ADVERTISEMENT

Does Tradition mandate Kelly being fired after this year

Only us Jersey guys notice those things. Especially us old guys. I even saw the Babe hit a home run at an old timers game. He only had a few years left to live, but still had that great swing.
I still like Bod's idea of the cannon. He must also be a Jersey guy ?

Bod
I was born and raised in Ny Ny and moved to NJ when 1 was 17, so I'm really a New York. Guy who lived most of my adult life in NJ.
I am.now an Arizina Cowboy with out the horse, the old bones could no longer take the cold and damp weather, but I still miss NY and NJ.

rgc

miss NJ?

try this homesick remedy: throw some garbage along the sides of your driveway; then park an abandoned car in it; then burn 7.5% of your DI to account for Jersey Taxes; and added touch: have your neighbor construct a toll at the end of your street. Npt all the things you can do, but it will get you in the mood!

I do think this year will be critical. Last year we started out great and faded due to lack of depth and injuries and Golson making too many mistakes.

This year we are deeper and have an alternative to Golson if he does it again.

If Kelly cannot win 11 games this year without a massive amount of injuries then one has to ask if he is indeed the man for the job.

Thanks Pers,
You brought back some " Great" memories. You forgot to mention the Liberal. Politicians. At least NJ has Christie , but he is the exception.
I think I'll stay here with the Cowboys.

Only one,
I agree with you 100%. If not now when ? It is time for Kelly to win big.
If not Bod's cannon !

here I go again; based on recruiting data for the padt 5 years, I do not expect ND to be a playoff team. Not impossible, just improbable.

Expectations are the problem for Kelly. Fans have lofty expectations. Too lofty.

IMO, I just want to see ND play like a well coached, well disciplined and well conditioned team. I want to see a functionally well prepared staff that does not cost the teams games .

Just keep recruiting in an ever improving trend and develop the prospects.

W's will follow.

rgc

My father moved us down to Phillipsburg New Jersey (from Alaska) because his mom was ill for us to get to know her and where he grew up.

We lived there till her passing (3yrs). Great food beautiful girls but that was no way enough to keep me there After her passing my family moved back to Alaska and I join the Marine Corps.

Poet,
I never got to know That part of New Jersey too well, I lived in Bergen County, Monmouth County, and Ocean County, I also went to Sommersville and Raritan when I was a kid.
No wonder your such a hunter, having lived in Alaska.

Originally posted by onlyonenow:

I think Irish Blooded is a Michigan Troll
He's really not.

When I don't agree with something I question it. Isn't that a huge part of the reason to even come to a message board like this? To talk to like minded fans about what we agree and disagree about?

only if there is logic and some common sense involved and all too many of your posts have none of either.

Says you.

But believe me. Waking up in the morning. Your affirmation isn't on my list of to do's for the day :).

just because you think you have common sense does not mean you do.

That is usually the downfall of the out of touch types like you. You see the world as you want it to be not as it is. Which means you never make much sense and as this thread shows people enjoy making fun of you

So you are judging me, and saying I am the one out of touch? That's cool. You might want to step away from the glass windows before the rocks start getting thrown, but hey. That's just me.

I ask only that you prove me wrong. Show me where anything I have said isn't true. Instead of just deflecting. Just use facts. If you can't do that. Then obviously your argument doesn't hold water. It is seriously that simple.

So you are judging me, and saying I am the one out of touch? That's cool. You might want to step away from the glass windows before the rocks start getting thrown, but hey. That's just me.

I ask only that you prove me wrong. Show me where anything I have said isn't true. Instead of just deflecting. Just use facts. If you can't do that. Then obviously your argument doesn't hold water. It is seriously that simple.

Just use facts? You are the one whose posts contain almost exclusively your opinions or projections of future events. Your prediction that ND is going to have a more difficult time, as an independent, making the playoffs, is not a fact. Your apparent claim that every "tradition" at ND carries the same weight as every other tradition is not a fact. Your claim that certain things are traditions is not a fact. One can't deride others for not using facts at the same time that one's argument is based almost entirely upon his own opinions.

Just use facts? You are the one whose posts contain almost exclusively your opinions or projections of future events. Your prediction that ND is going to have a more difficult time, as an independent, making the playoffs, is not a fact. Your apparent claim that every "tradition" at ND carries the same weight as every other tradition is not a fact. Your claim that certain things are traditions is not a fact. One can't deride others for not using facts at the same time that one's argument is based almost entirely upon his own opinions.

My facts have stayed the same.
1. ND has never had a coach this long that hasn't brought a title to ND. And they have dismissed every coach that failed to do so, by this point in their tenure.
2. Of the data we have to pull from we can prove that teams that play in conference with a conference championship game, that win that game. are 4 for 4 in getting into a play off.
3. Of the data we have to pull from we can prove that teams that play in a conference without a conference championship game (even when awarded the conference championship by the conference directors) are 0 for 2 in getting into the play off.
4. We can see that teams that play 13 games are 4 times more likely to be chosen for the playoff then teams that play 12 games. Even when the teams playing 13 games have a slightly lower ranked Strength of Schedule ranking then a 12 game team.

My facts have never changed about this. I have been told by using these facts I have lowered the bar or that I don't have common sense. Or that I don't understand tradition.

Brian Kelly has shown a lot of loyalty towards Notre Dame. He and Jack are taking this program in the right direction.

No worries. We are loaded with depth and talent this year. Good chance at making playoffs.

Factually not correct. Kelly has had 4 mediocre season 1 great season. After the one great season he tried to jump to the NFL.

IMO, this is Kelly's last year. He returns almost his entire 1st and 2nd string so we should have a great season, if so I think he jumps to the NFL. If he produces another 8 win season I think he'll be let go.

My facts have stayed the same.
1. ND has never had a coach this long that hasn't brought a title to ND. And they have dismissed every coach that failed to do so, by this point in their tenure. FACT
2. Of the data we have to pull from we can prove that teams that play in conference with a conference championship game, that win that game. are 4 for 4 in getting into a play off. INSUFFICIENT DATA TO CLAIM AS FACT.
3. Of the data we have to pull from we can prove that teams that play in a conference without a conference championship game (even when awarded the conference championship by the conference directors) are 0 for 2 in getting into the play off. INSUFFICIENT DATA TO CLAIM AS FACT.
4. We can see that teams that play 13 games are 4 times more likely to be chosen for the playoff then teams that play 12 games. Even when the teams playing 13 games have a slightly lower ranked Strength of Schedule ranking then a 12 game team. INSUFFICIENT DATA TO CLAIM AS FACT.

My facts have never changed about this. I have been told by using these facts I have lowered the bar or that I don't have common sense. Or that I don't understand tradition.

Hard to imagine that anyone would claim as "facts" what you claim as "facts" based upon only one year, particularly when one considers the 20 plus years of conferences having conference championship games. Or are you intentionally ignoring the times when the team with the better record lost the conference championship game?

Hard to imagine that anyone would claim as "facts" what you claim as "facts" based upon only one year, particularly when one considers the 20 plus years of conferences having conference championship games. Or are you intentionally ignoring the times when the team with the better record lost the conference championship game?

No let's look at that. By all means. Let's go back 20 years. For round numbers and since you used that number. To 1995, at that point the only CCG was the SEC that had started it just a couple of years earlier. In 1992.

Since 1995 the times the higher ranked team did not win the CCG were:
1999 #7 Alabama (10-3) beat #5 Florida (9-4)
2001 #21 LSU (10-3) beat #2 Tennessee (11-2)
2005 #13 Georgia (10-3) beat #3 LSU (11-2)
2008 #2 Florida (13-1) defeated #1 Alabama (12-2)
2009 #2 Alabama (14-0) beat #1 Florida (13-1)

Of those upsets, twice the team that won appeared in the national championship. Those were 2008, and 2009. Both times those teams won the national championship by defeating their opponent on the field.

In the ACC the other example I will use since they are about the only other conference with a long CCG to draw from. They had their first one in 2005. In 10 years, there have been two times that the higher ranked team didn't win. Those were the first year when #22 FSU (8-5) defeated #5 VTech (11-2), and 2008 when #25 VTech (10-4) beat #20 Boston College (9-5). Of the 10 years they have had the ACC championship game. Only 1 time has the winner gone on to play in the national championship game. That being 2013 FSU over #20 Duke. In which FSU won the championship. FSU also won the championship this previous season and was soundly defeated in the playoffs by Oregon.

So I'm entirely sure what that has to do with tradition. But there are the facts at least.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of tradition that reinforced the value of pursuing a national championship. Like seeing the student body hang the coach in effigy the night before the Spring game if he's not coming off a national championship season.

But the firings of Davie, Willingham, and Weis had nothing to do with any tradition.

ADVERTISEMENT