ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Nelson was on Campus

Nebraska had another bad showing today against Iowa, losing 13-10. The Huskers had only 10 first downs for the entire game. Nebraska lost 4 straight games to end the season, and have now gone 7 straight years without a bowl appearance, the longest stretch among P5 schools. I wonder if Nelson is reconsidering his decision, or will keep his commitment, as he is likely to start at Nebraska from Day 1. It will be interesting to see how his commitment to Nebraska plays out. Mitchell Evans was incredible this year, but ACL injuries take time to recover from. Holden Staes flashed early in the season, but cooled off after that. Eli Raridon has huge potential upside, but 2 ACL injuries are tough to recover from. Maybe he will become "the man" as he puts those injuries behind him.

Nebraska had another bad showing today against Iowa, losing 13-10. The Huskers had only 10 first downs for the entire game. Nebraska lost 4 straight games to end the season, and have now gone 7 straight years without a bowl appearance, the longest stretch among P5 schools. I wonder if Nelson is reconsidering his decision, or will keep his commitment, as he is likely to start at Nebraska from Day 1. It will be interesting to see how his commitment to Nebraska plays out. Mitchell Evans was incredible this year, but ACL injuries take time to recover from. Holden Staes flashed early in the season, but cooled off after that. Eli Raridon has huge potential upside, but 2 ACL injuries are tough to recover from. Maybe he will become "the man" as he puts those injuries behind him.
He reaffirmed his commitment to Nebraska

Evans
Raridon
Staes
Flanagan

That will be an elite 4 man group for next year

I like all 4 of our TEs, but it is hard to see Evans being back at full stride before the middle or end of the season. Obviously every athlete recovers differently from an ACL tear, but 9-12 months is the usual course. Eli has a great combination of length and speed, but 2 ACL tears is a tough thing to deal with. We don't need Carter, but I was just openly speculating whether he might be rethinking things due to Nebraska's continued travails. I know Carter reaffirmed his commitment to Nebraska, but as we saw last year with Peyton Bowen, 18-year old kids can change their minds.

I like all 4 of our TEs, but it is hard to see Evans being back at full stride before the middle or end of the season. Obviously every athlete recovers differently from an ACL tear, but 9-12 months is the usual course. Eli has great combination of length and speed, but 2 ACL tears is a tough thing to deal with. We don't need Carter, but I was just openly speculating whether he might be rethinking things due to Nebraska's continued travails. I know Carter reaffirmed his commitment to Nebraska, but as we saw last year with Peyton Bowen, 18-year old kids can change their minds.
Id be surprised if Evans wasn't playing in September. Raridon is already playing well. A year from now expect him to be full form.

Id be surprised if Evans wasn't playing in September. Raridon is already playing well. A year from now expect him to be full form.

Evans may well be playing in September, but I think it may be wishful thinking to believe he will be playing as well as he was before his ACL tear. I hope you are right, but I am just trying to be real. Eli looked good against WF, but that was really the first game where he did anything worthy of mention. I think the potential is there, but we need to temper expectations.

Evans may well be playing in September, but I think it may be wishful thinking to believe he will be playing as well as he was before his ACL tear. I hope you are right, but I am just trying to be real. Eli looked good against WF, but that was really the first game where he did anything worthy of mention. I think the potential is there, but we need to temper expectations.
Tight end is the least of our problems. We are loaded there.

4 very capable guys of being really good.

Reactions: Telx1 and Pennick4
I see what you are saying overall, but I actually think that Nebraska is pretty close to turning things around and that they should absolutely be patient with Matt Rhule. In their last four losses, Nebraska has lost by three points, seven points, three points, and three points, Nebraska currently has a top 12 the top 15 defense but not much talent. It’s all fences absolutely awful and coaching. Hass to be blamed there, but I think, given another season, Nebraska can turn things around. I fully expect them to win 8-10 games next season.

Additionally, the talent level there is if you are a top prospect, the chances that you’re going to get some immediate playing time and reps is much higher than it is at Notre Dame.

Xavier Watts says hello
While this is true, Xavier Watts is from Omaha, Nebraska, which is way different than Ainsworth, Nebraska, a small farming town of like 2000 people. A player from a place like Omaha might leave, but I highly doubt that some Farm kid who is dyed in the wool Cornhusker is going to leave. Then again, I’m not sure about what Nebraska’s NIL initiative is like.

It doesn’t really matter though because tight end is not any position that I‘m never worried about here.

Tight end is the least of our problems. We are loaded there.

4 very capable guys of being really good.

I haven't suggested there is any problem. Historically TE has been a very strong position for ND, and it continues to be with the guys currently on the roster. I am merely curious if we have any chance to land another guy everyone thinks will be a stud. We don't necessarily need him, but if we can land him, it would be great. But based upon what I have read about Nelson, I suspect the pull to stay at home will be too strong to change his commitment.

I see what you are saying overall, but I actually think that Nebraska is pretty close to turning things around and that they should absolutely be patient with Matt Rhule. In their last four losses, Nebraska has lost by three points, seven points, three points, and three points, Nebraska currently has a top 12 the top 15 defense but not much talent. It’s all fences absolutely awful and coaching. Hass to be blamed there, but I think, given another season, Nebraska can turn things around. I fully expect them to win 8-10 games next season.

Additionally, the talent level there is if you are a top prospect, the chances that you’re going to get some immediate playing time and reps is much higher than it is at Notre Dame.

I probably don't disagree with you. I have only watched a little of Nebraska this season, so I don't have any basis to make an informed judgment about where they might be headed. I have always thought Rhule is a good head coach, however, so it is certainly possible he will right the ship. And if he does that will be a good thing for college football.

Last edited:

Pretty close to what? Going 9-3? So what.

Nebraska has zero chance to win a Big 10 title in the foreseeable future. Recruiting stinks at Nebraska, and they stink.

Reactions: theskibro
The least? I’d say corner is the least of our problems.
No way. TE is not nearly exposed as the CB position. One injury away/Hart leaving next year to having two first time starters in Mickey/Gray. Both will be good but not the learning curve involved at TE.

I probably don't disagree with you. I have only watched a little of Nebraska this season, so I don't have any basis to make an informed judgment about where they might be headed. I have always thought Rhule is a good head coach, however, so it is certainly possible he will right the ship. And if he does that will be a good thing for college football.
Nelson has a father who is pressuring his son to go to NU. I don’t see this kid bucking his old man but I do think he likes ND.

No way. TE is not nearly exposed as the CB position. One injury away/Hart leaving next year to having two first time starters in Mickey/Gray. Both will be good but not the learning curve involved at TE.
Mickey/Gray starting next year would still be an above average duo.

Nelson has a father who is pressuring his son to go to NU. I don’t see this kid bucking his old man but I do think he likes ND.
Nebraska will continue to be irrelevant in the Big 10. It should smarten up and move back to the Big 12 and Texas and Oklahoma should stay as well. Realignment is bad for the student athletes and traditional rivalries.

After watching the Nebraska vs Iowa I find hard to believe any skilled offensive player would want to go to either school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT