ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Claypool

most insiders think he is ours but Oregon seems to be our biggest threat for him

Confident he'll be Irish. I think Oregon is going to make a great final push and I really think he likes the "swag" in Eugene, but the parents (mom especially) is a huge proponent of education. Canadian public high schools are far and away better than their American counterparts and prepare students for University MUCH better. Chase (who I've spoken with many times) will be prepared academically, wherever he goes... Mom wants that ND degree... I think Chase does too.

Clay pool won't be ready-made, however. Wherever he ends up playing, it's going to take a couple years to mould him. Exceptionally high upside with his size and athletic ability.

Could be anything from Maurice Stovall to Dion Jordan. Such a raw, talented, player.

Confident he'll be Irish. I think Oregon is going to make a great final push and I really think he likes the "swag" in Eugene, but the parents (mom especially) is a huge proponent of education. Canadian public high schools are far and away better than their American counterparts and prepare students for University MUCH better. Chase (who I've spoken with many times) will be prepared academically, wherever he goes... Mom wants that ND degree... I think Chase does too.

You may indeed be correct that schools in Canada are better . I have one problem with this assertion .This is anecdotal but, most Canadians I meet don't seem to be the brightest bulbs around and I am in the science field.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
You may indeed be correct that schools in Canada are better . I have one problem with this assertion .This is anecdotal but, most Canadians I meet don't seem to be the brightest bulbs around and I am in the science field.
Seriously? I love my American neighbours and as a Canadian I am not one to think we are smarter at the top end but pull up to an intersection in Pennsylvania, Oklahoma or Alabama and ask them something not about Canada but Ireland, Italy, China, Egypt etc. and see how they compare to the dumb Canucks.

Funny my wife Canadian runs a lab and had to have a Canadian masters student fix the research of a Harvard PHD - has to correct her crap all the time ...... stick that in your crack pipe.

Guys,

No need to get bent out of shape. Nobody is suggesting that Canadians are smarter than Americans. You jumped to a defensive position. I don't think anybody in the "the know" would suggest that American public schools are anywhere close to Canadian public schools... That has no bearing on the fantastic Universities in the U.S or the intelligence of the American people as a whole. I'm simply saying that Claypool will be much more "ready" than the average kid from an American public school.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Funny my wife Canadian runs a lab and had to have a Canadian masters student fix the research of a Harvard PHD - has to correct her crap all the time ...... stick that in your crack pipe.

English mother phucker.....DO YOU SPEAK IT?

You must have that my wife Canadian masters two.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
With the depth and youth ND has at WR, I think they can take a guy like Claypool with the great upside.

Sorry another question: Has anyone here evaluated him? I know he's a three star but I hear he could have the potential to be a legit star. Any insight? IIO, have you seen him play in Canada/do you have a read on him? I know foreign prospects are harder to evaluate

Sorry another question: Has anyone here evaluated him? I know he's a three star but I hear he could have the potential to be a legit star. Any insight? IIO, have you seen him play in Canada/do you have a read on him? I know foreign prospects are harder to evaluate

the 'eyes on' people raved about him at the II. And this kid can be offense or defense. Only Stepherson got praise like him. Stepherson is apparentley something very special.

Most the analysis I've seen on Claypool has him as being very raw, but with mountain of upside.

When you look at his size, build, athleticism and film and then considering where he played, the coaching he likely received, and the competition he faced....that makes a lot of sense

This kid has really received a lot of hype recently and seen his recruitment pickup BIG TIME. He definitely seems like a player who will end as a 4* star and still be known for his massive upside potential even then.

I'd definitely like to get this kid locked up, get him on campus, and then just see how it shakes out

I've watched Claypool play in person and participate in camp settings. I know it's a tired, used, old, cliche, but the word that immediately pops into mind is "raw".... But extremely talented.

He's a legit 6'5 and by the this time next year, he could be anywhere between 215lbs-240lbs (and still growing). To give you a comparison, look at Austin Robertson, who transitioned from wide receiver to rush end during his high school career. IMO, Claypool is a better athlete and has a better frame than Roberson, he simply has no played as good of football and has he to narrow his college position... Personally, I love him as a rush end. 250lbs would be an easy achievement for him at his size. He has a near identical frame to Ishaq Williams, who was a 5 star and played his senior year at 6'5, 220lbs and now ways near 270lbs.... Ishaq Williams, Dion Jordan, Victor Abiamiri etc, etc... That's the type of player I could see Chase being if he could dedicated himself to playing a position other than wide receiver... Otherwise he's a faster Maurice Stovall on offense, which is nice, but not ideal in my mind. Particularly with the wide receivers already on campus and guys like Mckinley, Callaway and Alloway interested.

Personally, I would rank him as a mid to high 4 star prospect if you told me today that he would commit himself to WDE and begin the transition now. His burst is excellent for a kid of his height and he has loads of room to add weight and still be lean and athletic.

Guys like that IMO you sign and figure out where they fit once they get to campus.

If the kid is completely committed to being a WR that's something to be considered but you can always find a place for athletes

IIO always provides informed opinions that are greatly appreciated. A sixteen year old is a raw talent when his technique and skill are below other sixteen year old recruits, but whose physical tools suggest higher upside than most.

in competition with the current peers he is far from raw! If you are comparing his talent now to his ceiling then he is 'raw'

Last edited:
I wasn't comparing his talent to anyone since I've not seen the kid play. Just find IIO provides informed opinions and this is my take on how a sixteen yr old can be called a raw talent, a characterization you took issue with. Both you and IIO are very high on this kid, regardless of differing terminology, and he sounds like an intriguing target.

well sometime between 7/7 and 7-14 it is a strong likelyhood he will join this class.
Add McKinley and the WR's compare with the '15 class.
whoever is at QB is one lucky guy!

I always try to project kid's ceiling based on his athletic skills (because we can't possibly know all of his intangibles). Based on tangible evidence (and I've seen Claypool 7-8 times in person) I consider him to be "raw" compared to where he will be.

There are guys that are basically college ready, who will be sturdy players, but don't have a ton of overall upside. Claypool is the opposite of that. He has poor technique (because he dominates his competition), adequate (but not elite) coaching and he is just beginning to fill his frame out. As a 16 year old, he's new to lifting and training at an elite level.

Compared to Dion Jordan (who went #3 overall in the NFL Draft) who I compare Chase's upside to, I think he is extremely raw... Especially given the fact that he's never even played the position I think he would be best at.

Could he be Maurice Stovall at receiver. Yes. Even better, could be be Jonathan Baldwin? If he develops... The question is can he be A.J. Green or Julio Jones? He's waaaaayyyyh too raw right now to know.

Not sure that I agree.

National D-I level players are usually much more advanced in their route running, route trees, etc. at the WR position, even at that age.

As far as defensive players, Claypool looks a little "hap-hazard" on that side of the ball to me, though I've barely seen any video of him playing there.

All I've seen is a little film on him, but from what I've seen: I LOVE his potential but right now he's very raw (relative to the top level players his own age). I really hope we land him though, I agree that everything about this kid makes it look like he could be an Anthony Barr or Dion Jordan type of player for us...the edge athlete we've been craving up front defensively

This is a kid Id really REALLY like to land

The canadian, iio, slams America then expects no one from here to get bent out of shape. So glad the USAWNT just won the World Cup on Canadian soil!!!!!! Even more satisfying now.

God Bless America- even though we are worthless to the Canucks.

I didn't slam America. Don't be ridiculous. Your public school system is a mess. It's hardly an insult, but rather, an observation. Stop being so soft... And congrats on your Women's World Cup win. The best team won the tournament and did so in impressive fashion. Your ladies played fantastic soccer.

IIO -

Thanks for the post, great info as always.

PS Connor F-ing McDavid. Boom. The national nightmare may be over.

McDavid is soooo special. Wayne Gretsky publicly stated that he feels that he's the best player since The Great One, himself... Better than Lemieux and Crosby. That's ridiculously high praise. It is yet to be seen if he possesses the leadership of a Toews or Yzerman, however... It's always the intangibles we have to wait and see.

I always try to project kid's ceiling based on his athletic skills (because we can't possibly know all of his intangibles). Based on tangible evidence (and I've seen Claypool 7-8 times in person) I consider him to be "raw" compared to where he will be.

There are guys that are basically college ready, who will be sturdy players, but don't have a ton of overall upside. Claypool is the opposite of that. He has poor technique (because he dominates his competition), adequate (but not elite) coaching and he is just beginning to fill his frame out. As a 16 year old, he's new to lifting and training at an elite level.

Compared to Dion Jordan (who went #3 overall in the NFL Draft) who I compare Chase's upside to, I think he is extremely raw... Especially given the fact that he's never even played the position I think he would be best at.

Could he be Maurice Stovall at receiver. Yes. Even better, could be be Jonathan Baldwin? If he develops... The question is can he be A.J. Green or Julio Jones? He's waaaaayyyyh too raw right now to know.

there is the possibility that he also could go D; and be something like a Brad Van Pelt.

This kid wowed the media - from a physical and athletic perspective - at the Invasion. They saw him against much better competition. This would be a huge get for ND.

"...regardless of his commitment, Claypool is one of the biggest potential risers heading into the week. I saw Claypool compete out at Sound Mind Sound Body Camp in Detroit and he has maybe the best receiver frame in this class at 6-5, 195 pounds. He was also really good at that event. I talked to people that saw him at the Rutgers event shortly thereafter. He was dominant there. He was dominant at The Opening Regional in Eugene. There are a lot of guys in this class that have better film but as a kid playing in Canada, seeing is believing for Claypool. If he continues to trend up this week the way he has over the last ...."

a typical comment re Claypool.

ADVERTISEMENT