ADVERTISEMENT

Finally, Golson to FSU seems done.

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
LINK (per report just now from Fox Sports)

Everett Golson will transfer to Florida State, the former Notre Dame quarterback told FOX Sports Tuesday.

Golson picked FSU after visiting Florida State as well as Georgia and Florida last week.

"This past weekend has been a defining moment in my life as I am proud to say I am a graduate of the University of Notre Dame," Golson said in a statement to FOX Sports. "The support I've received there over the past four years has helped strengthen my integrity, wisdom and character. I would like to thank all of the coaches who spent time speaking with me these past few weeks and considered adding me to their football programs. Their interest and sincerity was truly humbling. After much thought and careful consideration, I will utilize my fifth year of eligibility to join the Florida State University Seminoles. To coach Jimbo Fisher, the Florida State football team, staff, alumni and fans, thank you for allowing me to become part of the Seminoles family. I can't wait to get started."

The 6-foot, 200-pound senior graduated from Notre Dame on Sunday. He will be eligible to play in 2015.

At FSU, he will try to replace Jameis Winston, who sparked the Noles to the national title in his redshirt freshman season and ended up losing only one game in his two years as the team's starting QB. Winston's backup, redshirt junior Sean Maguire, had emerged from spring ball as the team's expected starter. Maguire led FSU to a 23-17 overtime victory over No. 17 Clemson last season, going 21-of-39 in his lone start in place of Winston, who had been suspended for the game.

In 2012, Golson, a fleet-footed Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, native with a very strong arm, helped lead the Irish to the BCS national title game. Golson, though, had to leave school for the 2013 season while serving an academic suspension before returning to South Bend to win back his starting job in 2014. Golson got off to a strong start in the first month of the season, but while injuries rocked the Irish he also struggled with turnovers, committing 22 on the season, and a team that had been ranked in the top 10 finished 7-5 in the regular season.

Golson's backup, junior Malik Zaire, started and won Notre Dame's bowl game last season, beating LSU and earning Music City Bowl MVP honors. Golson did also play in that game, going 6-of 11-for 90 yards.

In his South Bend career, Golson threw 41 TD passes and 20 INTs, passing for 5,850 yards. In 2014, he did have a solid 29-14 TD-INT ratio while throwing for 3,445 yards and completing 60 percent of his passes. Golson also ran for 14 TDs and 581 yards in his Fighting Irish career.

Bruce Feldman is a senior college football reporter and columnist for FOXSports.com and FOX Sports 1. He is also a New York Times Bestselling author. His new book, The QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks, came out in October, 2014. Follow him on Twitter @BruceFeldmanCFB.

Good move for him. He is doing what is best to help him play on the next level. Wish he would have stayed but hope the best for him.

Good luck to EG. But sorry, I won't be rooting for his team.

Best 'O Luck to EG as he's about to undergo the ultimate test of competition and pressure.

Lights, camera, action on the national stage where all eyes of CFB will be watching.

Best 'O Luck to EG as he's about to undergo the ultimate test of competition and pressure.

Lights, camera, action on the national stage where all eyes of CFB will be watching.

While FSU's playing Texas State opening weekend, ND will be hosting Texas in prime time. So I'm guessing a few more eyes will be focused on Malik Zaire that night.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine

I have read this post 5 times. And I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here.

I can guarantee 2 things regarding EG to FSU. 1 is that he has attended his last class and 2 there is little chance of him getting in trouble off the field( I am not implying that he is a person with off field issues.)

meme677a3da48807f4e2_zpsdu7ckvri.jpg

Good Luck to EG! He will soon have his eyes opened when he sees some of the despicable behavior that is the norm at FSU. Who knows, he is a class act, a Notre Dame Man, maybe he will provide some guidance to the younger kids they will never get from Jumbo.

BTW, he would have had far better exposure and played on a better team if he could have won the ND starting job.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Good Luck to EG! He will soon have his eyes opened when he sees some of the despicable behavior that is the norm at FSU. Who knows, he is a class act, a Notre Dame Man, maybe he will provide some guidance to the younger kids they will never get from Jumbo.

BTW, he would have had far better exposure and played on a better team if he could have won the ND starting job.

Quote from Argus/Holy Smoke, DubsDreader, Big Fella Fan, Irish Fan26, Epiciticus, etc., etc..:

"-My knowledge of Notre Dame is minimal? I and my family have been hopnored at half time, has yours?"

Reactions: ForeverNole22
I hope the Irish don't have FSU on its bowl schedule this season. That could be problematic. In fact, I'm hoping that FSU and ND remain distant football competitors for a few years, at least till the dust settles and EG is just a distant memory. He knows everything about the Irish offense. Everything.

I hope the Irish don't have FSU on its bowl schedule this season. That could be problematic. In fact, I'm hoping that FSU and ND remain distant football competitors for a few years, at least till the dust settles and EG is just a distant memory. He knows everything about the Irish offense. Everything.

Come on Jack..............get serious. A ND/FSU match up in the playoffs or better yet for the NC with Golson at the helm for FSU and MZ leading ND would actually top the "Game of the Century" circa 1993 as one of the all time great games in the history of CFB. Come on Jack............you know you would love to see that match up. Hell, it couldn't get any better than that!!! :):D:):D

A patently ignorant and foolish comment. Grow up.

Reactions: irishalice
Face it EG is never going to make it to the NFL. He will get the same package that Rapeist Jameis got at F$U and then just become another ex- ND qb for the rest of his life.

"Game of the Century" circa 1993

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the game of the century was in 1988 and we played Miami.

Golson going to FSU took so much pressure off of Kelly.WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I am sure Coach Kelly is so relieved........

I would appreciate your being more respectful towards presidential lookalikes.

per duds, epi, argus, bigf, 86, leo, ....
What famous person do people say you resemble?

"Many people have said JFK Jr., but I am much taller and now my thick hair is more white than reddish-brown."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoleThruAndThru

What he'll get hypocrite is unmatched QB coaching and a fair opportunity (with no guarantees) to compete for the starting job and some quality mentoring from one of the top coaches in the country.

Your hypocrisy continues to be the brand you are famous for. If Golson was at FSU and transferring to anywhere else you'd be trolling these boards blasting him and FSU for being a cheater and crucifying any team that would take him.

I have no problem with Golson as he paid his dues and came back and graduated but you would give him no mercy if he was nole and did the exact same thing he did at ND. You are a disgrace.

I assume EG left ND because he was not sure he could beat out MZ. So how will fair better against all of FSU's qb's. The move makes no sense unless he was just tired of actually going to class. In that case it makes perfect sense

Here's an interesting fact about Golson: He played in 5 Blue-Gold games (every year from 2011-2015), yet only ended up playing for the Irish during 2 seasons. Kind of sad, but that's the way it worked out.

I assume EG left ND because he was not sure he could beat out MZ. So how will fair better against all of FSU's qb's. The move makes no sense unless he was just tired of actually going to class. In that case it makes perfect sense

Unfortunately, your original assumption is shared by a lot of other ND fans and I believe it illustrates a mistake a lot of people make and that is this:

The assumption that makes the most sense to me is the only assumption that can be made
I believe that your original assumption about why Golson left - that he didn't think he could beat out MZ, or even a variation of that assumption, that he wasn't guaranteed the starting job - is not the only theory that can be offered, and it isn't even the most likely theory. Speculating that he left because he didn't think he could beat out MZ is certainly a possibility but, unless a person is in EG's inner circle, it really only amounts to mind reading and most people aren't very good at doing that. Having said that, I do think there is one conclusion about his decision that can be safely drawn that doesn't amount to mind reading. This has been stated by other people in other threads (me included). The one thing we should be able to conclude about EG leaving is that he didn't think staying at ND for his final year gave him the best shot at the NFL. Now, we can all debate the merits of whether or not staying at ND would have given him the best shot at the NFL, if he even has a shot, but it really doesn't matter because it wasn't our decision to make. It was his. So the real question is, even if we all think that staying at ND was his best shot at getting to the NFL, can a reasonable case be made that it wasn't? And can that case be made without including an assumption that he didn't think he'd win or would be guaranteed the starting job, and I think the answer to both those questions is yes.

Most people that I saw in the media and on message boards, including a lot of people who were rooting for MZ to win the job, thought that EG had the inside track to win the starting job in 2015 anyway. Brian Kelly's frequent praise of EG during spring practices and comments like "I think EG has had his best spring since he's been at ND" certainly gave credence to that possibility. I believe at the very least EG concluded what a lot of fans concluded - that he had a good shot at beating out MZ and it's possible he even thought that conclusion was extremely likely. So why leave if that was the case? A lot of people saw this off-season from one perspective regarding EG. They saw, with EG's 22 turnovers and his seeming implosion at the end of the season, he had a lot to prove in order to be trusted behind center in 2015. That certainly was a logical and reasonable expectation. EG certainly needed to prove himself, but a lot of people stopped there and didn't think there was a flip side to the same coin. The flip side from EG's perspective is that coach Kelly and the ND program had to prove to him that staying was his best shot at the NFL. Even if he knew he would be the definite starter against Texas he still saw firsthand what happened to Dane Crist in 2011 after CBK gave him the vote of confidence to be the starter against USF but then bailed on him after only 1 half of play and never really gave him another shot all year. Even if EG thought he could be the starter through every game in 2015 he still knew that what happened with the offensive line last year was unexpected. The offensive line didn't run block as well as everyone expected, and more importantly, they blew a lot more pass blocking assignments than anyone expected which resulted in EG being under pressure a lot more than expected. We can all agree that EG bares the bulk of responsibility for his 22 turnovers, and I believe EG would also agree, but the vast majority of those turnovers came while EG was under duress, so he shouldn't bare all the responsibility. So from EG's perspective is it possible that, even though we all might think the OL should be much better this year, given the fact that their struggles last year were so unexpected it might be too risky for him to assume they will be significantly better this year? Also, from EG's perspective, when he started to turn the ball over a lot did CBK do his best to put his QB in the best position to succeed? Did he try to establish the run more, especially early in games? Did he have EG roll out more to take advantage of one of his strengths and to keep defenses guessing where to apply pressure? And finally, is it possible that even if EG loves his teammates, his school, and even his coaches, including CBK, that he's seen enough unexpected negative situations develop on and off the field during his 4+ years at ND that it would be too risky to see if 2015 will actually be the year everything goes as expected?

I want to make clear I'm not saying the considerations above are 100% how I see the program. What I'm saying is the considerations above are at the very least reasonable and plausible if we try to look at the situation from EG's perspective, and none of them have anything to do with EG thinking he wouldn't win the starting job. And I don't think it has anything to do with EG "quitting" the team as I've seen other fans say. I think when you graduate from the university you've proven you aren't a quitter. When you graduate from the university and have an opportunity for a 5th season I believe you still have a right to move on and explore better opportunities and that's what I think EG is doing even if it's not the same decision I would make if I were in his shoes.

By the way, dagimpper1, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to embrace EG's decision. If you don't like it or like him that's fine. But thinking there's only one possibility as to why he left is wrong. There are several. Many of them don't paint him in such a negative light, and although almost all of them are based on speculation, the one thing we should know for sure bares repeating: EG moved on because he thought he would have a better shot at making it to the NFL if he played his final season somewhere else.

Reactions: [felix the cat]
Unfortunately, your original assumption is shared by a lot of other ND fans and I believe it illustrates a mistake a lot of people make and that is this:

The assumption that makes the most sense to me is the only assumption that can be made
I believe that your original assumption about why Golson left - that he didn't think he could beat out MZ, or even a variation of that assumption, that he wasn't guaranteed the starting job - is not the only theory that can be offered, and it isn't even the most likely theory. Speculating that he left because he didn't think he could beat out MZ is certainly a possibility but, unless a person is in EG's inner circle, it really only amounts to mind reading and most people aren't very good at doing that. Having said that, I do think there is one conclusion about his decision that can be safely drawn that doesn't amount to mind reading. This has been stated by other people in other threads (me included). The one thing we should be able to conclude about EG leaving is that he didn't think staying at ND for his final year gave him the best shot at the NFL. Now, we can all debate the merits of whether or not staying at ND would have given him the best shot at the NFL, if he even has a shot, but it really doesn't matter because it wasn't our decision to make. It was his. So the real question is, even if we all think that staying at ND was his best shot at getting to the NFL, can a reasonable case be made that it wasn't? And can that case be made without including an assumption that he didn't think he'd win or would be guaranteed the starting job, and I think the answer to both those questions is yes.

Most people that I saw in the media and on message boards, including a lot of people who were rooting for MZ to win the job, thought that EG had the inside track to win the starting job in 2015 anyway. Brian Kelly's frequent praise of EG during spring practices and comments like "I think EG has had his best spring since he's been at ND" certainly gave credence to that possibility. I believe at the very least EG concluded what a lot of fans concluded - that he had a good shot at beating out MZ and it's possible he even thought that conclusion was extremely likely. So why leave if that was the case? A lot of people saw this off-season from one perspective regarding EG. They saw, with EG's 22 turnovers and his seeming implosion at the end of the season, he had a lot to prove in order to be trusted behind center in 2015. That certainly was a logical and reasonable expectation. EG certainly needed to prove himself, but a lot of people stopped there and didn't think there was a flip side to the same coin. The flip side from EG's perspective is that coach Kelly and the ND program had to prove to him that staying was his best shot at the NFL. Even if he knew he would be the definite starter against Texas he still saw firsthand what happened to Dane Crist in 2011 after CBK gave him the vote of confidence to be the starter against USF but then bailed on him after only 1 half of play and never really gave him another shot all year. Even if EG thought he could be the starter through every game in 2015 he still knew that what happened with the offensive line last year was unexpected. The offensive line didn't run block as well as everyone expected, and more importantly, they blew a lot more pass blocking assignments than anyone expected which resulted in EG being under pressure a lot more than expected. We can all agree that EG bares the bulk of responsibility for his 22 turnovers, and I believe EG would also agree, but the vast majority of those turnovers came while EG was under duress, so he shouldn't bare all the responsibility. So from EG's perspective is it possible that, even though we all might think the OL should be much better this year, given the fact that their struggles last year were so unexpected it might be too risky for him to assume they will be significantly better this year? Also, from EG's perspective, when he started to turn the ball over a lot did CBK do his best to put his QB in the best position to succeed? Did he try to establish the run more, especially early in games? Did he have EG roll out more to take advantage of one of his strengths and to keep defenses guessing where to apply pressure? And finally, is it possible that even if EG loves his teammates, his school, and even his coaches, including CBK, that he's seen enough unexpected negative situations develop on and off the field during his 4+ years at ND that it would be too risky to see if 2015 will actually be the year everything goes as expected?

I want to make clear I'm not saying the considerations above are 100% how I see the program. What I'm saying is the considerations above are at the very least reasonable and plausible if we try to look at the situation from EG's perspective, and none of them have anything to do with EG thinking he wouldn't win the starting job. And I don't think it has anything to do with EG "quitting" the team as I've seen other fans say. I think when you graduate from the university you've proven you aren't a quitter. When you graduate from the university and have an opportunity for a 5th season I believe you still have a right to move on and explore better opportunities and that's what I think EG is doing even if it's not the same decision I would make if I were in his shoes.

By the way, dagimpper1, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to embrace EG's decision. If you don't like it or like him that's fine. But thinking there's only one possibility as to why he left is wrong. There are several. Many of them don't paint him in such a negative light, and although almost all of them are based on speculation, the one thing we should know for sure bares repeating: EG moved on because he thought he would have a better shot at making it to the NFL if he played his final season somewhere else.

Excellent post! Don't know if it is true, but if you look at the situation through EG's eyes, it makes sense. Hope things work out for him.

EG has not shown a glimpse of NFL talent and wont at F$U either. He left because he knew he wasnt the best qb on the roster and will make more money as a Criminole than he ever will in the NFL.

It is what it is and a real head scratcher for me. I am a one man team so Everett Who? I am glad the QB situation is resolved and we know who the QB will be next year. The team can now rally around Malik and we'll probably see a run based offense next year.
It is what it is and a real head scratcher for me. I am a one man team so Everett Who? I am glad the QB situation is resolved and we know who the QB will be next year. The team can now rally around Malik and we'll probably see a run based offense next year.
I was kind of in MZ's corner to be honest. I wish him well in life but not at FSU.

Unfortunately, your original assumption is shared by a lot of other ND fans and That's ieve it illustrates a mistake a lot of people make and that is this:

Thanks for your well thought out reply. All of your points sound on target. BTW this new format is giving me fits on my tablet. That's the reason for the late reply. Won't post anymore until i get my computer fixed

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
Part of me does view what Golson and Hegarty have done as a little disloyal. After all, both of those players had major issues to overcome during their careers at ND (academics, health) and ND stuck by them both. But now that they've graduated, they've both transferred out for their 5th years, due to PT concerns (Hegarty) and getting a fresh start (Golson). But both would've been valuable members of the 2015 ND football team, if not necessarily starters, and it does hurt our depth at 2 key positions. I wish them the best, but at the same time, I'm a little disappointed.

mbd11, understandable to be disappointed.... for the season ahead and what could have been, but think back to how it was to graduate.... a fresh start, right?

ADVERTISEMENT