ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant out first 4 Games.

and so it (shooting yourself in the foot) begins.

Stupid behavior followed by excessive (by football factory school standards) disciplinary action.

Beginning to think that GB will contue to be exactly what we have seen the past 2 years.
We will be left wondering, "all that talent...what happened?"

Last edited:
And so it does start to begin...The great off season.....

Its a loss of God given talent. There is no doubt of that.

I don't think it will amount to much on the field. Between Folston carrying as the number 1. And C.J. playing into the depth chart as a Percy Harvin build. Bryant's carries were already getting limited.

Reactions: end_23
look for James O. to get some practice as a possible "backup contingency". Not that he is better than the incoming guys but he is more physically ready.

A rotation of Folston and Prosise in the backfield, mixing in Dexter Williams should be fine.

It may open up some more reps for Hunter/Aliz'e Jones in the slot as well.

It's certainly not a good thing that he's suspended, but not crippling loss either.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Well. I am sure this is an issue on every major D1 team in the country. Yes he shouldn't done it and everyone can play that card. I look at it, as he is grown and makes his own decisions. Unfortunately it affects other people. But it is still his life

My dad and I were just commenting yesterday how it's been a quiet offseason so far. I told him that I wouldn't get my hopes up until the day of the Texas game that we would have all of our players for that one. Didn't have to wait long!

Hate to hear this. For someone who has had trouble getting on the field, this makes matter worse for him.

I don't know who is at fault here. I can say with certainty that I have never seen so many issues with football players being suspended. Kelly recruited these guys. Granted, he cannot babysit all of them. However at some point you have to wonder what is going on. Are these the RKG's Kelly was talking about? I know kids do dumb things. Whatever happenes, Bryant has to take responsibility. Kelly also needs to take responsibility. He is the head coach and it is ultimately up to him to keep the players in line.

Too bad; dumb decision by Bryant. This hurts our depth at RB those first 4 games. Folston and Procise will need to carry most of the load, but we should be fine.

bubbaj75 is such a joke.he talks about Kelly losing control but yet he forgets that harbaugh basically got ran off by the 49ers players because they didn't like playing for him anymore

bubbaj75 is such a joke.he talks about Kelly losing control but yet he forgets that harbaugh basically got ran off by the 49ers players because they didn't like playing for him anymore
Harbaugh and 49'ers owner hated each other. Educate yourself, son

The older I get the less "surprised" I am. Live and learn......
The older I get the more disappointed in people. Look at how screwed up this country has become in so many areas and nobody wants to be responsible. I hope the best for the kid but won't be surprised if he does little.

you need to educate yourself bubbaj75 because there were clear reports from the media saying that certain 49ers players were getting tired of harbaugh

I don't know who is at fault here. I can say with certainty that I have never seen so many issues with football players being suspended. Kelly recruited these guys. Granted, he cannot babysit all of them. However at some point you have to wonder what is going on. Are these the RKG's Kelly was talking about? I know kids do dumb things. Whatever happenes, Bryant has to take responsibility. Kelly also needs to take responsibility. He is the head coach and it is ultimately up to him to keep the players in line.
blaming Kelly is like blaming holtz because half his team slept with kim dunbar. it's on Bryant and no one else.

Reactions: Pennick4
I'm not a Kelly fan (at all), but this isn't his fault. It happens to every program. We may be more strict and less forgiving in administering a penalty, but this is ND. They, the players, need to understand and adjust. I'm sure everyone will adjust and go on.

The older I get the more disappointed in people. Look at how screwed up this country has become in so many areas and nobody wants to be responsible. I hope the best for the kid but won't be surprised if he does little.

Who is not taking responsibility? I haven't heard anything that GB has done anything to suggest that he is not being responsible. He is a college kid and screwed up. He's not blaming the coaches or the administration or society.

If you are trying to suggest that he is being irresponsible in smoking pot, I can understand that but, again, he's a college kid and screwed up. Also, remember that cannibus has now been legalized in 4 states and decriminalized in most of the rest. This is pretty much akin to underage drinking. He should have known better, hence the screw up.

blaming Kelly is like blaming holtz because half his team slept with kim dunbar. it's on Bryant and no one else.

Echo,
Let me clarify. I realize Bryant made a poor decision that caused him a 4 game suspension. That is on him. However, I do feel Kelly has to do a better job of recruiting kids who will not make those poor decisions. This isn't just one random incident. It is ongoing and he needs to make them understand that choices have consequences before they make that decision. Once again another key player is out of the lineup. Maybe these really aren't the RKG's.

Reactions: end_23
you need to educate yourself bubbaj75 because there were clear reports from the media saying that certain 49ers players were getting tired of harbaugh
Players getting tired of their coach doesn't equate them getting him fired. All players hate their coach.

You stated the players got him fired and that simply isn't true. Nice try, son

Echo,
Let me clarify. I realize Bryant made a poor decision that caused him a 4 game suspension. That is on him. However, I do feel Kelly has to do a better job of recruiting kids who will not make those poor decisions. This isn't just one random incident. It is ongoing and he needs to make them understand that choices have consequences before they make that decision. Once again another key player is out of the lineup. Maybe these really aren't the RKG's.
just because a kid makes a mistake it doesn't automatically make him the wrong kind guy. players have been screwing up at nd and every other school for years. do you really think nd has had nothing but altar boys all this time ? nd is not immune nor will it be. please tell me how in the world ANY coach can predict what kind of decisions a kid he is recruiting will make years down the line. they are no different than the rest of society. we're human.

just because a kid makes a mistake it doesn't automatically make him the wrong kind guy. players have been screwing up at nd and every other school for years. do you really think nd has had nothing but altar boys all this time ? nd is not immune nor will it be. please tell me how in the world ANY coach can predict what kind of decisions a kid he is recruiting will make years down the line. they are no different than the rest of society. we're human.

I never said they have " alter boys" or even implied it. All I am saying is that if ND and Kelly want high standards for their players, then he should go after those players. Saying kids do dumb things at all schools is a cop out. I would tell them before you decide to go to ND here's what will happen if you screw up. What good is having any players with the constant threat of them doing the wrong thing and getting suspended or kicked out. Why even recruit them. I don't see many Stanford players doing these things. Do you? They seem to be pretty good with " alter boys".

We are all myopic when it comes to college football. We are ALL IN for the Irish. Step back and look at other D1 programs around the country. Players are suspended ALL THE TIME! You name a team, there will be a handful of guys in the last several years. Some famous/starters, but most are the nobody's that only a die hard fan of that team would know.

It seems worse for us, but it's not. In fact, I'll bet 90% of college football fans of teams other than ND are unaware that ND had 5 player suspended last year for academics. I'll bet 99% of those fans wouldn't be able to name one player from the Frozen Five.

(But after this season when K. Russell lights it up and goes 1st round in the draft, the story will be a little more widely known.)

4 games ? compared to what we have seen the past few years this isn't that bad. What could he have possibly done to "only" get 4 games ?

The masses are begging for the running game to be featured and now ND is done to one proven RB. I'm sure Ole Four Wide Kelly is devastated about this suspension!

The masses are begging for the running game to be featured and now ND is done to one proven RB. I'm sure Ole Four Wide Kelly is devastated about this suspension!
Can't go 4 wide with a QB who can't throw. Load the box with 10 men vs ND

Well, just as I bought tickets to go to the UVA game today.

SMH, Greg.

Malik can't throw? Wow, I didn't know that. What is the basis for that statement? I disagree.

I never said they have " alter boys" or even implied it. All I am saying is that if ND and Kelly want high standards for their players, then he should go after those players. Saying kids do dumb things at all schools is a cop out. I would tell them before you decide to go to ND here's what will happen if you screw up. What good is having any players with the constant threat of them doing the wrong thing and getting suspended or kicked out. Why even recruit them. I don't see many Stanford players doing these things. Do you? They seem to be pretty good with " alter boys".
What color is the sky is your world? Kids do stupid things. Yes Stanford kids are no different. We just don't hear about them.

and rediculous as it sounds the Mod on 247 starts a thread that the suspension doesn't affect the depth chart!
(it is only 4 games; duh, lose any of those and you are headed into the USC as do or die)

Everyone talks CJP - a former DB turned Slot WR turned RB is now the savior du jour.
Paired with 1 experienced returning RB it is not a warm and fuzzy feeling to then think the Fr. are next option!
An injury to either of those 2 guys puts ND into the 1st year starter position as next man in! Even CJ is truely a 1st year starter, wherever he lines up.

I guess I can think candidly as I am not trying to sell subscriptions.

But, oh those WR's - they may just be so good that ND35 could line up in the backfield!

Reactions: HRC08
again, please tell me what coach can see years in the future during recruiting ? you're being a hindsighter. it's easy to pick the low hanging fruit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT