ADVERTISEMENT

Annual 'ND still playing Charlie' thread

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
And here you go

Former Irish head coach Charlie Weis has already earned nearly $15 million in buyout money from Notre Dame and could earn more than $24.5 million by the time the school completes the buyout, according to an ESPN report.

Weis received $2,054,744 in the July 2013 through June 2014 reporting period according to Notre Dame's federal tax return, the report said. The former five-year head coach was paid $6,638,403 when he was fired, and additional payments due to Weis through December 2015 could bring the total to more than $18 million.

Weis led the Irish to back-to-back BCS Bowls after going 19-6 in his first two years with the Irish. But following 3-9, 7-6 and a 6-6 campaign in 2009, Notre Dame fired its head coach after a defeat at Stanford. Brian Kelly, who earned $1,187,272 in the 2013 reporting period, was hired in December 2009. Kelly's base pay was $995,244, the report said, though it doesn't include additional earnings from external sources.

The report also notes that athletic director Jack Swarbrick earned $1,353,430 in the same reporting period. Irish men's basketball coach Mike Brey's base pay was $992,264, but an additional $720,000 from Notre Dame Sports Properties brought his total earnings to $1,712,264. Women's basketball coach Muffet McGraw earned $1,261,311 from Notre Dame and an additional $300,000 from Notre Dame Sports Properties.

And here you go

Former Irish head coach Charlie Weis has already earned nearly $15 million in buyout money from Notre Dame and could earn more than $24.5 million by the time the school completes the buyout, according to an ESPN report.

Weis received $2,054,744 in the July 2013 through June 2014 reporting period according to Notre Dame's federal tax return, the report said. The former five-year head coach was paid $6,638,403 when he was fired, and additional payments due to Weis through December 2015 could bring the total to more than $18 million.

Weis led the Irish to back-to-back BCS Bowls after going 19-6 in his first two years with the Irish. But following 3-9, 7-6 and a 6-6 campaign in 2009, Notre Dame fired its head coach after a defeat at Stanford. Brian Kelly, who earned $1,187,272 in the 2013 reporting period, was hired in December 2009. Kelly's base pay was $995,244, the report said, though it doesn't include additional earnings from external sources.

The report also notes that athletic director Jack Swarbrick earned $1,353,430 in the same reporting period. Irish men's basketball coach Mike Brey's base pay was $992,264, but an additional $720,000 from Notre Dame Sports Properties brought his total earnings to $1,712,264. Women's basketball coach Muffet McGraw earned $1,261,311 from Notre Dame and an additional $300,000 from Notre Dame Sports Properties.
Lessons learned the hard way.

Part of that $24.5 Million includes $5.63 Million that he gets from Kansas. So at least its not as bad as it looks...:confused:

Really... Honestly.... That doesn't make it better... It just makes ND look as dumb at football as Kansas..

as usual echo with his pathological hatred of CW is wrong. There are numerous examples of coaches who have earned big bucks after being fired.

Your stupid hatred blinds you to reality.

Or more likely you only became a fan in the last 7 or 8 years.

I remember the absolute depression and pessimism as TYTANIC ended his run. You want an example of someone who earned a lot more for doing less there he is. Between ND and Washington he made a mint for doing nothing much at all after his first 8 games. Or to be blunt who got paid more for losses then Tytanic?

Then you add in his absolute disgraceful so called recruiting his last year or so.

THEN BAD MOUTHING ND after he was rightfully fired.

Meanwhile you once again have a convenient memory- it was all over the sports media how ND would never again be able to compete becuase we could not get the top athletes. Tytanic certainly seemed to prove that.

Then CW comes in and comes withing a disputed play of knocking off the team many were calling one of the greatest of all times. He actually was getting 5 stars to come here- which many claimed would not happen anymore.

He goes to two BCS bowls his first two years.

Now the signs were there is you looked for them but how many did?

certainly not the AD. Or anyone else in authority at ND. So they gave him that stupid contract. Which was ALL ON THEM. Echo seems to thinks its CW's fault that ND got so stupid. What was he supposed to do- TURN IT DOWN?

And then the wheels started to come off. EVERYONE knew his third year would be bad since Tytanic had recruited so badly. We just did not know how bad it was going to get. After that year you could pretty much tell CW was NOT going to be a top HC. But ND held on- they should have dumped him and paid the money then but stupid is as stupid does. And CW sill managed to recruit much better than TYTANIC did as guess whose recruits were the corp of the team that played for the NC?

It was dumb but somewhat understandable the extension- but not tossing him after year three was just idiotic as by then it was clear he was not the answer. Got to wonder what Kansas was thinking when they hired him. THAT was the dumbest move of all by anyone.

The Florida Marlins or whatever they are called now are paying three managers right now. Two were fired and one was recently hired and that cat hasn't managed a baseball game since he was a high school coach according to ESPN.

The one thing Charlie did that was intelligent was to hire Super Agent Bob LaMonte. Charlie didn't negotiate any of his contract demands.............Bob LaMonte did.

And FWIW, the folks in Kansas feel like they got screwed just as badly as ND if you can imagine that!

Lawyers Everywhere To Build a Shrine to Charlie Weis' Agent, the GOAT.
By Mark Seymour@OurDailyBears on Dec 15, 2011, 1:31p 3

TweetShare on Twitter ShareShare on Facebook PinPinterest 3 Comments
I know that Kansas people think I'm piling on at this point (primarily because I received an email a few minutes ago from a Kansas fan that asked me to stop piling on), but I want you to know that I'm not saying anything negative about you as fans when I make fun of Charlie Weis. Having Weis around as your coach isn't necessarily a negative about your fanbase and doesn't mean that you are not all special little snowflakes. It shouldn't even really say anything about your university as a whole that your administration managed to fail so spectacularly in its coaching search that you hired an overrated retread with almost no chance of success at your school. Believe me when I tell you that it isn't your fault. It's not your fault, Kansas fans. Get in here for a hug. It's not your fault.

That being said, this story just got a whole lot worse for you if the reports are true that you have to pay Charlie Weis $12.5 million guaranteed as long as he isn't fired for cause. Let's say he goes 0-12 next season and loses every game by 60 points but doesn't violate any of the listed terms constituting just cause for his termination. You just paid $2.5 million for that season and will still owe $10 million more whether you decide to fire or keep him.

WOW. That's more than double the guaranteed amount you gave Turner Gil, which was $6 million. You could hypothetically end up paying $18.5 million in the next five years to two coaches who don't even work for you anymore (assuming Weis was fired).

Charlie Weis has the best agent on Earth. He gets to take over a job where there is almost nowhere to go but up, do as little as he chooses to do since there are basically no expectations, and get paid $12.5 million no matter what as long as he avoids sexually harassing someone or lighting the buildings on fire (among other things). He might even be able to get away with arson if he could cover his tracks well enough. We can't assume at this point that Weis is not a skilled arsonist.

Let's look at a few other things from that article in Weis' contract:

• Weis gets $2.1 million in a budget for assistant coaches. That's $4.6 million Kansas is going to be paying per year for their entire football coaching staff.
  • 5 Big XII wins in a given season nets him $50k with $10k for each additional win. Shouldn't be a problem for Kansas to save money here.
  • Win the Big XII, get $100k. Might as well have put $100 million. That's not happening. Same for the BCS appear provision, which gives Weis $100k. A BCS win gives him another $50k on top of that.
  • Bowl game = $100k. Bowl win = an extra $50k. It's sad that you have to incentivize winning bowl games, but I assume that's standard practice.
  • Finally, his contract requires KU to charter planes for his wife and daughter, who has special needs, to fly from their home in Florida to every game if they so choose. They are not relocating to Lawrence with Weis.
Chartered planes aren't cheap, and neither is Charlie Weis. I was curious why he would take this job when it was first announced and just assumed it was because of the money. Everybody loves money. I never though, even after hearing how much they were going to pay him, that the contract would be fully guaranteed. He could show up without pants on every day and try to get himself fired and still get $12.5 million. TWELVE POINT FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. GUARANTEED. I need to study at the feet of this agent. Learn his ways. He has so much to teach us. I think getting Charlie Weis $12.5 million might be more impressive than anything Scott Boras has ever done. At least everyone knew that Alex Rodriguez was really, really good in 2001.

Reactions: echowaker
as usual echo with his pathological hatred of CW is wrong. There are numerous examples of coaches who have earned big bucks after being fired.

Your stupid hatred blinds you to reality.

Or more likely you only became a fan in the last 7 or 8 years.

I remember the absolute depression and pessimism as TYTANIC ended his run. You want an example of someone who earned a lot more for doing less there he is. Between ND and Washington he made a mint for doing nothing much at all after his first 8 games. Or to be blunt who got paid more for losses then Tytanic?

Then you add in his absolute disgraceful so called recruiting his last year or so.

THEN BAD MOUTHING ND after he was rightfully fired.

Meanwhile you once again have a convenient memory- it was all over the sports media how ND would never again be able to compete becuase we could not get the top athletes. Tytanic certainly seemed to prove that.

Then CW comes in and comes withing a disputed play of knocking off the team many were calling one of the greatest of all times. He actually was getting 5 stars to come here- which many claimed would not happen anymore.

He goes to two BCS bowls his first two years.

Now the signs were there is you looked for them but how many did?

certainly not the AD. Or anyone else in authority at ND. So they gave him that stupid contract. Which was ALL ON THEM. Echo seems to thinks its CW's fault that ND got so stupid. What was he supposed to do- TURN IT DOWN?

And then the wheels started to come off. EVERYONE knew his third year would be bad since Tytanic had recruited so badly. We just did not know how bad it was going to get. After that year you could pretty much tell CW was NOT going to be a top HC. But ND held on- they should have dumped him and paid the money then but stupid is as stupid does. And CW sill managed to recruit much better than TYTANIC did as guess whose recruits were the corp of the team that played for the NC?

It was dumb but somewhat understandable the extension- but not tossing him after year three was just idiotic as by then it was clear he was not the answer. Got to wonder what Kansas was thinking when they hired him. THAT was the dumbest move of all by anyone.
of course there are lots of other coaches who were getting paid after being fired. I stand by my statement. talk to people who worked in the building when weis was there. I have. been a huge fan of notre dame likely longer than you have. of course Willingham was bad. he just wasn't the arrogant blowhard to people weis was.

This fool echo has been claiming that NE Pats did nothing wrong and that cheating is normal. Now we hear the owner of the Pats will not even appeal. Has echo admitted that he doesn't know a thing about football or how to compete with dignity and respect for the rules?

Go Irish!

Charlie ain't "played" anywhere, or anything, for a LONG time. Maybe a little gin rummy.;)

Ty couldn't even compete against usc teams while at ND. Charlie went to two BCS games, got to with in one play of beating $C - twice.

Anyone saying Willingham was better than Weis just never followed recruiting last decade. There is a reason why Ty got fired after three years. He refused to recruit. Do some research. He's a fraud. Charlie is a bad HC, but he worked his tail off getting the no. 1 recruiting class in the country in 2008.

This fool echo has been claiming that NE Pats did nothing wrong and that cheating is normal. Now we hear the owner of the Pats will not even appeal. Has echo admitted that he doesn't know a thing about football or how to compete with dignity and respect for the rules?

Go Irish!
please cite one post where I said new England did nothing wrong. I stand by my opinion that the whole incident is much ado about nothing. small potatoes, a parking ticket. the nfl's own guidelines only call for a 25k fine for psi tampering. my long standing history playing and coaching football speaks for itself. I know the rules and the game just fine thank you. perhaps I just have a better perspective on how things operate than you.

Reactions: Bodizephax
morons like echo are the price we pay for being ND fans. By the way moron, have been a fan for 45 years. Probably about 4 times as long as you.
gee, you're wrong...again. I've been a fan since conception. my parents went to a notre dame game as a part of their honeymoon. I was actively recruited by notre dame in the 80's. anything else I can educate you about ? the name calling is very mature.

echowaker, what sport were you recruited for? Pretty cool that you were being recruited by Notre Dame.
football. still have the letters.i knew though that I wasn't a good fit in holtzs offense. didn't have the feet for it. they stopped recruiting me in the fall of my senior year after they got a couple of commitments. I ended up at mich st. no regrets.

perhaps I just have a better perspective on how things operate than you

I don't think so. You support the cheaters and the rapists. That's what you do. Perhaps that why ND stopped recruiting you? Your lack of respect for playing within the rules. The fact you teach kids to be the same is no surprise. That doesn't make it right. You should have quit coaching rather than pass on your disrepect. If it were no big deal, or a parking ticket, as you say, the Pats wouldn't lose a 1st round pick. Perhaps those who know see things from a different perspective from you? I know I do.
I don't teach kids to cheat and you your an outright liar for stating such. when have I ever supported rapists ? that's a libelous comment. you make up more things than our resident schizophrenic . again, I'm able to put things in perspective. few things in this world are as black and white as you would like. you think nd has had complete integrity in their football program the last 50 years ? goodness are you naïve.

I don't teach kids to cheat and you your an outright liar for stating such. when have I ever supported rapists ? that's a libelous comment. you make up more things than our resident schizophrenic . again, I'm able to put things in perspective. few things in this world are as black and white as you would like. you think nd has had complete integrity in their football program the last 50 years ? goodness are you naïve.

He is our resident schizophrenic using yet another alias.

As a matter of fact, yes I do think ND has made every attempt to run a program with integrity. You have repeatedly said you think it there is no cheating with the Pats. You are wrong and the NFL has stated as such. You are the one teaching these things to kids. That's what you have made clear in your posts.

That's the difference, we with integrity attempt to run programs and our own lives with integrity. We may fail at times, but we make an effort.

Your approach is that everyone cheats, so you do. No problem, at least man up to your opinions as you state them here.

As a matter of fact, yes I do think ND has made every attempt to run a program with integrity. You have repeatedly said you think it there is no cheating with the Pats. You are wrong and the NFL has stated as such. You are the one teaching these things to kids. That's what you have made clear in your posts.

That's the difference, we with integrity attempt to run programs and our own lives with integrity. We may fail at times, but we make an effort.

Your approach is that everyone cheats, so you do. No problem, at least man up to your opinions as you state them here.

You have and never will have anything to do with Notre Dame other than trying to ruin a message board.

Hey CGMR- Sgt American Beauty likes you! Leave the back door open for him and he'll drive in later.

Kisses and Hugs baby!

Bodi- With respect to you and I enjoy your posts and your posting very much. And, I will admit that 78 at times has good football posts. But he attacks me at every chance with personal attacks and other paranoid schizo behavior.Always unprovoked. Most often with and supporting noles. So, I throw back. It's fun.

Again, post on Bodi! and..

Go Irish!

wow are you clueless. never said the pats didn't cheat. they got 30 years hard labor for a parking ticket. the nfl didn't even follow their OWN guidelines.

You just don't get it. They cheated in a championship game for an entire half that is known. That isn't a parking ticket. The NFL sees it. They lost a 1st round draft pick. And a 4th round pick. I see it. You choose not to. Your choice.

Go Irish!

You just don't get it. They cheated in a championship game for an entire half that is known. That isn't a parking ticket. The NFL sees it. They lost a 1st round draft pick. And a 4th round pick. I see it. You choose not to. Your choice.

Go Irish!
comprehension not your strong suit ? NFL guidelines call for a 25k fine for psi tampering. doesn't mention a word about specific games. one would think that if it was as big a deal as some believe it is the fine would be much more significant given its a multi billion dollar enterprise. pats should have been fined 25k as the rules are stated.

I agree with the NFL. So, I comprehend that.

The NFL followed the rules. The Pats did not. If there were any chance the NFL was wrong, Kraft would have appealed. He lost a 1st round pick, and a million dollars. Hundreds of millions of dollars were at stake. And the integrity of the league.

Again, I see it, the NFL sees it. You don't. That's your choice.

Go Irish!

I agree with the NFL. So, I comprehend that.

The NFL followed the rules. The Pats did not. If there were any chance the NFL was wrong, Kraft would have appealed. He lost a 1st round pick, and a million dollars. Hundreds of millions of dollars were at stake. And the integrity of the league.

Again, I see it, the NFL sees it. You don't. That's your choice.

Go Irish!
way to dodge the issue. typical.

I'm sorry, the issue is the Pats deflated the balls in a championship football game to give them an unfair advantage with probably billions of dollars being gambled and otherwise at stake. They were caught for cheating and fined very heavily. You disagree with it and fell it is a parking ticket. That is your opinion. That does not make it true. It only makes it your opinion.

I agree with the NFL. You don't.

Otherwise, I know your a ND football fan and we disagree on this issue. Enjoy your day. No dodging issues.

Go Irish!

According to the people at Kansas CW would fall asleep in team meetings and drool.

big_sbn_logo_dark.vd93497c.png

• Charlie Weis allegedly falling asleep during Kansas team meetings

Bodi- With respect to you and I enjoy your posts and your posting very much. And, I will admit that 78 at times has good football posts. But he attacks me at every chance with personal attacks and other paranoid schizo behavior.Always unprovoked. Most often with and supporting noles. So, I throw back. It's fun.

Again, post on Bodi! and..

Go Irish!
He attacks you because with each passing post you sound more and more like the hypocritical, dishonest and biased village idiot that pollutes this board. Everyone attacks argus and all of his 22+ usernames. If you sound like him (and you do more and more) then you'll get ridiculed more and more.

Just simple logic. Don't blame 78. He's a great poster and calls 'em like he sees 'em. Even if he doesn't care for me either.

I love the sports media from Chicago. They bent over backwards and jumped summersaults at the mere mention of Jackie Robinson West Little League but spent hours dissecting and criticizing The NE Pats and deflate gate as they cleverly like to call it. You want the very definition of cheating that will give you a real advantage, look no further than the adults at JRW Little League.

Charlie Weis had one win against a team that finished in the top twenty five in his five years at Notre Dame (Against #25 Penn State in 2006).
Ty Willingham was terrible but not as bad as Charlie.

I have almost no love for Charlie.

But he recruited far better, and motivated players he had better then Ty ever did.

One of the biggest problems Ty had, was filling the roster, and getting those there to compete at their top level. If you put a gun to my head and said pick one. It would have been Charlie simply for his ability to get it done on signing day. Even if game day sucked.

Charlie won with Tys recruits. Ty had one great recruiting year which got Charlie to two bcs bowl games. Tys teams beat a highly ranked Tennessee team and Florida State. Ty was a terrible coach but Charlie was even worse. Ty was the tallest midget.
charlie-weis-facebookl.jpg

Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT