ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson HC now says ND should conference up.

Way to be out in front with this discussion Dabo. Now that a couple of coaches have come out, let the barrage begin. Now it's up to Jack S. Hold steadfast and maybe get the cold shoulder from the Power Five and selection folks. Add a 13th game. Join the ACC.

What is it with these guys? ND doesn't go around telling Mizzou and Clemson how to run their programs. And in fact, if Pinkel and Swiney looked around, they would note that ND has done quite well on its own.

Reactions: IRISHJD98
So for those keeping count

That is
Mizzou
Clemson
SCar
GTech

Head coaches all complaining about ND joining a conference. Wow.

Most of the teams in the power five dont play 13. If the # of games is the issue then Dabo doesn't believe any Big 12 teams should get in or at-large teams from a conference either.

For our 13th game, should ND play Wofford, Furman or the Citadel as Clemson does?

I would like to see ND play a 13th game myself but the NCAA won't allow it unless it's against Hawaii. I'm not sure why that's the case but it is what it is. I think those complaining coaches ought to foot the travel expenses for ND and Hawaii too! Besides Father Jenkins and Jack have already said ND would have to take a different model if college students should become employees of the university. The future causes my head to swim and hurt.

Its actually only if you play at Hawaii.

For instance. Ohio State has Hawaii on the schedule this year, and still only 12 regular season games.

Link to the Hawaii Exemption Rule

Its actually only if you play at Hawaii.

For instance. Ohio State has Hawaii on the schedule this year, and still only 12 regular season games.

Link to the Hawaii Exemption Rule
I'm not sure but I think he's referring to a conference championship as a 13th game. In other words somehow ND gets off easy if they go undefeated because they won't have to step up in December and play another game.

Random thoughts....
Schools with grad rates under 85% (or some other number) should lose scholarships incrementally. Schools above (whatever number) should gain scholarships incrementally.
Lower division games should not count as wins. Lower division losses should count double.
ND provides every opponent huge national exposure. Plus, I am guessing we sell more of their seats than any opponent..... if we "compartmentalize" our program we may devalue that/our brand...
Every school that suggests this should be blackballed by ND in every way possible.
The ongoing attempt to homogenize ND's.global football brand into a conference is b.s.. We have already gone too far imo......

Have said time and again. If you want ND to conform. First you need to standardize the rules.

1. Equal size conferences.
2. Equal amount of conference games a year
3. Must play all members of the x-division. Once before doing it again.
4. If you play FCS opponent you can't play participate in the playoff
5. Must win a conference championship to play in the playoffs.

You do that you make a standard all for all teams so they can't load up on easy OOC or rent a wins before big games just to ease your way in.

Random thoughts....
Schools with grad rates under 85% (or some other number) should lose scholarships incrementally. Schools above (whatever number) should gain scholarships incrementally.
Lower division games should not count as wins. Lower division losses should count double.
ND provides every opponent huge national exposure. Plus, I am guessing we sell more of their seats than any opponent..... if we "compartmentalize" our program we may devalue that/our brand...
Every school that suggests this should be blackballed by ND in every way possible.
The ongoing attempt to homogenize ND's.global football brand into a conference is b.s.. We have already gone too far imo......
Never happen unless you factor in special consideration for privately funded schools as compared to state funded one's. Private schools like ND, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke etc. will almost always have higher grad rates than most any state funded public school simply because their entrance requirements are generally tougher. There will always be more student athletes that fail to
graduate in the public school sector than in the private one. It is what it is.

As far as scheduling is concerned it's important to look at the entire body of work. Two teams with an SOS rank at say 20/21 and one plays the Citadel and one plays UMass. Not really that much difference between the Citadel and UMass when it comes to FB.

Never happen unless you factor in special consideration for privately funded schools as compared to state funded one's. Private schools like ND, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke etc. will almost always have higher grad rates than most any state funded public school simply because their entrance requirements are generally tougher. There will always be more student athletes that fail to
graduate in the public school sector than in the private one. It is what it is.

As far as scheduling is concerned it's important to look at the entire body of work. Two teams with an SOS rank at say 20/21 and one plays the Citadel and one plays UMass. Not really that much difference between the Citadel and UMass when it comes to FB.

Agreed in large part.

Some key differences between college football divisions are the number of scholarships, coaches on staff....
(I think DII can only have 63 scholarships) This link has some info:

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/genrel/020303aaa.html

Who can forget Appalachian State's destruction of michigan in the 2007 opener? The system is far from perfect, but teams coupling lesser skilled DI opponents with DII cupcakes helps a teams recovery/health and win totals.

Nothing is an exact science and I'd take the ND team that showed up against FSU over the one that played Northwestern all day every day. It's amazing how different the same team can be throughout the season.

The science is inexact and all I (we) can hope for is that it's inexact equally for everyone.

Our 2012 team was out of the BCS NC game until some huge collapses/upsets in the final weeks.

I don't know which teams ahead of us at that time had played DII schools if any. I'm guessing there were some.... Since things went our way I'm not sure if anyone bothered to check.

At the end of the day, it's unfortunate that certain coaches are piping off about ND and how we go about our business.

ADVERTISEMENT