ADVERTISEMENT

Can't Stop Myself

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Reading about Golson. I always liked Golson -- I think he is a real talent -- but he turned his back on his teammates -- to do what is right for 'me'. EIfert, Manti, Zach Martin -- did the opposite. They put it all on the line and played a season at ND when they didn't have to.

Playing lose? Is it a knock on Kelly? He wasn't playing lose because he kept putting the ball on the f-ing ground. Or should we blame Kelly for not keeping him in the fold? I only know that he is a winner (look at his high school record in football and basketball) who has a solid arm. I'm so mixed on him right now. Two guys leave ND because they aren't assured a starting spot. And both go to one of last year's final four teams (FSU and Oregon)! Impressive. If Isaq ends up at Alabama next year it will really burn me...

Hate this time of year!

I hope Malik has a year for the ages. That will cure this. But if he doesn't and ND doesn't have the year we expect AND Ev does the job at FSU -- I really believe Kelly -- and I'm a Kelly fan -- is on the hot seat. I'm rambling, sorry...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...g-irish-everett-golson-talks-fsu-title-052815

How did he turn his back on ND?

He wasn't going to start and he will start at FSU. He is a good kid, but he graduated and have virtually no chance at getting an NFL look playing in situational plays at ND. At FSU he is almost certain, barring injury, to start and will face lesser overall competition to get noticed. God knows he won't have as many picks as Winston did!

I terribly dislike FSU, but they threw EG a life raft !

Reading about Golson. I always liked Golson -- I think he is a real talent -- but he turned his back on his teammates -- to do what is right for 'me'. EIfert, Manti, Zach Martin -- did the opposite. They put it all on the line and played a season at ND when they didn't have to.

Playing lose? Is it a knock on Kelly? He wasn't playing lose because he kept putting the ball on the f-ing ground. Or should we blame Kelly for not keeping him in the fold? I only know that he is a winner (look at his high school record in football and basketball) who has a solid arm. I'm so mixed on him right now. Two guys leave ND because they aren't assured a starting spot. And both go to one of last year's final four teams (FSU and Oregon)! Impressive. If Isaq ends up at Alabama next year it will really burn me...

Hate this time of year!

I hope Malik has a year for the ages. That will cure this. But if he doesn't and ND doesn't have the year we expect AND Ev does the job at FSU -- I really believe Kelly -- and I'm a Kelly fan -- is on the hot seat. I'm rambling, sorry...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/florida-state-seminoles-notre-dame-fighting-irish-everett-golson-talks-fsu-title-052815

I think Eifert may have had an extra season that he could have played because he was injured his first year. Regardless, I tend to think that all players do what's in their best interest. Some guys come back for an extra year to improve their draft stock. Some guys come back because they want the camaraderie. And some guys don't come back.

I don't fault Golson or believe he "owed" Notre Dame anything. Sure, ND "took him back" after his year suspension, but ND took him back because Golson at QB benefited their interests - they didn't do so purely out of their goodnewss of their own hearts. He graduated and got his degree, which is what we're supposed to be promoting at ND.

How did he turn his back on ND?

He wasn't going to start and he will start at FSU. He is a good kid, but he graduated and have virtually no chance at getting an NFL look playing in situational plays at ND. At FSU he is almost certain, barring injury, to start and will face lesser overall competition to get noticed. God knows he won't have as many picks as Winston did!

I terribly dislike FSU, but they threw EG a life raft !

bigfella is sure to agree with this...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...g-irish-everett-golson-talks-fsu-title-052815

If I recall correctly, didn't Eifert have a year of eligibility left when he decided for the draft? Would you have been happier if Golson had left ND for the draft vs.another team (not on the schedule)? For both scenarios, he wouldn't be playing with his teammates.

If I recall correctly, didn't Eifert have a year of eligibility left when he decided for the draft? Would you have been happier if Golson had left ND for the draft vs.another team (not on the schedule)? For both scenarios, he wouldn't be playing with his teammates.

Golson wasn't ready for the NFL yet. So it's not really an equal comparison.

He needed a fresh start after the mediocre season he had last year. If he had had a great season, his decision this spring would've been either the draft or staying at ND.

I think one thing that has been missed in all these threads about Golson's decision to leave and what it says about him is an analysis of the opposite situation. The situation where you have a player who has a 5th year of eligibility left who wants to come back but the coach doesn't give him the option. If we look at the situation cynically is the coach turning his back on the player? Is he quitting on him? Can we conclude that the coach is selfishly looking out for what is best for him and his program?

Listen, I get why coaches, including CBK, don't ask certain 5th year candidates back and I think it's OK. I don't think we should look unfavorably at those decisions. After all, if a coach is able to help a player get his college degree, hasn't he met all his obligations to that player? Does he owe him anything more? And should we think less of a coach when he doesn't offer more?

Everett Golson earned and received his degree. As a graduate he has earned the right to look over his options and choose what is best for him, just as all graduates have that right, and we shouldn't think less of him if he thinks his best opportunity is somewhere other than ND.

ADVERTISEMENT