ADVERTISEMENT

Best Notre Dame O-Line Since Early 1990's....

Golden Domer93

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 14, 2008
It all starts up front and the Fighting Irish are loaded at o-line this season. Tell me this is not one of the best o-line in recent memory

OT MCGLINCHEY
G ELMER
C MARTIN
G BARS or NELSON
OT STANLEY

It all starts up front and the Fighting Irish are loaded at o-line this season. Tell me this is not one of the best o-line in recent memory

OT MCGLINCHEY
G ELMER
C MARTIN
G BARS or NELSON
OT STANLEY
way too soon to tell. no sample size. only Stanley is an elite talent in my opinion. the two newcomers have huge potential. I'm very high on nelson. I'm very optimistic and feel they'll gel as a cohesive unit quickly.

yup^ 2 of them struggled last season; it is all potential at this point: let the games begin!

Pardon me but Stanley the only elite talent? I'm sorry but that's crazy talk.
Stanley, McGlinchey, Nelson are all elite talent. Don't think HH would trade his group for any other in the nation.

Nelson was a top 3 tackle coming out of high school . Nick Martin should be an upgrade at center.Stanley ,a first rounder . And a lot of experience with Mc Glinchey and Elmer. ESPN college preview has Ohio State as the top line with Georgia,Arkansas ,Michigan St,TCU among the best .But ESPN does show its' bias.

You also have to remember the 2013 line, Chris Watt a rookie starter at San Diego .Zach Martin ,all pro in his rookie season with the Cowboys ,and Ron Stanley a likely early first round pick in 2016.plus Lombard,Hanratty ,Nick Martin . Hegarity ? And freshman Elmer who started late in season because of injuries to OL.

OT MCGLINCHEY
G ELMER
C MARTIN
G BARS or NELSON
OT STANLEY
I'll believe it when I see it. They didn't look all that great against a weak DL in the spring game. It'll take time to build chemistry up front. Will Kelly allow that process to play out? He seems to chuck n duck at the first sign of a problem in the run game.

Little secret is that "Golden Domer93" is "Super Irish 2005" and " Irish Glory88" so this guys see's everything with a Irish tinted glasses and has no clue about anything. Give it a few days and he will flood the board with worthless garbage.

As Perse stated...on paper. Happen to agree with the OP, but that's pure conjecture based on many variables. We'll know for sure five games in. Talent, attitude, coaching, competition, health, along the OL, etc... In concert with talented skill positions all seems aligned for a dominant line and dominant offense.

Huge difference between "a guy who will play in the NFL" and an "elite talent"... Julius Jones vs Ladanian Tomlinson, as one example.

The only member of the offensive line that has shown his potentially elite talent (still needs to get much more consistent) is Ronnie Stanley. McGlinchey is very Sam Young like. He has the frame, but now he needs to develop his strength and technique before he's close to being "elite". Nick Martin is solid, but not "elite". Steve Elmer could be very good, but I don't see Zack Martin in him. Do you? Quenton Nelson is the biggest question mark regarding his ability to be "elite", because we've yet to see him play.

In my mind, being "elite" has several tangible caveats (excluding factors such as luck and health due to their unpredictability):

1. Talent: encompasses the physical tools needed to be successful. To a degree you have it, or you don't.

2. Consistency: this factors in attention to detail, coaching, determination to be elite over a period of time and steady improvement vs stagnation.

3. Work Ethic: the "elite" guys NEED to be successful. It's all they know. They'll do what it takes to ensure their talent level is maximized, and often, their effort will surpass even their talent level.

Those are just a couple examples. "Building" an "elite" athlete is so much more than just talent meets opportunity. There are a variety of factors the play a part, IMO.

I'll believe it when I see it. They didn't look all that great against a weak DL in the spring game. It'll take time to build chemistry up front. Will Kelly allow that process to play out? He seems to chuck n duck at the first sign of a problem in the run game.
spring games are the absolute worst scenarios in which to evaluate players, coaches abhor them. nothing to be gained.

Still ,you have to admit that the Stanley,Watt,Z.Martin line along with Lombard,Elmer ,N.Martin was a very good one .
This year's group could be outstanding ,but we don't really know .

I watched the line play last year and at times Elmer and McGlinchey did not look that good .Hope their is a big improvement .

Huge difference between "a guy who will play in the NFL" and an "elite talent"... Julius Jones vs Ladanian Tomlinson, as one example.

The only member of the offensive line that has shown his potentially elite talent (still needs to get much more consistent) is Ronnie Stanley. McGlinchey is very Sam Young like. He has the frame, but now he needs to develop his strength and technique before he's close to being "elite". Nick Martin is solid, but not "elite". Steve Elmer could be very good, but I don't see Zack Martin in him. Do you? Quenton Nelson is the biggest question mark regarding his ability to be "elite", because we've yet to see him play.

In my mind, being "elite" has several tangible caveats (excluding factors such as luck and health due to their unpredictability):

1. Talent: encompasses the physical tools needed to be successful. To a degree you have it, or you don't.

2. Consistency: this factors in attention to detail, coaching, determination to be elite over a period of time and steady improvement vs stagnation.

3. Work Ethic: the "elite" guys NEED to be successful. It's all they know. They'll do what it takes to ensure their talent level is maximized, and often, their effort will surpass even their talent level.

Those are just a couple examples. "Building" an "elite" athlete is so much more than just talent meets opportunity. There are a variety of factors the play a part, IMO.

I disagree on the comparison to Sam Young. The only similarities are both are huge. Sam came in developed with a lot of skills. McGlinchey came in extremely Raw but a ton of athleticism and a mean streak. Sam was more of the sure thing but McGlinchey could have been a bust or potential first day pick.

McGlinch is far more athetic. In fact there is no commonality to compare except both were large people.

Lots of potential. Need Martin to stay healthy at Center and he'll be flanked by big, physical guards on either side. Assuming Nelson wins the job at LG, he'll be in between two very experienced players on either side of him, which ought to help with any early season questions he may have.

McGlinchey and Elmer are both big, nasty, physical guys who ought to give the OL a nice balance, with Stanley, a likely first round pick, on the left.

Compare that to the 2013 team, where ND could almost exclusively run left(behind Martin and Watt).

There's a lot to be optimistic about, now they need to go prove it.

OT MCGLINCHEY
G ELMER
C MARTIN
G BARS or NELSON
OT STANLEY

Good to see you back GD93 (SI25)...these guys will be road graders in the run game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golden Domer93
McGlinch is far more athetic. In fact there is no commonality to compare except both were large people.

McGlinchey has only started one game (LSU) and the OL had a great game that day. I think he'll be very good. Very athletic, with long arms.

Of course it is all potential. McGlinchey started 1 game last year. Martin was coming off an injury and couldn't do any work last summer on his lower body. There is a chance that this could be the best performing O-line group in years.

ADVERTISEMENT