a ridiculous system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT